Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs, did anyone else notice this?

Jobs, did anyone else notice this?

Old Oct 9th 2003, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Jobs, did anyone else notice this?

From living here I know there are many jobs in the following industries. Construction, carpenters in particular, plus many other trades. Care professions, such as aged care. With the Summer coming on loads of jobs in hospitality. However..........

Hardly anybody out of the 85 odd replies is in these fields!

Just seems a odd situation, jobs are here, but are those people being targetted?

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 3:43 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Jobs, did anyone else notice this?

Originally posted by dotty
From living here I know there are many jobs in the following industries. Construction, carpenters in particular, plus many other trades. Care professions, such as aged care. With the Summer coming on loads of jobs in hospitality. However..........

Hardly anybody out of the 85 odd replies is in these fields!

Just seems a odd situation, jobs are here, but are those people being targetted?

Any thoughts?
If you are brickie, plumber, painter and decorater, sparky.. anything in the building industry - you will walk into a job here.

As you know there's a huge shortage of people in the construction trade with all these new homes going up.

These house building companies are crying out for people here.

I know nothing about IT.. but it seems the people who are having trouble is in this line of work. I know from reading the weekend paper here, in the job section there are hardly any IT jobs.

Cheers
Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jobs, did anyone else notice this?

Originally posted by Ceri
If you are brickie, plumber, painter and decorater, sparky.. anything in the building industry - you will walk into a job here.

As you know there's a huge shortage of people in the construction trade with all these new homes going up.

These house building companies are crying out for people here.

I know nothing about IT.. but it seems the people who are having trouble is in this line of work. I know from reading the weekend paper here, in the job section there are hardly any IT jobs.

Cheers
IT went through a triple boom of dot com, year 2000 and the PC becoming a must have business tool. The 3 combined to send salaries through the roof.

Now that the dust has settled companies have developed programs to make IT departments more efficient. The other recent development is the oursourcing of call centre work to India.

India and China have a large unemployed IT graduate skill base to draw on who can be paid a fraction of what would be acceptable in Australia.

I am now thinking what am I doing in this industry with little future. As soon as I get PR I will be looking at doing a Systems Analysis course. If you cannot beat em join the buggers who are outsourcing you.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Outsourcing has had its day. Insourcing is the new Outsourcing.

A lot of IT departments have cut staff and this has meant that assuming these people weren’t completely useless in the first place, they will be the first back in the door when any vacancies arise. Better the devil you know sort of thing.

A lot of IT departments will go through their list of ex-contractors/employees. Phone them up to see what they were doing and offer them a job. No agencies or anything. Great when you are employing, not so great if you are looking for a job.

In Sydney, it is not untypical to get about 400 applicants for a role. Half can be thrown out immediately. Out of the 200, there will be about 40 that can probably do the job. 40 whittled down to 5-10 for interview based on availability, references, personality (whatever can be gleaned from the CV), age, team fit, known to existing staff, and even family circumstances.

I am, off course, generalising here, and if you have specific required skills the odds will improve. The trick is to get yourself to the top of the list by whatever means available.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I was called yesterday for the first time in a year. It was a Crystal Reports/Crystal Entreprise job. Starts in 2 weeks. GAP Consulting was the Agency and CBD was the location. No idea of the pay but impossible for me with hols coming up.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 5:08 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dracupg
Outsourcing has had its day. Insourcing is the new Outsourcing.

A lot of IT departments have cut staff and this has meant that assuming these people weren’t completely useless in the first place, they will be the first back in the door when any vacancies arise. Better the devil you know sort of thing.

A lot of IT departments will go through their list of ex-contractors/employees. Phone them up to see what they were doing and offer them a job. No agencies or anything. Great when you are employing, not so great if you are looking for a job.

In Sydney, it is not untypical to get about 400 applicants for a role. Half can be thrown out immediately. Out of the 200, there will be about 40 that can probably do the job. 40 whittled down to 5-10 for interview based on availability, references, personality (whatever can be gleaned from the CV), age, team fit, known to existing staff, and even family circumstances.

I am, off course, generalising here, and if you have specific required skills the odds will improve. The trick is to get yourself to the top of the list by whatever means available.
I so hope you are right with the fashion changing

I am operating with a virtual outsourced team in India and although a lovely bunch of people it has made the working life nearly impossible in some areas. The day to day tasks are comminication intensive and you just do not have that close enough working relationship with email and phone calls. Cheaper they may be to the company but cost in terms of timing and product are starting to show. But probably while the balance sheet looks good it will go on for now!

Cheers