Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all
Default I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

I'm actually quite stunned by this but that's because I'm probably taking it personally.

I'm now quite accepting to not hearing back from prospective employers re applications etc as that just seems to be the go now. But to actually have an interview and then hear NOTHING is astonishing, surely? It was 4 weeks ago and not a whisper from them.

Frustrated but coming round to the fact that I probably didn't get it, but how rude!!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:42 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
I'm actually quite stunned by this but that's because I'm probably taking it personally.

I'm now quite accepting to not hearing back from prospective employers re applications etc as that just seems to be the go now. But to actually have an interview and then hear NOTHING is astonishing, surely? It was 4 weeks ago and not a whisper from them.

Frustrated but coming round to the fact that I probably didn't get it, but how rude!!!!!
I hear you!!! My partner has that a few times. For one he'd driven about three hours to get there and paid for a hotel over night. After a week, when he wasn't contacted as promised, he called and eventually left over 20 messages but the guy still didn't have the decency to inform him.

I honestly think it's cultural. Aussies don't like letting people down so shy away from giving you bad news. It ends up seeming rude and cowardly.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

That is rude but did you follow up the interview at all indicating you were interested. I usually always follow up a week or so after.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems fairly standard here unless you chase them, even after interview.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Seems fairly standard here unless you chase them, even after interview.
fairly standard 'there' too
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:54 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I honestly think it's cultural. Aussies don't like letting people down so shy away from giving you bad news. It ends up seeming rude and cowardly.
It is same here in Singapore also. They don't want to say "no" to your face, so they hide and disappear.

Out of 20 or so interviews over the years, one sent me a letter saying "We regret to inform you that ... blah blah", and another one replied with email when I forced them to say "yes or no". Others just disappeared from face of the earth.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Ditto.

So damn rude. I'd much prefer they sent an email/letter with a sorry you didn't get the job, than just completely ignore you. Fair enough if you hadn't been for an interview, as they sometimes have loads of applications, but if you attended then you should here either way.

If you're in a decision making position in your job and haven't got the guts to tell someone they were unsuccessful then perhaps they're not suited for their position.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy

It's normal here. Don't take it personally. You could always phone them I suppose.

Applied for a job with a private health fund, in October last year, went for an interview a couple of weeks later. Never had a response. Tried to contact them and left a message for someone to phone me. Never had a call back.

Applied for a job with a government agency in December, interview end of January and told to expect a decision third week in Feb. Didn't hear anything so phoned up and told still no decision made. Still waiting.

Having said I have also been contacted by at least 4 recruitment agencies within an hour or two of applying for jobs online.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
It's normal here.
It's normal there too.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

I remeber going for one of my first jobs here, the guy said it was mine if I wanted it and to call him on Friday if I accepted. So I called him on Friday, no answer. Tried this several times and still no answer. So I tried from my partners phone(diff number) he answered straight away. As soon as I said hello it's Martin he hung up.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:54 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
I remeber going for one of my first jobs here, the guy said it was mine if I wanted it and to call him on Friday if I accepted. So I called him on Friday, no answer. Tried this several times and still no answer. So I tried from my partners phone(diff number) he answered straight away. As soon as I said hello it's Martin he hung up.
It's a funny trait. We 'sold' our boat a few months ago via a Sydney based broker. Spent several days haggling over lift outs, anti-fouling, delivery details to Rushcutter bay and then the day of completion the buyer, an Aussie businessman, turned off his phone permanently. The broker says he called hundreds of times and drove to his address and saw the guy hiding behind the blinds inside. Needless to say we still have our boat! What's it all about eh?!! I've always worked on the 'my word is my bond' basis.

To the OP why not just turn up in youR suit, new pencil case etc... ready for work? Tell them you assumed no news was good news and push them into behaving with some decency in future if only to avoid nut cases!!

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Mar 13th 2012 at 2:57 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the nineties a good percentage of firms did send out letters of rejection often with' Your application is being kept on file ........' I have a file of such rejections so it did happen.(end 95-96)
Obviously a lot appears to have changed in this new century. I don't think they are not wanting to dispense with bad news more a case of laziness, along with a lot of very ineffective management who could care less.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

It's a funny trait. We 'sold' our boat a few months ago via a Sydney based broker. Spent several days haggling over lift outs, anti-fouling, delivery details to Rushcutter bay and then the day of completion the buyer, an Aussie businessman, turned off his phone permanently. The broker says he called hundreds of times and drove to his address and saw the guy hiding behind the blinds inside. Needless to say we still have our boat! What's it all about eh?!! I've always worked on the 'my word is my bond' basis.

To the OP why not just turn up in youR suit, new pencil case etc... ready for work? Tell them you assumed no news was good news and push them into behaving with some decency in future if only to avoid nut cases!!
With quaint concepts like my word is my bond, will only hasten the last shirt from your back being taken.....avoidance of responsibility and passing the buck is rife.

You'll just have to find parking for the boat in Beziers......
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:57 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That is an 'interesting' way to explain it

Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I am job hunting right now and every job I have applied for has responded, unfortunately so far with lots of NO letters/emails!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.