Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:38 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm not desperate for attention. Why is it degrading?
Well..I did a bit if waitressing when I was 15. Before my degrees, career etc Plus I'm twice the age of the other staff. I used to earn the equivalent of about £300 per hour in London and now I can't find anything over the minimum wage in Oz.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Well..I did a bit if waitressing when I was 15. Before my degrees, career etc Plus I'm twice the age of the other staff. I used to earn the equivalent of about £300 per hour in London and now I can't find anything over the minimum wage in Oz.
So, why is degrading? Do you see all hospitality staff as beneath you?

I used to earn about 3x as much as an ophthalmic technician to what I earn here. I'm now working as a secretary, as my skills are not recognised in Australia. However I certainly don't think my job is demeaning or beneath me. I'm happy I have a job. Oh, and I'm quite a bit older than the majority of the staff in my department, too.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I used to earn about 3x as much as an ophthalmic technician to what I earn here. I'm now working as a secretary, as my skills are not recognised in Australia. However I certainly don't think my job is demeaning or beneath me. I'm happy I have a job. Oh, and I'm quite a bit older than the majority of the staff in my department, too.
There you go. That's the answer I was fishing for.

You're the one who decided to move to rural Queensland expecting it to be a combination of New York, Florence and Rio de Janeiro, and have been somewhat surprised and angry when you have found out that it is not.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:01 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really not interested in starting an argument. Most people wouldn't have a problem seeing why I, or someone else, would find regressing to an unskilled minimum wage job (in order to secure a visa) degrading.

The argument being made of 'do you find a road sweeper beneath you?' ' do you find a toilet cleaner beneath you?' is rather fatuous.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There you go. That's the answer I was fishing for.

You're the one who decided to move to rural Queensland expecting it to be a combination of New York, Florence and Rio de Janeiro, and have been somewhat surprised and angry when you have found out that it is not.
Can I ask you kindly to never respond to any of my posts ever again? I find you to be the internet equivalent of an onset of piles.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:25 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a while since I was last employed in a full time, perm job (2007), as I've been busy having and raising children. But some of these stories really make me apprehensive about applying for jobs again ...

I completed an MA in 2007, just before I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. I did the MA as I wanted a career change. But I've never got to use it and now, five years on, I'm not sure I will. I thought I'd do some volunteering/unpaid work experience this year to make use of my MA and make me a stronger candidate when I started applying for work next year (I don't want a full time job yet, as my son is still only 14-months-old). All of the places I've contacted so far have said that they're not allowed to take on volunteers/unpaid workers because of OH&S and insurance reasons. I can't try and register as a casual worker with an agency because of childcare. Really need to think on what I could try next ... In the meantime, I've started just applying for work to see what feedback (if any!) I get. At least then I'll know whether to give up on the career change idea and just go back to what I was doing before. Though, of course, it has been a while since I was employed, so that's going to count against me.

Looking for work wherever you are and whatever your situation can be difficult. And depressing.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask you kindly to never respond to any of my posts ever again? I find you to be the internet equivalent of an onset of piles.
Why? Because I challenge your constant and unending bitching and whinging?

The answer is no. If you don't like what I say then put me on ignore, but remember, to ignore is ignorant.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately that is an invitation for him to respond to everything. Do as I have been advised to do and totally ignore him.

Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:19 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Tried to karma you for that post Dorothy.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

If you were earning nearly £600,000 a year in the UK, then I'm sure you'd easily get a job anywhere in the world.

Unless you're lying.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

My guess would be a mistake, not a lie.

Originally Posted by xzibit
If you were earning nearly £600,000 a year in the UK, then I'm sure you'd easily get a job anywhere in the world.

Unless you're lying.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:08 am

Unless you're lying.
I earned that for several years as a commodities broker and then as a derivative strategy consultant for a bank.

Not a mistake or a lie!

Crikey - I can't believe I'm getting a roasting for using one word in an earlier post. I find getting my fingers covered in the remains of people's food, cleaning floors, being on my feet for 9 hours a day
running around, washing dishes and getting yelled at by rude bogans a less than optimal work experience - I'm very sorry if I sounded 'up myself'.

I'm actually very pleased I have the job as it means we can fulfil our PR obligations and then quit FNQ

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Mar 15th 2012 at 8:18 am.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:04 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

I think some are being deliberately harsh on TE's choice of words. I more or less said the same thing first - I am very troubled by the fact that now the only work I am able to find is stacking shelves, part-time and casual. I do not look down on people who do this job, we all have different reasons for doing the job we do, all jobs have an intrinsic value and make a necessary contribution. Perhaps "degrading" was not the right word to use but hey it's a forum and we all at times probably type things without always thinking if that was exactly the right choice of words. I just think because TE is a stronger more outspoken person than I am that she has received a lambasting and I did not.

I get exactly where she is coming from and I believe if you read the post in the spirit in which it was intended as I am sure all who read the post could choose to do ... or perhaps chose not to.

TE doesn't need me to stand up for her, she is more than capable of fighting her own battles, I just think that this was more about who the posters involved are rather than the issue itself. I'm a bit over all this bitching and sniping that I read here, there are more important things in life to concern ourselves about.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I earned that for several years as a commodities broker and then as a derivative strategy consultant for a bank.

Not a mistake or a lie!

Crikey - I can't believe I'm getting a roasting for using one word in an earlier post. I find getting my fingers covered in the remains of people's food, cleaning floors, being on my feet for 9 hours a day
running around, washing dishes and getting yelled at by rude bogans a less than optimal work experience - I'm very sorry if I sounded 'up myself'.

I'm actually very pleased I have the job as it means we can fulfil our PR obligations and then quit FNQ
Wow. Just wow. That must severely suck balls. I could have saved about £580,000 a year earning that. Surely you're just living off interest now so why do you need a job?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:42 am

Wow. Just wow. That must severely suck balls. I could have saved about £580,000 a year earning that. Surely you're just living off interest now so why do you need a job?
I have to work 35 hours per week for my temporary visa to become a permanent one for a few more months. Don't forget almost half of that is tax.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Mar 15th 2012 at 11:47 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.