Reload this Page >

IT jobs in Brisbane

IT jobs in Brisbane

Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:08 am
Just Joined

bell_a_ring is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT jobs in Brisbane

Hello,

I was also asking in my previous post about jobs in Perth. How do the IT jobs in Brisbane look like? How long do you have to wait before you get a permanent job in IT?

Where is the good neighborhood that I can buy a house? Not too expensive though. My budget should be around 180K-220K

Is my budget too low?

Thanks.
Billy.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT jobs in Brisbane

Originally posted by bell_a_ring

Where is the good neighborhood that I can buy a house? Not too expensive though. My budget should be around 180K-220K

Is my budget too low?
Yes.

Reality check!!!

Double it & you might be able to get something half decent that doesnt need a load of work & where it wont take you more than an hour to get to work.

You should just about be able to afford a house in Woodridge for the sort of price you are talking about.

As for IT, its the same as everywhere, it depends very much on the job you do in IT (lets face it, its a huge field) & your skill set. In general there are way too many applicants for too few positions, your best bets are Sydney & Melbourne, not Perth or Brisbane.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I.T. and other jobs- QLD Govt

Just doing my regular browse through the sites I search for jobs and looked on this one for the first time in a week or so- it jogged my memory with regard to IT jobs. Dunno if it will be any good, and it has most probably been mentioned before, I apologise if that's the case but today there are about 10 jobs or so in the IT category.
Plus loads of others, there's even a couple I might try for myself, not in IT though.
Hope this helps

http://www.jobs.qld.gov.au/occupation/default/asp[/url]

Cheers, Marc.

Last edited by Foggies; Oct 14th 2003 at 1:18 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: IT jobs in Brisbane

Originally posted by bell_a_ring
Hello,

I was also asking in my previous post about jobs in Perth. How do the IT jobs in Brisbane look like? How long do you have to wait before you get a permanent job in IT?

Is my budget too low?

Thanks.
Billy.

If this is in Aussie Dollars then it is totally unrealistic.
If it is in sterling then converted you could buy a nice 4 bed house for $400-$500. The cheapest 4 bed house would be around $350 000.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

The CHEAPEST house is $350k, so pardon me for asking as i know it has nothing to do with me but, what does the average mr and mrs just starting out do for a home, a tent? a caravan? Surely not everyone has huge amounts of money to throw at housing (i know we certainly dont)

Lynn
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Just trying to be realistic. If you look on the websites you can't get much for less than $350 000 around Brisbane or Coastal areas (4 bed). Unless you are prepared to move inland where I am told it is unbearably hot in the Summer. Some houses look cheap but are probably in the undesirable areas!
It is still cheaper than Syd and Mel but has advanced a bit from Perth prices.

Take a look on www.ljhooker.com.au www.raywhite.com.au and see the prices

Last edited by tinaj; Oct 14th 2003 at 9:40 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:22 pm
owieb

Originally posted by lynnj
The CHEAPEST house is $350k, so pardon me for asking as i know it has nothing to do with me but, what does the average mr and mrs just starting out do for a home, a tent? a caravan? Surely not everyone has huge amounts of money to throw at housing (i know we certainly dont)

Lynn
Perth is cheaper than Brisbane by the sounds of it, but even so you're still going to be looking at spending $250K-$300K for something half decent in a good area around Perth, unless you move out of town and say go to Rockingham, Mandurah etc.

It is really scarey what the prices are doing at the moment. Where we are living they are selling cr*p for $500-$550K, last year these same properties where up for around $350K-$400K!

Don't rush into buying a property, although it is tempting to try and get into the market as soon as possible, you really do need to view a few areas and maybe try and rent somewhere in them first.

But if you do find a house that you really like and can afford it then snap it up quick before it doubles in price!

Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:36 pm
WBB

we are moving inland a little to avoid the sky high brisbane property prices, we have seen houses that need little or no work selling for beetween 150 and 200 thousand dollars.
or why not consider building a new home as we are.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:37 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnj

Lynn
Lynn, as Tina has pointed out, we are being realistic & remember, we are talking about Brisbane, not other cities. But $350K is a realistic budget for what he wants. He specifically asked for a nice area & a house. There are plenty of options under that price, but they arent what he specified. Prices in the cheaper parts of Logan & Ipswich start around the $180-$200K for a house & go up from there. Also if you have limited money then a townhouse or unit might be more suitable. In those areas they usually start at about $120K (dont hold me to that, not as conversant with the townhouse market as I dont deal in it). As you go up the ladder & move to better areas prices go up accordingly. And better areas mean closer to the city which means less commute time.

I did make the assumption that he was talking about $ not pounds, if he meant pounds then he shouldnt have a problem finding something. Also the assumption is that hes talking about how much money he will be able to put into the house to be mortgage free, he could always borrow to increase his budget.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Hi Billy,

I don't know much about IT jobs so can't help you there!

Agree with other members.House prices have shot up and its still a sellers market with few bargains to be found.However property is still cheaper here than Sydney /Melbourne.

I know the "Australian dream"is to own a house on a block of land but have you thought of buying a townhouse or unit (flat).They don't appreciate in value as much as houses(due to the land value) but are a foot in the door of the property market.My town house has doubled in value in the last 5 years!Have a look at www.realestate.com.au and select townhouses/units.

The older style units are usually in blocks of 6 and are cheaper the farther you go out from the CBD.They usually have a balcony or 2 and a garage.They were built in the 60's 70's and don't have much character but are okay if you are young and single or a couple( not ideal with kids).

Townhouses are usually in complexes from 2 to about 50 dwellings with common areas eg barbecue and swimming pools and gardens.They are usually brick veneer and have small courtyards.They are popular with retirees, investors and singles being low maintainance and secure.

You have to pay Body Corporate fees to cover maintainance,building and liability insurance with units and townhouses.This varies depending on the facilities.

You would be able to get something in this price range in the middle to outer suburbs.Best to buy something near amenities and public transport.

Hope this is some help,
Mary

Last edited by mary1; Oct 14th 2003 at 10:49 pm.