Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I've reached a whole new rudeness level on the job front

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
I'm actually quite stunned by this but that's because I'm probably taking it personally.

I'm now quite accepting to not hearing back from prospective employers re applications etc as that just seems to be the go now. But to actually have an interview and then hear NOTHING is astonishing, surely? It was 4 weeks ago and not a whisper from them.

Frustrated but coming round to the fact that I probably didn't get it, but how rude!!!!!
I feel for you. This was my world from October - February. Don't know what field you're in, but I read somewhere that on average it takes 5 months starting from scratch to find a good admin job, and that's exactly how long it took me. As it transpired I had actually given up and returned to the UK when the magic phonecall (from Aus) finally came in (3-4 weeks after the interview!!!!)

Still waiting to hear back from a job I 'phone interviewed for in Perth back in October. Their closing line, when I asked how long it would take, was "Look Dave, we won't keep you waiting. We'll be in touch by the middle of next week".

Oh and as for the comment about agents calling back within a couple of hours... yes they'll do that, but that's about all in my experience. Time-wasting parasites of the worst kind.

But all that seems like a hundred years ago now, and it will for you soon too.

Best of luck...

Last edited by DC10; Mar 13th 2012 at 9:11 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, when you've had xx number of thanks but no thanks, you actually look forward to not hearing the bad news.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:25 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby had a job on the East side of Melbourne good location, guys seemed keen, a guy from part of the same company met him in London and they had an interview, hubbys previous Australian employer gave a glowing reference. Then over Xmas two guys left the company 1 of which we'd been dealing with, so the guy that took over said we can't wait til September - fair enough we said to let us know if anything changed with the company and his employment offer changed to let us know, gave him a deadline to get out there by end of March, so we dropped the price of our house right down and sold it, told the company and they told us they've given his job to someone else - this other guy is already employed there.

So we sent an email back saying how disappointed we were in them, what had happened to informing us of any changes - we'd pulled all the stops out to meet the deadlines they'd set even making a massive loss on our house!!!!

Oddly enough we haven't heard back since !
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:24 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensanco
so we dropped the price of our house right down and sold it, told the company and they told us they've given his job to someone else - this other guy is already employed there.

So we sent an email back saying how disappointed we were in them, what had happened to informing us of any changes - we'd pulled all the stops out to meet the deadlines they'd set even making a massive loss on our house!!!!

Oddly enough we haven't heard back since !
You did all this without having signed an employment contract? Or are you already on a permanent visa so were selling your house anyway?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:52 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
You did all this without having signed an employment contract? Or are you already on a permanent visa so were selling your house anyway?
I wouldn't even expect employers to necessarily behave with a signed contract. We spent a comparatively small amount preparing to move to Townsville (desperate!!) for a job Mr TE was offered (contract signed) and as the start date arrived the guy avoided him like plague and when finally pinned down (another phone number) the fob off was 'call in 2 months and you might be needed'. When pointed out that there was a signed contract the response was 'sue me'...

It's a beautiful country but there are some shoddy and cruel work practices going on. Work Fair Australia don't seem able to do much either.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:52 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am job hunting right now and every job I have applied for has responded, unfortunately so far with lots of NO letters/emails!
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Believe me, when you've had xx number of thanks but no thanks, you actually look forward to not hearing the bad news.
Moneypenny you said more or less what I was going to say! I grumbled and grumbled and bitched about not hearing back about job applications and then I had about 4 responses in one day, all saying NO and I decided that I preferred on balance just to work out for myself that I wasn't successful Having said that I do think it's rude not to respond to applications and it would be all too easy to respond particularly by email and I think it's inexcusable not to respond folling an interview.

I'm just getting back in the swing of job applications, I became a bit complacent after getting my casual p/t job as although I'm only getting a few hours a week it's taken some of the financial pressure off but really all it does is just about keep our head above water... or at worst we're drowning slowly - is that a good thing?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:56 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I wouldn't even expect employers to necessarily behave with a signed contract. We spent a comparatively small amount preparing to move to Townsville (desperate!!) for a job Mr TE was offered (contract signed) and as the start date arrived the guy avoided him like plague and when finally pinned down (another phone number) the fob off was 'call in 2 months and you might be needed'. When pointed out that there was a signed contract the response was 'sue me'...

It's a beautiful country but there are some shoddy and cruel work practices going on. Work Fair Australia don't seem able to do much either.
That's an appalling attitude, it beggars belief sometimes. I wonder whether the UK is becoming equally bad? I shall consult my mighty bro who has been job hunting for a while and is in a similar situation to me in so far as he has had a number of years off whilst raising his kids. He doesn't have the "no aussie experience" fob off excuse though, although technically it would be true and probably as about legitimate to use it as it is here
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

there are some shoddy and cruel work practices going on.
There are unfortunately - same as the UK
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Of course
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:10 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
That's an appalling attitude, it beggars belief sometimes. I wonder whether the UK is becoming equally bad? I shall consult my mighty bro who has been job hunting for a while and is in a similar situation to me in so far as he has had a number of years off whilst raising his kids. He doesn't have the "no aussie experience" fob off excuse though, although technically it would be true and probably as about legitimate to use it as it is here
Mr TE has now progressed to the dizzy heights of Functions and Operations Coordinator (FOC) at the hotel we work at after starting as a bar man and taking everyone by storm! I'm actually really pleased just that he has had some self esteem restored after our rough ride in Cairns. He has to deal with staff rostering, day to day issues and discipline and is gradually altering what was (especially with the kitchen staff) a 'fit in or **** off' bullying environment into a happy team based functional one. When he took over and started treating people with respect, the staff (mixture of Sri Lankan, Filipino and Indians) were reminiscent of the abused Fritzl family slowly coming up the cellar stairs into the light!

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Mar 14th 2012 at 12:49 am.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I have never, in all my working life in the UK, not been told by phone or letter that I havent been successful after an interview. They have always contacted me, without exception.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I have never, in all my working life in the UK, not been told by phone or letter that I havent been successful after an interview. They have always contacted me, without exception.
My experience was the total opposite.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

My experience was the total opposite.
What a surprise
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Grayling
What a surprise
indeed
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:48 am
Feeble Minded

Mr TE has now progressed to the dizzy heights of Functions and Operations Coordinator (FOC) at the hotel we work at after starting as a bar man and taking everyone by storm! I'm actually really pleased just that he has had some self esteem restored after our rough ride in Cairns. He has to deal with staff rostering, day to day issues and discipline and is gradually altering what was (especially with the kitchen staff) a 'fit in or **** off' bullying environment into a happy team based functional one. When he took over and started treating people with respect, the staff (mixture of Sri Lankan, Filipino and Indians) were reminiscent of the abused Fritzl family slowly coming up the cellar stairs into the light!
That's great that his skills are being recognised and he is at least getting to use some of them and to great effect. It does undermine your self esteem when you (a) can't get work and then (b) get work which is way below your capabilities. I'm torn at the moment between pleasure that I'm contributing financially and that feeling of "I put things on shelves". Should I be proud that I will do what it takes .... or disappointed in myself that this is what it has come to. I swither. But when all is said and done, it's a job and doesn't define who I am and the vast majority of people that I directly work with are lovely, so it could be worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.