Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's going down in Sydney

It's going down in Sydney

Old Dec 15th 2014, 11:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's going down in Sydney

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I think you might have been watching to many films......maybe you would like Rambo or Steven Segal?

SAS are an extreme last resort and would have to be approved at Prime Ministerial level. Each state police force has SOG, SERT, TRG or whatever designation for that particular state, which are similarly trained to SAS standard.
I would have preferred Chuck Norris actually
Old Dec 15th 2014, 11:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Found this on another site. A little scary.

Edit: I've removed the image as I've heard that it was most likely a hoax.
I tend to find those kind of things are

If someone was planning to do something on NYE, they wouldn't be posting about it on social media
Old Dec 15th 2014, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I do see the bigger picture and I have for a long time, that's the problem. I can't understand why you think this is a single incident, don't you see that these types of incidents are connected by people who have the same goal?

You can't compare the IRA with Islamic extremists, they're playing a totally different ball game. The IRA have one goal, the Islamic extremists have many aimed at anyone who doesn't sing from their hymn sheet.
Remember social media wasn't present then like it is today, what people didn't know back then didn't hurt them. We get to know a lot of information nowadays, It's a different society with added worries. People are going to react differently.

Yes we have a hostage situation, which I hope gets resolved soon. The fact that no one has been shot yet, or the fact that a bomb hasn't been detonated yet, doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen or there isn't one. I also very much doubt this is a crank, there's something just not right about this ' hostage' situation, but I'm sure all will become clear.
You are of course correct. Criminal acts will always be upon us. I don't see much more than a rogue disenfranchised gunman who happens to be Muslim, with no support.

Sad day I expect for some who would have taken a degree of satisfaction in linking this outrage with Islamic terrorism and what not. As most are aware every community has outsiders that preach the religion of hate. Fairly recent events that saw seventy seven slain in Norway further underline that.

Obviously no one can say the real deal will not occur on Australian or UK soil. International involvement can indeed result in unpleasant things happening both in the theatre hostilities are being carried out as well on the soil of those countries participating.

Some similarities with IRA can be concluded. Technology works both ways. Easier to keep track these days than the 80's with highly sophisticated devices. Nothing is ever exactly the same but the same determination and desperation would in my view make either side a hard to beat foe.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can't penalise their families unless the family members have also broken the law, that's unfair, and unjust.
Certainly shouldn't. Although long the practise of the Israeli Self Defence Force in Gaza and West Bank of course.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
it was absolutely about religion. In fact the Lebanese Christians at the time came out with a statement distancing themselves from the actions of the Lebanese Muslims. I'll give you it morphed into a wider issue, but I didnt 'spend time' in Cronulla before and after the riots, I was living there and it was my home. Let me assure you very very clearly, 'didn't look pretty' doesn't even begin to cover it.

My point is, everything seems ok until it isn't. And that tipping point can be fairly easily met.
For what its worth I lived in Cronulla in the 90's and the bullying of middle eastern gangs was happening back then. I can assure you, the locals had no idea if those in gangs of middle eastern appearance that harrassed the locals were Lebanese Muslims or Syrian Christians. To them it was just 'Lebs' or 'Wogs' that were making life unpleasant. Thats about as deep as the locals looked into it. Attitudes have changed since the riots. Embarrassment for starters but the gangs no longer cause trouble in Cronulla.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Well looks like this event has caused the exact opposite effect this looney was after. This is now trending world wide.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia...ter-cafe-siege
Old Dec 16th 2014, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Sabra and Chatilla, I remember that on the news, horrific.

I've got to say if someone invaded England, slaughtered my family, installed a puppet government, systematically stole the country's resources, imprisoned my friends without trial and tortured them then I'd be a little pissed off too.

Not saying I support Muslim radicals or even sympathise with them but I do empathise with them.
Well said
Old Dec 16th 2014, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
For what its worth I lived in Cronulla in the 90's and the bullying of middle eastern gangs was happening back then. I can assure you, the locals had no idea if those in gangs of middle eastern appearance that harrassed the locals were Lebanese Muslims or Syrian Christians. To them it was just 'Lebs' or 'Wogs' that were making life unpleasant. Thats about as deep as the locals looked into it. Attitudes have changed since the riots. Embarrassment for starters but the gangs no longer cause trouble in Cronulla.
I lived there from '89 to '93 and then moved back again some years later ( and then moved back to North Narra! I think I'm a ' Movaholic ). There was some tension but mostly around parking and massive picnic parties on long weekends.

There was definitely an awareness of the difference in factions amongst the SCLC and the SCBC as I was a member of both. Also members were several of the police, one of whom was in charge of the transformation from the old SWOS ( post Hilton Hotel) to TAG.

The tension in the '90s was nothing to the outright rioting that was to come. I saw many fights between locals and westies of all descriptions at Cronulla but generally it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. The riots were borne out of something different and there was a definite ' change of temperature' about the place.

I was pretty happy to sell up and move back to North Narrabeen once I had fixed the damage to my place. It was much more straightforward at Narrabeen, you either lived on the ocean side of Pittwater Rd or you kept driving, at least you did if you were a surfer
Old Dec 16th 2014, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney gunman was 'wanted in Iran' - BBC News

BBC is reporting he was wanted in Iran for fraud.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Well looks like this event has caused the exact opposite effect this looney was after. This is now trending world wide.

#illridewithyou: hashtag offers solidarity with Sydney's Muslims after siege | