Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jeepers, how cold and miserable is Perth at the minute?

Jeepers, how cold and miserable is Perth at the minute?

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jeepers, how cold and miserable is Perth at the minute?

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
You can have as much central heating (R/C ducted air),double glazing and insulation as you want.

Open yellow pages,look at the relevant suppliers/installers.

Ring for a quote

Install all of the above.

How easy is that.

Bunnings have draught excluders (door snakes) around $3 each.

Nothing different to the UK,you even have to pay them,same as the UK.

K Mart,Target, Big W etc all have electric blankets.So easy isn't it.
I realise that. I was commenting more on the standard of house builds with regard to poorly fitting doors, lack of double glazing as standard, lack of cavity wall insulation as standard.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bridie
run by 2 Brit expats...there's a surprise. I wonder what %age of their customers are Poms ?? !! Hee hee.....
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I realise that. I was commenting more on the standard of house builds with regard to poorly fitting doors, lack of double glazing as standard, lack of cavity wall insulation as standard.
Everthing is standard as long as you pay for it.You start with a basic car and then add on the extras.As far as the next buyer knows it is all standard.Same with a house.To the next buyer everything is standard.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Everthing is standard as long as you pay for it.You start with a basic car and then add on the extras.As far as the next buyer knows it is all standard.Same with a house.To the next buyer everything is standard.
I'm still not getting this right. What I'm trying to say is that I've lived in 3 houses in WA in 3 years. All 3 have been shockingly cold in winter. One had reverse cycle but the heat was lost as soon as it was turned off. All 3 had little or no loft insulation. I don't think any had decent cavity wall insulation and all 3 had crap glazing allowing too much heat out in winter.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Our rental house is colder than we thought it would be here, we have bought an electric blanket for our bed and the kids have oil filled radiators in their rooms for the night. We have also had to buy a gas fire for the family room, saying that I still prefer living here and being cold for a few months but warmer for 9 months of the year!

Sarah.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bridie

i checked them out, very disappointing frame profile. A patio door, 1.80 wide, costs about $2,800, can't remember how much exactly, but the frame profile definately put me off.

Last edited by Evelin; Aug 3rd 2008 at 1:55 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aston man
are you here yet?
Yes. Finally sold the %$%$% house. Almost killed me.
Need a pint at the Dew drop
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:31 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by confuzzled

Re central heating: remember just because the aussies dont do things the same as the brits, it doesnt mean it is wrong
What an insight! I will remember that in future.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

cakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BATS666
U bet. Bristol has had one day over 25C this "summer" and it's rained since last October. Forgotten what the sun looks like !:curse: we had a "heat wave" last weekend. I guess that's it til next year !?
hi bats666,
what part of bristol r u from? we moved here in nov 06 & lived in emersons green.
w enow live nor in carramar.

simon
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cakeychef
hi bats666,
what part of bristol r u from? we moved here in nov 06 & lived in emersons green.
w enow live nor in carramar.

simon
Simon (Cakeychef)
we live in Cotham. Due to move to Mandurah in Nov tho we haven't booked the flights yet. Have flat to sell (no chance!), 2 cars to sell, another car and personal effects to ship, plus grieving elderly parents etc to deal with. Gave up work two months ago but have not had a spare minute yet ! OH leaves work in 2 weeks so will pass her the reins and bugger off on holiday (on my own!)
P
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:08 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
So Perth is too windy all year round, too hot during the summer, too bloody cold during the winter and there seems to be quite a few moving across to the East. Is the exodus from the UK to Perth a good idea or bad idea? Any views?
Well hopefully you aren't only migrating for the weather, so does it really matter? We did have an exceptionally long, hot summer this year. The warmest temperatures recorded in 55 years I believe and yes, the winters do get cold, but personally I like that. WA is renowned for the wind, but again, it isn't windy all day every day. WA is the only state that has the majority of it's rainfall in the winter, it rarely rains the rest of the year, so I for one will never complain about it. You take the good with the bad no matter which state you choose.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Aug 7th 2008 at 6:11 am.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Well hopefully you aren't only migrating for the weather, so does it really matter? We did have an exceptionally long, hot summer this year. The warmest temperatures recorded in 55 years I believe and yes, the winters do get cold, but personally I like that. WA is renowned for the wind, but again, it isn't windy all day every day. WA is the only state that has the majority of it's rainfall in the winter, it rarely rains the rest of the year, so I for one will never complain about it. You take the good with the bad no matter which state you choose.
I won't be telling the OH about the very hot weather. She's not as keen as I am ! (she knows really, but is hoping it's not too much!)
I can't believe people move halfway round the world without researching what the weather is gonna be like ! what with the Pom's obsession with the subject. We've only ever visited Perth at Easter so I guess we've seen it halfway between summer and winter, but are under no illusions that we haven't experienced the stinking hot weather for three months of the year nor the cold and wet winter stuff (tho Margaret River was pretty nippy and wet, even in April). Not a whole lot different from southern Spain really, tho I guess some people think it's warm and sunny there all year too !!???
I must admit, I was surprised when I was told by a plant nursery owner in Beechboro that they lose some plants in the winter due to frost. None of the climate figures I'd seen for Perth had temps THAT low.
OH is looking forward to some COLD weather...I don't mind as long as it's sunny lots!