Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs for 40+ Professionals

Jobs for 40+ Professionals

Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice
Wink Jobs for 40+ Professionals

Will some professionals who are 40+ share their experiences of finding jobs after migrating to Australia. I am a Civil Engineer/40 Years wnd will be moving to Oz by Grace of God in 2009.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future
Default Re: Jobs for 40+ Professionals

Hi, if you asked a few months ago I would have said, dont worry just turn up, now its slightly more of a saturated market.

Age doesnt seem to matter in QLD, they couldnt get enough of them. I am working as a consultant to a large company paid a civil engineers rate and still they are looking for more. Dare I say it, applicants that have good qualifications from a recognised establishment and a good command of english will favoured.

Look at careerone.com.au and seek.com.au and talk to agencies such as Hays etc, mind you get your visa first.

Good Luck
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

ottg will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Letspretend....
Hi, if you asked a few months ago I would have said, dont worry just turn up, now its slightly more of a saturated market.

Age doesnt seem to matter in QLD, they couldnt get enough of them. I am working as a consultant to a large company paid a civil engineers rate and still they are looking for more. Dare I say it, applicants that have good qualifications from a recognised establishment and a good command of english will favoured.

Look at careerone.com.au and seek.com.au and talk to agencies such as Hays etc, mind you get your visa first.

Good Luck
Hi

I thought to post the link to these 2 jobsites as well
This one 'crawls' across various ones http://myspider.com.au/
Very useful http://www.myfuture.edu.au/The%20Facts.aspx
This one is more IT related: http://it2.com.au/

Hope it helps!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Thanks to both of you for replying, I am looking fortward for VISA. Please guide as to whether I should start applying only after: (i) getting VISA, (ii) reaching Australia after obtaining VISA.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:21 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79
Thanks to both of you for replying, I am looking fortward for VISA. Please guide as to whether I should start applying only after: (i) getting VISA, (ii) reaching Australia after obtaining VISA.
(ii)

You could start after (i) if you really have skills that are in heavy demand, but you'll get a lot more interest if you're already in Oz with your PR visa validated. Otherwise, you're saying to a potential employer "hey, talk to me, I won't be there for several months, and I can't give you a definite date, and all you'll have to go on is my CV and an international phone call".

Cheers
b
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by benlast
(ii)

You could start after (i) if you really have skills that are in heavy demand, but you'll get a lot more interest if you're already in Oz with your PR visa validated. Otherwise, you're saying to a potential employer "hey, talk to me, I won't be there for several months, and I can't give you a definite date, and all you'll have to go on is my CV and an international phone call".

Cheers
b
There are two ways to tackle this.
1. A company can sponsor you on a Visa457. The quickest and easiest. You can after 2 years convert to a PR visa. Some people starts with a PR application straight after their visa457 BUT it needs to be lodge from outside Oz. (Speak to an immigration agent - even a holiday to Bali will do, I think)
2. Normal PR application and can take up to 1 year even if you have professional status recognised in Oz
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:19 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ottg
1. A company can sponsor you on a Visa457. The quickest and easiest.
Easy for the sponsored person, sure. Easy for the sponsoring company, perhaps - if they're used to doing it. But for most employers, it's far easier and more convenient to recruit someone who's already in Australia vs sponsoring someone from overseas. If your job market is at all competitive, then you want the advantage of being available in Australia right now.

I'm not saying sponsorship isn't an option at all, just that having PR and being in Australia is a better one.

b
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, I think I will wait for PR and thereafter move to Oz and thereafter search for Job. I suppose that will be a right approach. Thanks once again to all of you Buddies
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I think I will wait for PR and thereafter move to Oz and thereafter search for Job. I suppose that will be a right approach. Thanks once again to all of you Buddies
Yes, I agree if you have time and currently a steady job/income.
Many migrants to WA struggle to get into the market. A Catch 22; no local experience. I have spend some time to compile info on how to get into the hidden job market. Visit: www.perth-sa-migrant-support.com.au
Under 'WA economy' you will see how these markets interact and find searchable business directories for the larger businesses.

Hopes it helps you when you are ready
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I agree if you have time and currently a steady job/income.
Many migrants to WA struggle to get into the market. A Catch 22; no local experience. I have spend some time to compile info on how to get into the hidden job market. Visit: www.perth-sa-migrant-support.com.au
Under 'WA economy' you will see how these markets interact and find searchable business directories for the larger businesses.

Hopes it helps you when you are ready
Thanks Buddy. Will someone tell where is our this thread listed now as it has moved from Immigration section??
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:19 pm
Citizen Of The World

Thanks Buddy. Will someone tell where is our this thread listed now as it has moved from Immigration section??
Look up at the top of the page: it's now under Australia.
b
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

1. A company can sponsor you on a Visa457. The quickest and easiest. You can after 2 years convert to a PR visa. Some people starts with a PR application straight after their visa457 BUT it needs to be lodge from outside Oz. (Speak to an immigration agent - even a holiday to Bali will do, I think)
2. Normal PR application and can take up to 1 year even if you have professional status recognised in Oz
you don't have to wait 2 years - there are other options, eg skills assessment for ENS, high wage for ENS, RSMS, independant 175/176 etc etc

you don't have to lodge outside Oz for independant visa - just be outside when granted.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Safin
you don't have to wait 2 years - there are other options, eg skills assessment for ENS, high wage for ENS, RSMS, independant 175/176 etc etc

you don't have to lodge outside Oz for independant visa - just be outside when granted.
Dear Safin,

Thanks, I have already lodged application for VISA under 175, MODL on 20.11.2008. Lets wait for the VISA and thereafter we will proceed further as suggested. Will you be able to guide as to what courses should a Civil(Environment) Engineer further pursue to brighten chances of getting job quickly.