Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

klnives at schools in WA

klnives at schools in WA

Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice
Default klnives at schools in WA

I just copied this link from the Aussie thread on Secret Harbour. It seems that youths and knives are still a problem in WA schools. Has any one got any similar stories on youth behavoir etc in WA.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...4-2761,00.html
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice
Default Re: klnives at schools in WA

I just found this link also.......horrific story about 13 year olds in WA

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...008620,00.html
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Not knives, but drugs. I know this goes on in UK too, but to all those who think this place is clean, think again.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
I just copied this link from the Aussie thread on Secret Harbour. It seems that youths and knives are still a problem in WA schools. Has any one got any similar stories on youth behavoir etc in WA.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...4-2761,00.html
You will not belive this but yesterday I was at the home of a new hairdresser I was using (my first visit) and it turned out she was the headmasters wife...she said if you knew about the circumstances of these boys upbringing you'd feel so sorry...but she said it was no excuse......!!! there was a "knife" fight at my sons school last May..police were called in but nothing was reported on the news......as Nu Shooz has said...drugs here are the biggest problem.....my sons friend has just moved over from Nottingham (and in his words) from rough area he said....drugs are far more easier to get here than where he was from......we have heard that from quite a few new migrants from the U.K....my youngest son who was in year 7 at the time came home and told me about Crystal Meth's....(I think that's what he said)...I asked if they had talked about it in class...he said no....just talked about in the playground....he knew more than me....I quickly did some reading up on "drugs"...so no it's just not knives which are becoming a problem and not just in "bad/poor" areas it's drugs as well....yes even here in Aus........now they don't show you that on the reality programmes....oh there was an incident last Nov at Aquinas College (most expensive Catholic College here in Perth) were two boys took knives in to threaten and intimidate pupils.....that was kept quiet until this week.....the boys are now allowed back in school and the other parents are really angry....
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

hi brits 1

i got the links from the aussie thread for people moving to secret harbour......the person who placed the thread said the only reason she chose the link was to prove how transparent the media is in wa, she was making the point that even though it does happen in perth that at least it is reported, not like uk(you only have to read the UK tabloids to read how much bad stuff is reported about the UK youth culture)............these new migrants to perth dont realise the youth problems are as bad, if not worse than the uk. they look at moving to australia as some kind of family utopia
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:52 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

hi brits 1

i got the links from the aussie thread for people moving to secret harbour......the person who placed the thread said the only reason she chose the link was to prove how transparent the media is in wa, she was making the point that even though it does happen in perth that at least it is reported, not like uk(you only have to read the UK tabloids to read how much bad stuff is reported about the UK youth culture)............these new migrants to perth dont realise the youth problems are as bad, if not worse than the uk. they look at moving to australia as some kind of family utopia
It`s good to know that you know all new migrants so well that you can make such a sweeping comment on our views and how we all must be seeing Perth. Not everyone wears rosetints, some are able to see the good and bad and yet still be happy.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:09 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

hi brits 1

This is so true Mike. I know from experience that sometimes when you really really want something, you only see what you want to see. Not what's really there. I find it so sad that the UK has such a bad image and blame the British press entirely for the way that they report news here.

I lived in a nice Melbourne suburb and saw that the same things happen there but are reported so differently. Miss Australia coming 3rd in the Miss World contest was given front page headlines whilst the murder of a woman who was dumped on the beach was hidden away in a tiny three paragraphs inside the paper.

The Australian Government and press do a damned good PR job.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to respond on the Secret Harbour thread but didn't as I figured nobody would want to hear it and it might be a bit mean to do so.

But I noticed that the first of the recent Secret Harbour knife incidents was reported in one of the major newspapers in a very small part of a single column, right at the bottom of page 13 (these are Perth papers, not nationals).

It seems to me that in the UK the crimes of 60 million people are reported as if local, and the more sensationalized the better. Here, you really have to dig around sometimes to find out what has been going on just a couple of suburbs away.

