Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobless rate falls to 5.1%

Jobless rate falls to 5.1%

Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:06 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobless rate falls to 5.1%

yeah but 14k new net jobs added and hours increased. i'd be worried if unemp rate increased but participation rate did not.

Last edited by commonwealth; Oct 11th 2012 at 5:12 am.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:29 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it hard to believe when I'm constantly hearing so and so's lost his/her job.
We had a meeting yesterday about the downturn in the housing industry and to prepare for for less work coming our way.The mob I'm subcontracting to has reduced it's supervising staff that oversee the builds from 35 down to 12. I was told Metracon got a whole load of subbies in last week and told them there was no more work.I can't personally verify that because I don't work there. Same story from a friend of mine with another high volume builder.There are 4 major builders that I know of that are cutting back and very worried.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I find it hard to believe when I'm constantly hearing so and so's lost his/her job.
We had a meeting yesterday about the downturn in the housing industry and to prepare for for less work coming our way.The mob I'm subcontracting to has reduced it's supervising staff that oversee the builds from 35 down to 12. I was told Metracon got a whole load of subbies in last week and told them there was no more work.I can't personally verify that because I don't work there. Same story from a friend of mine with another high volume builder.There are 4 major builders that I know of that are cutting back and very worried.
Couple of empty shops up on Sydney Rd Coburg now... not seen that for a while.

Post Office is flat chat though... little wonder they haven't replaced anyone in about 2 years. Well and truly over small internet parcels... we get 10,000's of the buggers. I'm guessing that part will just get more and more.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Post Office is flat chat though... little wonder they haven't replaced anyone in about 2 years. Well and truly over small internet parcels... we get 10,000's of the buggers. I'm guessing that part will just get more and more.
I heard they're going back to push bikes.Is that true?

Last edited by ukecadet; Oct 11th 2012 at 7:33 am.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
That's surprising because most of Melbourne's main shopping strips - Chapel St, Bridge Road etc - have had loads of empty shops for ages now. Parts of Smith St are shockingly run down.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Yeah it's a bloodbath in Perth at the moment for the mining/engineering sectors, people getting chucked out all over the place but as most are contractors they don't make the stats. Whether or not this is just a blip, there should be strong oil and gas work coming next year, we don't know, but it feels far worse than the GFC days at the moment. I see WA has record employment again, doesn't feel like that at the coalface.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The ABS on Thursday reported Queensland's jobless rate has jumped to 6.3 per cent, the highest since 2009.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Yeah it's a bloodbath in Perth at the moment for the mining/engineering sectors, people getting chucked out all over the place but as most are contractors they don't make the stats. Whether or not this is just a blip, there should be strong oil and gas work coming next year, we don't know, but it feels far worse than the GFC days at the moment. I see WA has record employment again, doesn't feel like that at the coalface.
Agree with this. My OH was let go at the end of August because of 'financial constraints' and hasn't managed to get anything yet. He's been told by the agents that employers that are recruiting are looking for someone who was doing exactly the same job before and has years of experience.

They aren't looking at 'transferable skills' and seeing that a clearly intellegent individual should be able to do this job standing on their head. Nope, if you don't tick all the boxes you don't get a look in.

And he's not going to feature on any 'statistics' report - who even know's he's unemployed other than me?!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The ABS on Thursday reported Queensland's jobless rate has jumped to 6.3 per cent, the highest since 2009.
I would imagine many of Newman's recent victims don't even figure in that number yet?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
6.3%
Nationally up .3 which really can only be the start as most of the recent redundancies around the country wont even register on the figures yet.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Music to my ears. Keep on with the stories of woe it amuses me.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:32 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have family and friends there that are likely to be affected by this so I cant say it amuses me but what does amuse me is the belief it wouldnt or couldnt happen.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by isgraham
Music to my ears. Keep on with the stories of woe it amuses me.
It amuses you that people are unemployed and struggling? Well you have a kind of sick sense of humour then
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:38 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

why do i have a feeling it's all different scenario in sydney? we're hiring staff and many unemployed new migrants i know finally found jobs!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by chris955
I have family and friends there that are likely to be affected by this so I cant say it amuses me but what does amuse me is the belief it wouldnt or couldnt happen.
Don't count me in the wouldn't couldn't bracket.I came here in 89, was unemployed and the interest rates were at 18%.Been there done that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.