Reload this Page >

Job Market in Melbourne (IT)

Job Market in Melbourne (IT)

Old Sep 8th 2005, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

fjw999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Market in Melbourne (IT)

Hi everyone,

Just new to the forum but just got my visa last week and now starting to panic about jobs. Can anyone advise on what the IT job market is like in Melbourne? I currently work as an AIX admin with good experience in HACMP/TSM/SAN/Perl (8 yrs in total) but when I look at all the job sites in oz it looks like the best place for me would be Sydney but I really want to move to Melbourne. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Ecstatically panicked (but can't wait)
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sagacity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Market in Melbourne (IT)

Originally Posted by fjw999
when I look at all the job sites in oz it looks like the best place for me would be Sydney but I really want to move to Melbourne. Any advice would be much appreciated
We were in the same boat a few months ago - both my husband and I are in IT and we really wanted to go to Melbourne. Yes, Sydney has more job opportunities, but there are also more people applying for them. I just gritted my teeth every time I saw a position I'm perfectly qualified for in Sydney - i.e., a couple a day versus 1-2 a week in Melbourne - but refused to budge. It took me four weeks to get a job, and that's the period of time between updating my CV and accepting the offer I liked. I applied only to four companies during that time, because, as I said, very few vacancies that I'm suitable for come up on Seek every week, sometimes none at all. I got only one rejection - didn't even make it to the shortlist - and three offers. Hubby's still looking for work - absurdly enough, he's been offered a job in Adelaide (via a Melbourne recruitment agent), but didn't accept it as we'd like to stay where we are.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hi

I'm in IT in Melbourne. Yes, there are more jobs in Sydney. Melbourne is number 2 followed by Brisbane.

Generally you will find it takes longer to get a job down here than in the UK, just because things often move slower. Notwithstadning that, it only took me four weeks to get the job offer following starting to apply, just like the previous poster, but do not take this to be the norm.

Also, I'd encourage you to apply for more jobs than the previous poster. I found myself applying for jobs which according to the advert I was tailor-made for. In reality, agents have additional selection criteria not actually written up in the advert so you may get weeded out of those 'perfect match' type adverts - leaving you somewhat non-plussed.

Neil
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Looking on http://www.jobserve.com.au , 8 jobs for search (AIX AND MELBOURNE), 123 jobs for (Infrastructure AND MELBOURNE).
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

going4it has a spectacular aura aboutgoing4it has a spectacular aura aboutgoing4it has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by fjw999
Hi everyone,

Just new to the forum but just got my visa last week and now starting to panic about jobs. Can anyone advise on what the IT job market is like in Melbourne? I currently work as an AIX admin with good experience in HACMP/TSM/SAN/Perl (8 yrs in total) but when I look at all the job sites in oz it looks like the best place for me would be Sydney but I really want to move to Melbourne. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Ecstatically panicked (but can't wait)
I've just got offers for work in Melbourne after 2 months of applying and searching and like the others here got frustrated with lots of wonderful, perfect jobs in Sydney. As the others have stated, if you want to live in Melbourne, then come.
Employers are very slow with their processes, I was shocked the other day to find out a job I applied for on the 2nd July were still sorting out the recruiting process and they hadn't recruited yet!! Another employer which I interviewed with was very keen on me, but wanted another 2 weeks on top of the 2 he had, had to make his mind up!!

I was told by a recruitment agency not to take it personally, if it was 2 months before getting a job as it often takes that long.

Obviously it is different for everyone, but be prepared.

Best of Luck.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by going4it
I've just got offers for work in Melbourne after 2 months of applying and searching and like the others here got frustrated with lots of wonderful, perfect jobs in Sydney. As the others have stated, if you want to live in Melbourne, then come.
Employers are very slow with their processes, I was shocked the other day to find out a job I applied for on the 2nd July were still sorting out the recruiting process and they hadn't recruited yet!! Another employer which I interviewed with was very keen on me, but wanted another 2 weeks on top of the 2 he had, had to make his mind up!!

I was told by a recruitment agency not to take it personally, if it was 2 months before getting a job as it often takes that long.

Obviously it is different for everyone, but be prepared.

Best of Luck.
Depends on the time of year. Not many companies employ around the end of the tax year (June) so things are now picking up. Be prepared that if you are in IT you will need to work in the CBD so commuting is a must.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

As the others have said, there does seem to be jobs out there but having talked to others, you do have to wait.

I have applied for one on the Games next year as that is when we will be arriving. Applied in June and they are now arranging an interview in the next week or so via video!!! :scared: