Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: its Officilal, supermarkets are expensive

Originally Posted by markbhx
Not really the matches cost more than that
Never seen Ray Mears then?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:06 pm
experienced member

Lordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markbhx
Yes it is clear who the fools are!!

Tesco net income 2008 4.5 billion AUD.
Coles net income 2008 1 billion AUD
Woolies net income 2008 1.8 billion AUD
But there's a difference between net fools and gross fools. Google will guide you. LOL!!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Spot on. We are ripped off in this country because the Aussie consumer is compliant, uncomplaining and has been 'conditioned' to being ripped off.
....not helped by Protectionism.

The restriction on imported books is to stay.

Protectionism 1 - Aussie Consumer 0

...and a win for overseas retailers too.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
....not helped by Protectionism.

The restriction on imported books is to stay.

Protectionism 1 - Aussie Consumer 0

...and a win for overseas retailers too.
I suspect it is also a tactic to keep the Australian public ill-educated and away from mass book ownership.

Totally hijacked by a group of authors and publishers, but the reality is I don't care because I will continue to buy all my books from overseas.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sr71
I suspect it is also a tactic to keep the Australian public ill-educated and away from mass book ownership.

Totally hijacked by a group of authors and publishers, but the reality is I don't care because I will continue to buy all my books from overseas.
And cheaper than borders even with airmail costs! If only argos could deliver to oz :-) I'd never have to visit those awful shops that are k-mart and target.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent a month back in the UK and it is much cheaper than Oz now in many areas, clothes shopping, generally food is much cheaper, drinking out is now much cheaper, Melbourne bars often charge 8-9 dollars for a pint, trendy places charge that for a bottle, even in central London i could easily find cheap places to drink, and the one area i never thought would be cheaper is eating out at restaurants, you can still eat cheap in Melbourne at a basic ethnic restaurant, say vietnamese but all the places around me now charge over $20 for a main, even the local pub charges $22 for fish and chips.
I had some great quality food in the uk for less than i can here, you still have to be very picky in the uk as some places still are terrible but over the last 10 years the standards have risen incredibly and because of the reccession prices are now reasonable.

But the uk is not only cheaper than Oz its also way cheaper than most european and asian countries, London shops are doing a brisk trade from overseas tourists taking advantage of the exchange rate, we dined out with several friends from around europe and all commented on how cheap they found London, apart from one thing, the price of a hotel, they are still very expensive, we found many places to be fully booked as well.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:00 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Just spent a month back in the UK and it is much cheaper than Oz now in many areas, clothes shopping, generally food is much cheaper, drinking out is now much cheaper, Melbourne bars often charge 8-9 dollars for a pint, trendy places charge that for a bottle, even in central London i could easily find cheap places to drink, and the one area i never thought would be cheaper is eating out at restaurants, you can still eat cheap in Melbourne at a basic ethnic restaurant, say vietnamese but all the places around me now charge over $20 for a main, even the local pub charges $22 for fish and chips.
I had some great quality food in the uk for less than i can here, you still have to be very picky in the uk as some places still are terrible but over the last 10 years the standards have risen incredibly and because of the reccession prices are now reasonable.

But the uk is not only cheaper than Oz its also way cheaper than most european and asian countries, London shops are doing a brisk trade from overseas tourists taking advantage of the exchange rate, we dined out with several friends from around europe and all commented on how cheap they found London, apart from one thing, the price of a hotel, they are still very expensive, we found many places to be fully booked as well.
Not sure that they are the best advertisement for their wares, or even their wares for that matter:
http://www.plough-at-eathorpe.co.uk/fishnchips.html

But their lunch and dinner menus:
http://www.plough-at-eathorpe.co.uk/menus.html £4.95 * 1.8 = $8.91
http://www.plough-at-eathorpe.co.uk/mainmenu.html ~£11 * 1.8 = ~$20
sound like good fare only slightly different in content (more accented towards fat and carbohydrate) and price to that you find in Australian pubs.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Not sure that they are the best advertisement for their wares, or even their wares for that matter:
http://www.plough-at-eathorpe.co.uk/fishnchips.html

But their lunch and dinner menus:
http://www.plough-at-eathorpe.co.uk/menus.html £4.95 * 1.8 = $8.91
http://www.plough-at-eathorpe.co.uk/mainmenu.html ~£11 * 1.8 = ~$20
sound like good fare only slightly different in content (more accented towards fat and carbohydrate) and price to that you find in Australian pubs.
i can assure you i am very picky, sure you can find very cheap nasty pub food, but now many places have moved up a notch and if you look around
there is some great food to be had at fantastic prices. Not sure Melbourne pubs are any different, those Parmas dont look that healthy to me.

20 years ago eating out in Australia was incredibly good value, nearly half the price of the UK and very high standards, now that is not the case, still some great places to eat mind, just got to look for them here as well.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:26 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

i can assure you i am very picky, sure you can find very cheap nasty pub food, but now many places have moved up a notch and if you look around
there is some great food to be had at fantastic prices. Not sure Melbourne pubs are any different, those Parmas dont look that healthy to me.

20 years ago eating out in Australia was incredibly good value, nearly half the price of the UK and very high standards, now that is not the case, still some great places to eat mind, just got to look for them here as well.
Pubs in Australia are sprucing up their dining rooms as well as their menus, so not dissimilar history as well perhaps.

It occurs to me the The Plough felt the need to cater to cheaper customers with their takeaway fish & chips. A development I have not noticed in Australia in either rural or urban areas.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack

It occurs to me the The Plough felt the need to cater to cheaper customers with their takeaway fish & chips. A development I have not noticed in Australia in either rural or urban areas.
Just looks like they are trying to run a basic chippy in an area that doesn't have one. Smart business move if you ask me.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

"It does not mean that the pound here in Britain, in your pocket or purse or in your bank, has been devalued."

Prime Minister Harold Wilson 1967
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Just looks like they are trying to run a basic chippy in an area that doesn't have one. Smart business move if you ask me.
Google Map: The Plough
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:45 am
Banned

I have not noticed much change in quality, except for improvements in pub meals, or in relative price in Australia. I don't eat out much any more as I don't like the noisy modern decor and I have better meals at home.

I did notice that protein in Britain was relatively more expensive but seems less so now, mainly beef being expensive beyond obvious explanation.

A substantial reduction in raw food costs may explain part of the relative decrease in the cost British restaurant food, but not all. How have British restaurants improved their productivity?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If you go again, we found some bargain accomodation, tip from a BE member. Travelodge, yes not flash, about the same as IBIS in OZ but pretty darn cheap. We have one night in central London, at one of the newish properties, ( reviews seem to indicate that is a big factor ) anyway family room, 1 adult and 2 kids with dinner and breakfast included ( kids eat free ) for 42 pound total. One of the best tips I got off BE.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If you go again, we found some bargain accomodation, tip from a BE member. Travelodge, yes not flash, about the same as IBIS in OZ but pretty darn cheap. We have one night in central London, at one of the newish properties, ( reviews seem to indicate that is a big factor ) anyway family room, 1 adult and 2 kids with dinner and breakfast included ( kids eat free ) for 42 pound total. One of the best tips I got off BE.
Travel Lodge UK - London prices
http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_a...1&children_4=0

Travel Lodge Australia - Sydney prices
https://www.togareservations.com/Tra...35556519383223
Attached Thumbnails its Officilal, supermarkets are expensive-travellodge-sydney.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.