I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:51 am
Banned

TheGhostofLordFarquar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My experience was the total opposite.
My experience was a juxtaposition of hyperbole and the price of lettuce, thus creating an entirely new paradigm shift.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:43 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
That's great that his skills are being recognised and he is at least getting to use some of them and to great effect. It does undermine your self esteem when you (a) can't get work and then (b) get work which is way below your capabilities. I'm torn at the moment between pleasure that I'm contributing financially and that feeling of "I put things on shelves". Should I be proud that I will do what it takes .... or disappointed in myself that this is what it has come to. I swither. But when all is said and done, it's a job and doesn't define who I am and the vast majority of people that I directly work with are lovely, so it could be worse.
You should be proud that you are doing a job below your capabilities in good grace SOB. As we were spending sterling prior to these hospitality jobs we're quite liking the cash and are buying the stuff we need for the boat ready for a long trip (dead boring crap like new batteries, solar panels, tender etc). Whe you convert our joint minimum wage jobs to Gbp we're on 60k!! Shows how crippling the exchange rate is.

When I'm listening to angry customers complaining about the food, mopping floors and clearing plates into bins I do think - for frig sake this is degrading - but at least the minimum wage is high, saves our sterling disappearing at the appalling exchange rate, and we have to do it to get the PR visa anyway. It's only a 5 minute walk from the boat as well. I keep thinking I should write a book on my humbling experience, 'From city to skivvy' but I guess lots of people all over are having to work 'beneath' them.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
When I'm listening to angry customers complaining about the food, mopping floors and clearing plates into bins I do think - for frig sake this is degrading
Why is it 'degrading'?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Shows how crippling the exchange rate is.
crippling for some. Big bonus for others

strong AUD rocks
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:54 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why is it 'degrading'?
Are you so desperate for attention?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

it is a fair question. so why 'degrading'?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:10 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
I'm torn at the moment between pleasure that I'm contributing financially and that feeling of "I put things on shelves". Should I be proud that I will do what it takes .... or disappointed in myself that this is what it has come to. I swither. But when all is said and done, it's a job and doesn't define who I am and the vast majority of people that I directly work with are lovely, so it could be worse.
As TE says, you should be proud.

My worst ever job was sewing shoulder pads into coat dresses.. actually.. no, the worst one was at the same factory when I had to press a seam into place. At least with the first one I was so good at it I was on a weekly bonus - with the second I was so shite I had machinists further up the line after my blood

Here, I've been lucky - anything I've applied for I've had some response afterwards. Himself has had mixed fortunes, but most of the non-responses after interviews were from phone/skype interviews even when they've said they'll be in touch (so while we were still in the UK, I guess they thought we didn't matter so much)
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dreamy
You did all this without having signed an employment contract? Or are you already on a permanent visa so were selling your house anyway?
A "signed employment contract" is virtually worthless in both Aus (6 months) and the UK (12 months, may be extended to 18 or 24) as employees have no rights of appeal against unfair dismissal during the probation period.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:08 am

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamy
You did all this without having signed an employment contract? Or are you already on a permanent visa so were selling your house anyway?
We already have a PR visa! We had a contract but that was dependent on hubby getting a medical done, which he couldn't do when they moved the requested date of arrival forward by several months as the wait to have the detailed medical done here which would have to be done by 3 different parties would be up to 8 weeks to have got it all back which is when they requested y husband be out there to work for them so it was agreed that the medical would be done through the company on arrival and the contract changed to say the permanent work would be offered on the receipt of an acceptable medical - we knew the medical wouldn't be a problem!

Never ever ever had this before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An totally shocked by it.
Mind you having had time to think about it, it's probably a good thing he's not working for them seeing as 2 people left the company at once and they don't seem to be able to stand by their own arrangements! they're loss!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:12 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
A "signed employment contract" is virtually worthless in both Aus (6 months) and the UK (12 months, may be extended to 18 or 24) as employees have no rights of appeal against unfair dismissal during the probation period.
I'm fully aware of that, but thank you. However, if you were arranging your affairs to come to Australia on a 457, for example, there's no way you'd even start arranging those affairs before you'd at least signed a contract.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:14 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by Jensanco
Mind you having had time to think about it, it's probably a good thing he's not working for them seeing as 2 people left the company at once and they don't seem to be able to stand by their own arrangements! they're loss!
You're probably right
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I guess this shows we're not alone in receipt of the shoddy treatment. I went for an interview with a Brisbane based consultancy which went really well, they seemed genuinely keen, told me that they would be in touch in the next few days with a job offer. Heard nothing and attempts at communication unanswered/unacknowledged. Not unusual in the Brisbane IT market. What I don't understand is why are these companies so quick to burn their bridges? An email with ' no vacancies at the moment' would have ensured that my previously high opinion of them would have been retained.
As it is, now I'm in a position to influence hiring staff, I wouldn't touch this company with a long pointy thing..... surely bad business judgement?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:09 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is extremely short sighted but no doubt their thinking is that there are plenty more unemployed out there.

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I guess this shows we're not alone in receipt of the shoddy treatment. I went for an interview with a Brisbane based consultancy which went really well, they seemed genuinely keen, told me that they would be in touch in the next few days with a job offer. Heard nothing and attempts at communication unanswered/unacknowledged. Not unusual in the Brisbane IT market. What I don't understand is why are these companies so quick to burn their bridges? An email with ' no vacancies at the moment' would have ensured that my previously high opinion of them would have been retained.
As it is, now I'm in a position to influence hiring staff, I wouldn't touch this company with a long pointy thing..... surely bad business judgement?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not desperate for attention. Why is it degrading?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm not desperate for attention. Why is it degrading?
Myself and my husband do it six days a week.Actually I do five and he does six. The children work one day a week for us.Its bloody hard work but not degrading.We work hard,its honest work and we do it with pride.It pays the mortgage and school fees.Thankfully we rarely get complaints.We don't find it degrading.I wouldn't do it if I thought it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.