Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Situation (Sydney) - Is it really that bad?

Job Situation (Sydney) - Is it really that bad?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:54 am
Just Joined

UKPlay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Situation (Sydney) - Is it really that bad?

Just wondering if the current econimc climate is hitting Australia, and Sydney, as bad as it is affecting other parts of the world?

My GF and I are looking to visit Australia later this year each on a working holiday visa, with idea of working in Sydney for a year rather than a travelling/backpacking trip. I'm aware that there are some restrictions with the type of Visa we are intending to travel on and these could potentially harm our chances of obtaining employment. We will be travelling with some savings but not enough to support ourselves on for a number of months if we are not working.

I have contacted a number of job agencies in Sydney and have been told that I will not get a job in my current profession (Town Planning) at the present time. I have also been told that generally I will be last in the queue for most jobs due to my visa, not being Australian and my lack of local experience. With the visa, any employment can only be for a maximum of six months. I have also been told there are less jobs available, the wages are beginning to decline as so many people are looking for work.

I would be pleased to hear any further advice on the current situation in Sydney specifically regarding jobs.....looking forward to your help, thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:00 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Job Situation (Sydney) - Is it really that bad?

I think that you will find, regardless of the economic climate, is that temping jobs, bar jobs, etc will the the most you could expect on a working holiday visa. Few workplaces are going to spend the time and money recruiting and putting you through an induction period in the knowledge that you are unable to stay long term, and quite possibly wanting to travel round and only stay for a short period of time.

I know years ago (and perhaps someone can correct me if this is no longer the case) you were not allowed to get work that would advance your career when on a WHV, so this could be another reason employers would avoid you as they might be stepping into some dodgy employment territory.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I do think the economic climate is starting to be affected here. Jobs are advertiised then withdrawn due to cut backs.

Its not as bad as the UK as yet but who knows? You will also find in Australia that you need certificates and references for even the most menial job, so bring anything you have, even for shop/ bar/cleaning work etc.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:19 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

IT market is a lot quieter than end of last year. A lot of jobs are getting put on hold until "after easter/after budgets are sorted/thigs pick up/etc/etc"
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mika24me
I know years ago (and perhaps someone can correct me if this is no longer the case) you were not allowed to get work that would advance your career when on a WHV, so this could be another reason employers would avoid you as they might be stepping into some dodgy employment territory.
I don't know if it was a case that they weren't allowed to.....the conditions attached to the visa effectively meant that that was the case though....i.e. maximum of 3 months with one employer.

That condition has changed though and is now 6 months with one employer. There are plenty of people who come now on WHVs who aren't really travelling but are living with an Aussie partner with an intention to submit a spouse visa app at the end of the year. Many of them get normal, albeit temporary jobs.

There is going to be a lot more competition for casual jobs that may once have also been offered to backpackers though
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:16 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I hear regularly of the hardship that WHV's are having at present finding work even a few days casual is treated like golddust.

I would resort to fruitpicking though as a couple it ma sound crap.

My wife even with PR found the sort of casual jobs described very hard to get. You could be months in any big city looking for work.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Jobs are advertiised then withdrawn due to cut backs.
Yes, unfortunately this happened to me, and I'd already been through reference checks and everything. Luckily, I have another job now. But yes, I think Australia is starting to feel the pinch all right.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:01 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

It is hitting but not as bad as elsewhere. My work just laid off 30% of this office and IT contractors are gone. Banking IT is offloading and someone I know who works for a major bank has lost his job along with half the department.

Good luck. If you are good, willing to contract to get some local experience and willing to sacrifice salary then you will line yourself up well for the future.