Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

its Officilal, supermarkets are expensive

its Officilal, supermarkets are expensive

Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: its Officilal, supermarkets are expensive

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am doing just the average of everyone, not hundreds of different averages, I will let someone else do that, if they really want to find some averages that suit them, instead of the average of all averages.

You are prepared to accept the figures of high food prices, which are average figures supplied by exactly the same source, but not wages, because they don't suit ?

How about we exclude Supermarkets from food prices to see what the real prices are that sensible people pay ? Or do you prefer to see the average of all averages, that are being quoted, as they are higher ?
Like your thinking..
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So they go bankrupt and then the monolith that has driven them to it, becomes the monopoly and puts it's prices up.
Not so. If you have 4-5 big players then there will be true competition as in the US, UK, France, Germany etc.

I will be happy when I see boarded up strip malls next to gleaming, massive hypermarkets with full car parks.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not so. If you have 4-5 big players then there will be true competition as in the US, UK, France, Germany etc.

I will be happy when I see boarded up strip malls next to gleaming, massive hypermarkets with full car parks.
lol. Or even a supermarket where I dont have to push my trolley through the shopping centre to get it to my car!!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:18 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
lol. Or even a supermarket where I dont have to push my trolley through the shopping centre to get it to my car!!
In short:
"Why cain't it be like it were back 'ome?"

Simple answer:
"It can, go 'ome."
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
My nearest is stand alone next to a car park that always has space. I won't use the ones inside a mall. They piss me off and I used to run over kids and get moaned at. Best to stay away
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack
In short:
"Why cain't it be like it were back 'ome?"

Simple answer:
"It can, go 'ome."

will,forgive me for asking are you short tongued,or do you have a bit of a lisp.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catch
maybe so but it is still a lot cheaper than road freight from beijing to london.
Sticking to shipping I would question whether the per unit cost was more. It may be twice the distance but I doubt if the extra shipping cost would be more than the volume savings.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 9th 2009 at 10:31 am.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:29 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

will,forgive me for asking are you short tongued,or do you have a bit of a lisp.
No, I speak and write Australian with no hint of accent. I was trying my English. Sorry if I mangled it.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
True they did not, but they made Tesco and others lift their game. Tesco showed what a powerful player they are by responding and getting more competitive.
I reckon Tesco lifted their game way before Walmart bought Asda. I would say that the reason Asda came up for sale was because Tesco had already made itself the dominant player pushing Sainsbury into 2nd place before Walmart pushed them further into 3rd place.

I lived through it all.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Sticking to shipping I would question whether the per unit cost was more. It may be twice the distance but I doubt if the extra shipping cost would be more than the volume savings.
dont know you could be right ,got to give the labrador a bath and de flea him for dog training.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WillBlack
No, I speak and write Australian with no hint of accent. I was trying my English. Sorry if I mangled it.
well thats alright then,i thought you was taking the mick out of the northern english accent,my dogs australian born and bred and he never sounds like that
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

I think he's having a stroke
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It was cheaper then. The exchange rate has changed considerably since then.
Food in OZ was extortinate 2 years ago too.

Last trip back to UK was 2 years ago, our shop there was about 80GBP at the time we were spending about $240 - $280 here. Items as similar as possible.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 9th 2009 at 7:54 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;8082945]

Fake Jaffa Cakes ? Oh.. you mean not a 'British' Brand of Jaffa cake.

/QUOTE]

Whacky post of the year moment. The race of jaffa cakes.

I couldnt give a toss what country food comes from, maybe you with your 57% payrise stats, can be more choosy than us mere mortals.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Food in OZ was extortinate 2 years ago too.

Last trip back to UK was 2 years ago, our shop there was about 80GBP at the time we were spending about $240 - $280 here. Items as similar as possible.
No it wasn't. I made the trip to the UK in 2007 and it wasn't any cheaper. Some things were cheaper, some things were more expensive. For my buying habits then Aus was cheaper but I could see that the UK was cheaper for people who live in frozen pizzas and crisps. (Not saying that's your buying habits but I suspect they are different to mine.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.