Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Hi all,
Well we are definately northeners .
We are all from Rochdale and now living in Toowoomba, which is up a big hill about an hour from Brisbane.
We have been here just over a year and loving it.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

TheHarrisFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
A family of smoggies here, Hahaha . We are in Middlesbrough and will arive in Perth in March.
Actually, away from the town, Middlesbrough is very nice, 10mins from North Yorkshire National Park.
I have lots of family in Mindarie, north of Perth, all from the Boro.( 1 soft southerner aswell )
Looking forward to going through a drivethrew and getting a suprise in my bag!!!!
see you all soon.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:17 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Northern take over of Aus...

Originally Posted by LM109
Hi all,
Well we are definately northeners .
We are all from Rochdale and now living in Toowoomba, which is up a big hill about an hour from Brisbane.
We have been here just over a year and loving it.
Originally Posted by TheHarrisFamily
Hi,
A family of smoggies here, Hahaha . We are in Middlesbrough and will arive in Perth in March.
Actually, away from the town, Middlesbrough is very nice, 10mins from North Yorkshire National Park.
I have lots of family in Mindarie, north of Perth, all from the Boro.( 1 soft southerner aswell )
Looking forward to going through a drivethrew and getting a suprise in my bag!!!!
see you all soon.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:25 am
Just Joined

TheHarrisFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, my husband says he is a Yorkshireman- "Says what he likes and likes what he bloody well says". Hahahaha
Roll on March, we are ready for some sun!

p.s. love your very long post, annqldau, very true and acurate!!

Last edited by TheHarrisFamily; Feb 9th 2009 at 8:29 am. Reason: add on
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:12 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annqldau
It's grim Up North in the UK however, i'm finding it quite pleasant overall Up North in Aus...

so how many Northerners are in Aus now?

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

I'm originally from Easington Village in Co. Durham on North East Coast of UK between Newcastle/Sunderland and Hartlepool (for those that don't know where that is).
I'm a northerner Yorkshireman to be exact who's now a dare I say it southerner in vic and loving it.
Saw your hometown on tv last week on the secret millionaire seemed like a nice place on hard times

Last edited by paul30; Feb 9th 2009 at 9:14 am.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

As a Southerner, I believe that one Southerner migrating = heaps of Northerners already there! So this should balance out things nicely.

(Now quietly awaits the fallout by crouching under the stairs with a hard hat on!)

TD
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:58 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Any newbie Aussie UK Northerners???
I'm from Sheffield
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:13 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Possums
I'm from Sheffield
It all sort of depends on your definition of North as I was quite a way up I count after York as the Middle of UK but that's because it takes us hours to get to Leeds, Sheffield and Bradford etc. and down over but to Southerners Sheffield would def be Northern.

Although I guess here you are a Southerner...
Old Feb 14th 2009, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

kateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to all

It all sort of depends on your definition of North as I was quite a way up I count after York as the Middle of UK but that's because it takes us hours to get to Leeds, Sheffield and Bradford etc. and down over but to Southerners Sheffield would def be Northern.

i'm from sunderland and lived in london for the 10 years before we emigrated.

anything north of watford is north to cockneys
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:37 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

naaa not having that, Yorkshire is the ephinany of Northener ask Arthur Scargill.

as for the last comment I am so offended! we are upsidedown after all, so in fact in my world I am still ooop North
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:47 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Possums
naaa not having that, Yorkshire is the ephinany of Northener ask Arthur Scargill.

as for the last comment I am so offended! we are upsidedown after all, so in fact in my world I am still ooop North
well said. Just one thing isn't any where south of sheffield really classed as france
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

We're in Manchester and going over to Melbourne in October. My dad and his side of the family though are from Middlesborough, and I use to love goin up there and goin to the Riverside 'Come on boro'! lol Anybody know Stokesley I still have family there
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Danny Kay:I think you'll find Australia also has their fair share of "idiots"!I've spent nearly 30 years in Oz and now live in the UK and well its pretty much the same to be honest.When my parents emigrated to Oz back in 1970 (we are from the south)I think it would be fair to say even back then there were way more northerners emigrating.Must admit I love where I live!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I know Stoksley, Guisborough, Great Ayton etc. I used to work in WH Smith in Middlesbrough....years ago. We support them too

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
We're in Manchester and going over to Melbourne in October. My dad and his side of the family though are from Middlesborough, and I use to love goin up there and goin to the Riverside 'Come on boro'! lol Anybody know Stokesley I still have family there
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I know Stoksley, Guisborough, Great Ayton etc. I used to work in WH Smith in Middlesbrough....years ago. We support them too

Really no way, I love it up there haven't been for a couple of years though I'll definitely go up before we leave for oz. My Grandparents lived in Great Broughton that's my favorite place it's special to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.