Reload this Page >

Will Sat Nav work straight away in Oz

Will Sat Nav work straight away in Oz

Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

melaniepittam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will Sat Nav work straight away in Oz

Hi

I am using my TomTom sat nav with a PDA and a Holux GPSlim 236 receiver. Will I need to alter any settings when I go to Oz or will it just work straightaway.

Thanks in advance.

Melanie
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:00 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Sat Nav work straight away in Oz

not unless you've got aussie maps for it
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by datamile
not unless you've got aussie maps for it
I knew I should have mentioned that I know I need Aussie maps, but thought it was too obvious to mention!!!!

Will I need to change any settings after inserting Oz map or do I just turn on and go as I do here. Will it automatically pick up new satellites?

Melanie
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by melaniepittam
I knew I should have mentioned that I know I need Aussie maps, but thought it was too obvious to mention!!!!

Will I need to change any settings after inserting Oz map or do I just turn on and go as I do here. Will it automatically pick up new satellites?

Melanie
We've got a tomtom one and bought the maps. I had heard it can take 10/15 mins to pick up the satellites but we were up and running straight out of the airport. The only trouble we've had is that we are staying in central Perth and in underground parking. It can take a couple off mins to pick up single once but I wouldn't have been without it. It has made life so easy and given us a different view of Perth already. Would suggest you pick a few addresses up of the internet before you come so that you can add to your favourites.

Would recommend sat nav to anyone now.

J
Old Mar 31st 2007, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
We've got a tomtom one and bought the maps. I had heard it can take 10/15 mins to pick up the satellites but we were up and running straight out of the airport. The only trouble we've had is that we are staying in central Perth and in underground parking. It can take a couple off mins to pick up single once but I wouldn't have been without it. It has made life so easy and given us a different view of Perth already. Would suggest you pick a few addresses up of the internet before you come so that you can add to your favourites.

J
Thankyou PoppetUK

Old Mar 31st 2007, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK

J
I have a tomtom one and was going to sell it and buy an ausie version but if it will take an australia map i may just do as you have
can i ask how much you paid for it and where from?
Regards Rod
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:30 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

My TomTom took ages to get working, i would drive around for half an hour and it still would not come on. I was about to give up on it when all of a sudden it just started working. So if you are having problems stick with it, think it needs a but of time to get over the jet lag!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:11 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
My TomTom took ages to get working, i would drive around for half an hour and it still would not come on. I was about to give up on it when all of a sudden it just started working. So if you are having problems stick with it, think it needs a but of time to get over the jet lag!
The worst thing you can do is keep moving..... if you don't get a sat lock, stay still until it finds them - moving around just confuses it even more!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:39 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Melanie
If you want the Aussie map, I have a copy.... just ask.
It will only work on a PDA, not a Tom Tom Go unit.

It's 85MB and will have to sent via ftp as a .rar file. You'll need to unzip and copy it to the SD card of the PDA.

Once here, it is just the same as the UK (or where ever) the receiver will pick up the signal from the satellite and you're off!

Cheers
Neil.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
If you want the Aussie map, I have a copy.... just ask.
It will only work on a PDA, not a Tom Tom Go unit.

It's 85MB and will have to sent via ftp as a .rar file. You'll need to unzip and copy it to the SD card of the PDA.

Once here, it is just the same as the UK (or where ever) the receiver will pick up the signal from the satellite and you're off!

Cheers
Neil.
Hi Neil,

I have PM'd you.

Thankyou everyone else for your responses.

Melanie
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Hi Neil,

I have PM'd you.

Thankyou everyone else for your responses.

Melanie
anyone know about tomtom go maps for aus?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:29 am
done and dusted

maverik1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chmaiden
anyone know about tomtom go maps for aus?
there are sometimes memory cards for sale on ebay with the oz maps on them
Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:33 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

can any one tell me where i get the Oz maps for a tom tom.

cheers steve
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by stevelaird
can any one tell me where i get the Oz maps for a tom tom.

cheers steve
hey Maverick - i dont seem to be able to find them - got a link?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 3:11 pm
done and dusted

maverik1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chmaiden
hey Maverick - i dont seem to be able to find them - got a link?
hmm i've just had a look myself and there are none, there was definitely some on there a couple of weeks ago, i'll keep my eyes open