Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's going down in Sydney

It's going down in Sydney

Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's going down in Sydney

The suggestion is being made that this is related to arrests made this morning in Sydney :

Two in custody after Sydney raid

which itself is suggested to be related to the Brisbane arrests for funding sending people to Syria.

If so, then it wouldn't be particularly well planned/timed etc., more reactive.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
The suggestion is being made that this is related to arrests made this morning in Sydney :

Two in custody after Sydney raid

which itself is suggested to be related to the Brisbane arrests for funding sending people to Syria.

If so, then it wouldn't be particularly well planned/timed etc., more reactive.
They just interviewed the police commissioner and he said it was unrelated. But he also said they have not made contact with the person(s) so who would know. Sounds like they don't know too much yet or aren't saying anything if they do.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:02 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
They just interviewed the police commissioner and he said it was unrelated. But he also said they have not made contact with the person(s) so who would know. Sounds like they don't know too much yet or aren't saying anything if they do.

I am amazed that there are so many people down there spectating. Just watched the news and there are quite literally thousands of people lined up on the streets spectating.

S
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I am amazed that there are so many people down there spectating. Just watched the news and there are quite literally thousands of people lined up on the streets spectating.

S
One news reader said most were people with family in the buildings in around the siege. Apparently the Westpac building and a couple of other buildings weren't allowed to leave, the employees were told to just stay away from windows and stay put. I just saw the police cart some guy away who was believed to be there protesting about the over reaction by the police to the incident.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Yes I thought that, why was the area not cleared??

bizzare.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Hadley reckons one of the hostages called him (under direction of the gunman). I've been listening to his show for the first time in my life. He really is an insufferable prick.

Weird that there have been no demands/developments this far in. All suggests a lone fruit loop who has no idea what he's doing.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:10 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
One news reader said most were people with family in the buildings in around the siege. Apparently the Westpac building and a couple of other buildings weren't allowed to leave, the employees were told to just stay away from windows and stay put. I just saw the police cart some guy away who was believed to be there protesting about the over reaction by the police to the incident.

Meanwhile, UTS - nearly a mile and a half away from the scene - has been evacuated and staff sent home...

S
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yes I thought that, why was the area not cleared??

bizzare.
Yep me too. I remember the London bombings and the police had those streets cleared. My husband said earlier that loads of people were just carrying on their business as far as he could tell, that was around the time he got the message from his management merely "suggesting" that they stay inside.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Hockey going ahead with the MYEFO report, no doubt delighted it will be shunted to page 17 in all the papers tomorrow.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Hockey going ahead with the MYEFO report, no doubt delighted it will be shunted to page 17 in all the papers tomorrow.
I was thinking that earlier. What timing.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I was thinking that earlier. What timing.
I have just listened to Chris Bowen talk about the budget deficit on TV but the heading underneath said "Chris Bowen speaks on hostage crisis".

This is not the day. Disgraceful, not to mention stupid.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:23 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

On one news report one of the spectators stated that he heard that a journalist from Channel 7 said he saw the hostages being told to put back packs on, which could be one reason not to move large numbers around the area out until they are absolutely sure what they are dealing with.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:26 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have just listened to Chris Bowen talk about the budget deficit on TV but the heading underneath said "Chris Bowen speaks on hostage crisis".

This is not the day. Disgraceful, not to mention stupid.
Tony Abbot did say in his speech earlier that the budget deficit will go ahead and all discussions about the siege would be dealt with by the police.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bit surprised at some of the commentary, given that we do not even know yet if its political, terrorist, religious, extremist, for all we really know it could just some nut job particularly unhappy with his local coffee shop.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Tony Abbot did say in his speech earlier that the budget deficit will go ahead and all discussions about the siege would be dealt with by the police.
Life goes on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.