Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT Jobs in Melbourne

IT Jobs in Melbourne

Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

alexstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Jobs in Melbourne

Can anyone recommend any IT recruitment agencies that i can approach from here in the UK about looking for employment in Melbourne.

I have looked on Seek.com.au but most of the agencies seem contactable only through job applications.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Alex
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

husaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Re: IT Jobs in Melbourne

Originally Posted by alexstein
Can anyone recommend any IT recruitment agencies that i can approach from here in the UK about looking for employment in Melbourne.

I have looked on Seek.com.au but most of the agencies seem contactable only through job applications.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Alex
Try these ....
www.seek.com.au
www.careerone.com.au
www.hays.com.au
www.michaelpage.com.au
hudson.com
www.jobsearch.com.au
www.workplace.gov.au
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:14 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Jobs in Melbourne

If you are planning on going over for a reccie at any point, or maybe a validation trip, my OH found that the agencies were very approachable & invited him (& his CV!) for several coffees when we were over there. They freely gave of their time & advice even though we aren't planning on actually making the move just yet
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

alexstein is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

I need to find a company to work for that will end up sponsoring me ideally thus am looking for a good agency who has a good relationship with their clients.

A
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: IT Jobs in Melbourne

Originally Posted by JenniGee
If you are planning on going over for a reccie at any point, or maybe a validation trip, my OH found that the agencies were very approachable & invited him (& his CV!) for several coffees when we were over there. They freely gave of their time & advice even though we aren't planning on actually making the move just yet
Yep. I had the same experience.

Greythorn are another worth trying.

Buzzy
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alexstein
Thanks for the replies.

I need to find a company to work for that will end up sponsoring me ideally thus am looking for a good agency who has a good relationship with their clients.

A
Whilst these are good points you need to know that the market has been depressed for the last year. It has been forecast to pick up in the coming months. All the agents I have met in the last year or two have come over as friendly, helpful and attentive to your needs but when it comes to the crunch they don't shape up. Sure they spend an hour with you and pay for the coffee but that's an hour plus out of the office and the coffees are company-provided expenses. Your best bet would be to go for the larger agencies who have the resources at hand to arrange sponsorship. Bon Chance!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:54 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Any one with Cloud computing or Virtualisation experience?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:31 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Sure discobay, the agencies have still to prove their worth & actually deliver a job, but in terms of approachability my OH found them very helpful. Of course, in a depressed market you could argue that there's nothing else for these guys to do but get out of the office, but to us it demonstrates that they are still enthusiastic, still cultivating leads & contacts & will be consequently well-placed for when things get better. A far cry from the attitude we have found here in London, where many agents seem to have shut up shop for the forseeable, a negative approach that surely must impact on confidenc & recovery.

Another factor that we have found to be an issue, is that until an applicant actually has their visa & has landed in Oz, it's impossible for the agent to separate the genuine applicant from the dreamer. Therefore despite the many coffees OH has enjoyed, this won't transform into an actual introduction to a company until we land. You can completely understand this approach - the agent has his reputation & relationship with the client to protect & it would be daft to put forward applicants that don't actually migrate; at the end of the day that's a waste of time for everyone...including the many genuine applicants who's chances are spoiled by the many timewasters, or those who simply at the end of the day, decide migrating isn't for them.

Best of luck
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Legion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Yes have worked with Vmware, but not cloud computing.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
You looking for Cloud Programming or hosting/managing? Vmware or Azure..
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:57 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
You looking for Cloud Programming or hosting/managing? Vmware or Azure..
Vmware
hosting and managing