Perhaps it is easier to avoid bad areas in Perth (i.e., it takes less money to do so). I don't know. I wouldn't advise anyone to move to Perth to get away from crime, that's for sure (especially property crime). But then again, maybe I'm in for a shock when I get back to England.

hi brits 1

Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

There was an incident down here in Australind last year, a boy stabbed two class mates - turned out though they'd been bullying him for months.

I guess you have to accept this kind of stuff goes on the world over.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
This is so true Mike. I know from experience that sometimes when you really really want something, you only see what you want to see. Not what's really there. I find it so sad that the UK has such a bad image and blame the British press entirely for the way that they report news here.

I lived in a nice Melbourne suburb and saw that the same things happen there but are reported so differently. Miss Australia coming 3rd in the Miss World contest was given front page headlines whilst the murder of a woman who was dumped on the beach was hidden away in a tiny three paragraphs inside the paper.

The Australian Government and press do a damned good PR job.
This is so true...I also think that is why so many people think twice about returning back to the U.K....you know what you are returning to....coming out here we thought it would be easy...big homes/cars/jobs etc but it is no different to being at home (maybe for the homes but now they are very expensive)you still have to work hard, pay bills,deal with everyday problems....the P.R is excellent the Government and State do an excellent job in regards to keeping the media/news under "control"...but it's not real life...If one famous Aus (I have only heard one) says anything slightly bad about Aus...wow...heaven help them...I think people are brainwashed from an early age.....................which is great but again not "real life".....over the Ausse Day holiday a "gang" of theives "robbed" quite a few homes in our area in the same day.....this area was targeted.....this has only just been reported but only in our local paper.....
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
the P.R is excellent the Government and State do an excellent job in regards to keeping the media/news under "control.....
I'm not so sure about this. If you'd been following the slating of the West Australian by the state govt recently and The Australian's attacks on FOI laws (and on The West!) and other aspects, I'm sure you wouldn't come to the same conclusion.

There was a debate in the UK a few years ago about 'happy news' and 'sad news' the latter seemingly always outweighing the former and adding to an already depressed nation.

I think that Australians and news editors do have a different set of news priorities - how anyone can find interest in 15 minutes of sports news I'll never know - but I really don't think that the edia is controlled by govt - state or federal.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
This is so true...I also think that is why so many people think twice about returning back to the U.K....you know what you are returning to....coming out here we thought it would be easy...big homes/cars/jobs etc but it is no different to being at home (maybe for the homes but now they are very expensive)you still have to work hard, pay bills,deal with everyday problems....the P.R is excellent the Government and State do an excellent job in regards to keeping the media/news under "control"...but it's not real life...If one famous Aus (I have only heard one) says anything slightly bad about Aus...wow...heaven help them...I think people are brainwashed from an early age.....................which is great but again not "real life".....over the Ausse Day holiday a "gang" of theives "robbed" quite a few homes in our area in the same day.....this area was targeted.....this has only just been reported but only in our local paper.....
I don't consider people here as 'brainwashed' but more instilled with a national pride. One of the big problems in the UK IMO is that the public in general, as a result of the way the media covers things, are not so much proud to be British but ashamed. Look how many programmes have been dedicated to sun, sea, sex and beer holidays like in Faliraki etc. Along with programmes showing how teenagers behave during their alcoholic binges on a Friday and Saturday night out all over the UK. Why *celebrate* this behaviour by giving it air time? And I don't think we should bury our heads in the sand as to what goes on but surely showing these drunken, violent kids having a so called good time is not a good advertisement to the mid-teen children as how to spend a weekend in a couple of years time.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

I blame the parents
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:02 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

5 or 6 teenagers have been murdered in London this year alone. It seems to be on the increase.

I am not that naive to think 'Oh lets go to Perth and escape all of this' because unless they don't make knives in Perth or you cannot obtain a gun, then of course it is going to go on.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Every school in Southampton has been given a "wand" to check for kids who are going to school armed......................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.