Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ive been thinking aboutwhen the time comes for all my stuff to be shipped....

Ive been thinking aboutwhen the time comes for all my stuff to be shipped....

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:23 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ive been thinking aboutwhen the time comes for all my stuff to be shipped....

in particular the washing machine.

I read a couple of days ago, that someone said that the packers had taped her mashine machine door shut and the end result was mould on the rubber because of the damp that formed whilst the machine was in the container.

I know that some people mention that when the packers arrived they put a coule of silicone pouches on the sofa to help prevent it getting mouldy.

What i am thinking is, would it be worth putting a few pouches of silicone in the washing machine to try to combat that problem?

what do you think?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:29 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ive been thinking aboutwhen the time comes for all my stuff to be shipped....

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
in particular the washing machine.

I read a couple of days ago, that someone said that the packers had taped her mashine machine door shut and the end result was mould on the rubber because of the damp that formed whilst the machine was in the container.

I know that some people mention that when the packers arrived they put a coule of silicone pouches on the sofa to help prevent it getting mouldy.

What i am thinking is, would it be worth putting a few pouches of silicone in the washing machine to try to combat that problem?

what do you think?
get some silica bags put them in the washing machine with the sofa..

problem solved

im the cleverist bloke on this forum
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:31 am

Default Re: Ive been thinking aboutwhen the time comes for all my stuff to be shipped....

Originally Posted by aston man
get some silica bags put them in the washing machine with the sofa..

problem solved

im the cleverist bloke on this forum
put them in the washing machine with the sofa?

how big do you think the washer is???

thanks for your comment though. I think i will do that with the silliaca bags
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:36 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

i had john masons round the other day they said they stuff the fridge with big packs of sylica gel to stop mould but didnt mention doing this to the washer. He said run it on a hot wash 3 days before with no detergent softner or cothes in it and this will get rid of excess powder etc which will cause the mould then disconnect it drain it etc. He also said if there is a bit of water left in the pipes not to worry as this helps prevent the pipes becoming dry and splitting

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
i had john masons round the other day they said they stuff the fridge with big packs of sylica gel to stop mould but didnt mention doing this to the washer. He said run it on a hot wash 3 days before with no detergent softner or cothes in it and this will get rid of excess powder etc which will cause the mould then disconnect it drain it etc. He also said if there is a bit of water left in the pipes not to worry as this helps prevent the pipes becoming dry and splitting

http://bestsmileys.com/cleaning/4.gif
hhhmmmm.

you and those smiliys
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:38 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

put them in the washing machine with the sofa?

how big do you think the washer is???

thanks for your comment though. I think i will do that with the silliaca bags
just get a load of silica bags off ebay..a bit of mould wont hurt in the washing machine..
youll be o.k..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by aston man
just get a load of silica bags off ebay..a bit of mould wont hurt in the washing machine..
youll be o.k..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
thats what i was going to do.

i know the mould wont hurt but it's now 6 years old and i've looked after it and want to keep it working and looking like new
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:50 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

hhhmmmm.

you and those smiliys
im addicted and i blame you
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:58 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

LOL

Beth x x
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:04 am
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
he he
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

martin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nice

My mate put his dog in his machine and saved a fortune!!!!!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:52 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

The advice abour running a hot wash with no additives 3 days befire is good then leave the door open.
Silica gel may take a lot of bags if there is a lot of water left. I also put a cap full of bleach through to kill off all those nasty little spores and stuff.

Regarding taping up the fridge, if your taking a fridge make sure it will be accepted into the country. Aus will only allow non CFC fridges in. I had an Aus fridge I took to UK when I was posted there and couldnt take it back! Mad. If you take and its non complaint they'll charge you $$$ to dispose of.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

martin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nice

Best advice I can give is to dump it or sell it and buy one when you get there.
They will not accept it unless it is absolutely immaculate with no sogn of a speck of dirt.