Job question

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of
Default Job question

I'm currently thinking of applying for my visa with my job being an electrician, the problem is when I come over I understand that I will have to start from the bottom of any work place that I go to, this probably being wiring houses and crawling attics.

Now I have heard that working domestic in Oz crawling attics in 30c heat is not very nice at all, especially coming across some of the bugs over there. If I applied through being an electrician, I would have to take up an electrical job, or is there another way where I could work another job?

Its a shame really as this is the biggest sticking point in us coming over but I dont want to travel all that way and hate my job.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job question

If you come over on the skilled migrant visa you can work in whatever field you want.

I don't know why you think you would have to start again at the bottom though, I am sure many people come over and start at around the level they left off.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:04 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPE88
I'm currently thinking of applying for my visa with my job being an electrician, the problem is when I come over I understand that I will have to start from the bottom of any work place that I go to, this probably being wiring houses and crawling attics.

Now I have heard that working domestic in Oz crawling attics in 30c heat is not very nice at all, especially coming across some of the bugs over there. If I applied through being an electrician, I would have to take up an electrical job, or is there another way where I could work another job?

Its a shame really as this is the biggest sticking point in us coming over but I dont want to travel all that way and hate my job.

Thanks in advance.
once you've got your visa it doesn't mean you need to do the same work so if you want a change you can do anything else that takes your fancy. Like you said you need to re-qualify as an electrician here and from what I gather it aint easy.

Good luck mate
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you come over on the skilled migrant visa you can work in whatever field you want.

I don't know why you think you would have to start again at the bottom though, I am sure many people come over and start at around the level they left off.
Over here I own my own company and specifically work commercial/industrial but I would say 75% of electrical companies work domestic, so if I came to Oz I would obviously be desperate for a job I wouldnt be in a position to pick and choose so the odds are I would end up working houses again which I think I would hate.

I thought if I came over as an electrician, I had to work an electrical job. I couldnt come over and be a plumber for example?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
once you've got your visa it doesn't mean you need to do the same work so if you want a change you can do anything else that takes your fancy. Like you said you need to re-qualify as an electrician here and from what I gather it aint easy.

Good luck mate
Yes I looked into it in Jan and nearly applied in April but we called it off as im getting married this month so said we will talk after the wedding, I know how difficult it is and how long it takes but i'm quite confident I will be ok.

So I could basically go over and work in grocery store if I wanted then?

I havent asked previously either as I thought it was a stupid question.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:10 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

It's a strange one this. I have friends nearby who came over on skills as a brickie and a primary school teacher. One is a farmer now and the other a housewife.

I think because it is impossible to guarantee that you will get a job in your particular skills area, and let's face it, you need to eat, you can work wherever you can.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
It's a strange one this. I have friends nearby who came over on skills as a brickie and a primary school teacher. One is a farmer now and the other a housewife.

I think because it is impossible to guarantee that you will get a job in your particular skills area, and let's face it, you need to eat, you can work wherever you can.
I am so happy about this, thanks for clearing that up guys.

House husband sounds good
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:16 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I looked into it in Jan and nearly applied in April but we called it off as im getting married this month so said we will talk after the wedding, I know how difficult it is and how long it takes but i'm quite confident I will be ok.

Yep you can come over and do whatever you want not just whatever it was you got the visa for. And you're right, many electricians start off as electrician's mates as effectively you are not qualified to do the *proper* electrical stuff in terms of not having the right Aussis quals. This can be a big pain in the arse especially for someone like you who is clearly well qualified in UK having run your own business, but over here I'm afraid that doesn't mean jack sh1t as you need Aussie electricans qualifications so that can be really frustrating.

As for being a plumber - plumbers over here need to be qualified too (not sure about UK) but a plumber here is expected to be qualified so you can't walk into a plumbing job any easier than a electricians job.

Have you seen our Electricians forum? Maybe you can do a search and see any questions and answers specifically to your trade here mate http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Good luck with the wedding and the move mate
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It is going to get a little bit harder to apply from July 1st, you will have to secure an "invitation to apply" first. Nobody really knows what that means at the moment. So if you qualify now, it is worth applying now.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
To some extent it depends on your visa - if you can get a 175 you have freedom to work (or not) as whatever you want. Some people need sponsorship though which ties them to one job/employer. Have a read of www.immi.gov.au.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Yep you can come over and do whatever you want not just whatever it was you got the visa for. And you're right, many electricians start off as electrician's mates as effectively you are not qualified to do the *proper* electrical stuff in terms of not having the right Aussis quals. This can be a big pain in the arse especially for someone like you who is clearly well qualified in UK having run your own business, but over here I'm afraid that doesn't mean jack sh1t as you need Aussie electricans qualifications so that can be really frustrating.

As for being a plumber - plumbers over here need to be qualified too (not sure about UK) but a plumber here is expected to be qualified so you can't walk into a plumbing job any easier than a electricians job.

Have you seen our Electricians forum? Maybe you can do a search and see any questions and answers specifically to your trade here mate http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Good luck with the wedding and the move mate
I just used plumber as an example, I have asked plenty on here and the electrician forum earlier this year but this was one question that I didnt know and has been bugging me for a while.

If the right job came up as an electrician I would take it but I dont think I could work in attics not knowing what the hell (animal wise) is up there, plus the heat will kill you working in attics, its bad enough over here in the summer!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
To some extent it depends on your visa - if you can get a 175 you have freedom to work (or not) as whatever you want. Some people need sponsorship though which ties them to one job/employer. Have a read of www.immi.gov.au.
Thanks for that,175 is what we were going to go for, but we shall see.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:36 am

I just used plumber as an example, I have asked plenty on here and the electrician forum earlier this year but this was one question that I didnt know and has been bugging me for a while.

If the right job came up as an electrician I would take it but I dont think I could work in attics not knowing what the hell (animal wise) is up there, plus the heat will kill you working in attics, its bad enough over here in the summer!
to be honest you're likely to be more worried of the heat during a few months in summer (and depending where in Aus you live) rather than animals found in an attick and don't assume all electrical work is domestic as there are plenty of commercial electrical jobs where crawling in attics is not necessary.

For some daft reason some people think there are spiders and snakes and creepy crawlies all over the place and that it's hot all your round. You'd be surprised how untrue all this crap is. Just sensationalist stuff really for the most part
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

to be honest you're likely to be more worried of the heat during a few months in summer (and depending where in Aus you live) rather than animals found in an attick and don't assume all electrical work is domestic as there are plenty of commercial electrical jobs where crawling in attics is not necessary.

For some daft reason some people think there are spiders and snakes and creepy crawlies all over the place and that it's hot all your round. You'd be surprised how untrue all this crap is. Just sensationalist stuff really for the most part
I wasnt too bad with it until I read a thread on here this week about a guy who moved out there and was doing domestic and absolutly hated it.

I dont want that to be me so just trying to do as much research as possible and tick all boxes, what it means now if I cant get an electrical job atleast I can apply for everything else just to get some work.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:56 am

I wasnt too bad with it until I read a thread on here this week about a guy who moved out there and was doing domestic and absolutly hated it.

I dont want that to be me so just trying to do as much research as possible and tick all boxes, what it means now if I cant get an electrical job atleast I can apply for everything else just to get some work.
yep at least by reading all the different perspectives once you do get here there's no shock and you're prepared for the worse

Most people find it aint a walk in the park starting again in whatever job you do and being happy is all about adapting to the change and overcoming the various issues, accepting the differences and working around these. Like you say its about finding work and at least getting some money coming in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.