Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job in Ingleburn but live where ??

Job in Ingleburn but live where ??

Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:25 am
Just Joined

stokman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job in Ingleburn but live where ??

Hello everybody, have already picked up some tips from this great site.

I have a potential job lined up in Ingleburn, outside Sydney and need advice on where to live. My wife and I have 4 young children (ages 3mths - 10) and we would be looking for a house c.$750k max. I am looking at the Sutherland Shire areas or further south via Hume Highway to say Picton, which looking at the map looks doable. I am assuming these areas are our best options. Ideally I do not want a car journey longer than 45-50mins. The main thing is to get the family settled in a family area with good schools. Any advice would be appreciated
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:37 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job in Ingleburn but live where ??

Originally Posted by stokman
Hello everybody, have already picked up some tips from this great site.

I have a potential job lined up in Ingleburn, outside Sydney and need advice on where to live. My wife and I have 4 young children (ages 3mths - 10) and we would be looking for a house c.$750k max. I am looking at the Sutherland Shire areas or further south via Hume Highway to say Picton, which looking at the map looks doable. I am assuming these areas are our best options. Ideally I do not want a car journey longer than 45-50mins. The main thing is to get the family settled in a family area with good schools. Any advice would be appreciated

Take a look at the Illawarra. We are in Thirroul, near Wollongong and its only 45ish minutes to Ingleburn and a simple drive at that. The hubbies company are looking to move from Kogarah to Ingleburn and I cant wait, it will take him 40-50 minutes to commute rather that 1-2 hrs!!

The area we are in is lovely, great for families. We are really happy here and wouldnt consider living anywhere else.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply!! I'd ruled out Illawara cost because I thought the commute would be too far, mind you I was only using google map directions
Thanks again
Old Apr 7th 2007, 2:54 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply!! I'd ruled out Illawara cost because I thought the commute would be too far, mind you I was only using google map directions
Thanks again
If you stay north of Wollongong and south of Helensburgh, you will find a nice family environment with good links to the Appin Road, which will take you to Ingleburn.

I would recommend anywhere from Woonona to Stanwell Park as great place to live
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:39 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Harrington Park which is about 15mins from Ingleburn. It is a newish estate which is a bit different as it is landscaped, lakes, cycleways, parks etc, which is a bit different to most developments which tend to be fields subdivided into blocks of land. There are blocks available to purchase and build on, but we bought a 2yr old place for $600K. We have a small, but reasonable shopping centre on the estate, a school and kindergarten. Narellan is the nearest "town", Campbelltown is about 15mins away and downtown Sydney can be done in 45mins & airport 35mins. But in general it is a very "country" and quiet area, beaches are no more than 40mins away. We gave up looking in The Shire after nearly 2years of looking at overpriced rubbish.
Not sure what is for sale at the moment, but have a look at www.domain.com.au or www.justlisted.com.au under postcode 2567. As a clue this is our place.
Attached Thumbnails Job in Ingleburn but live where ??-h1.jpg  
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
We live in Harrington Park which is about 15mins from Ingleburn. It is a newish estate which is a bit different as it is landscaped, lakes, cycleways, parks etc, which is a bit different to most developments which tend to be fields subdivided into blocks of land. There are blocks available to purchase and build on, but we bought a 2yr old place for $600K. We have a small, but reasonable shopping centre on the estate, a school and kindergarten. Narellan is the nearest "town", Campbelltown is about 15mins away and downtown Sydney can be done in 45mins & airport 35mins. But in general it is a very "country" and quiet area, beaches are no more than 40mins away. We gave up looking in The Shire after nearly 2years of looking at overpriced rubbish.
Not sure what is for sale at the moment, but have a look at www.domain.com.au or www.justlisted.com.au under postcode 2567. As a clue this is our place.
Thanks for the message, looks good value for money. How does the climate differ between there and the coast. Also how close are secondary schools. Many thanks
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:16 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the message, looks good value for money. How does the climate differ between there and the coast. Also how close are secondary schools. Many thanks
Sorry, can't help you with the schools as we don't have kids. I have noticed that there is a lot of Catholic based private schools around here and I would have thought Narellan, Mount Annan and maybe Camden all have secondary schools within 10 mins of here.
As for the temperature, in general it is 2-3 degC warmer than the coast, I reckon above 33-34, hot is hot anyway you call it. Most modern houses have reverse cycle a/c so house stays same-ish temp all year and we have not had a problem with the temperature, even when it was 41degC for a day.
Forgot to say, for major shopping there is Macarthur Sq in Campbelltown, Liverpool is 20mins and Parramatta (2nd biggest mall in Sydney?) about 30mins away. There is also a couple of supermarkets and good weekly shopping in Narellan town centre. Cinema is also in MacArthur Sq but one is planned for Narellan in the near future. Direct train into Sydney in Macarthur Sq and Campbelltown. There is also some decent restaraunts in Camden and area, and a pub that sells a nearly decent Guiness and occasionally Bass. Just can't find a good Curry locally yet.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
If you stay north of Wollongong and south of Helensburgh, you will find a nice family environment with good links to the Appin Road, which will take you to Ingleburn.

I would recommend anywhere from Woonona to Stanwell Park as great place to live
The coast area looks great but maybe out of our price range as we would be looking for a large 4-5 bed house. I've noticed most houses I've seen on the real estate sites don't really feature the garden. Don't kids play out in the back garden? maybe I'm missing something!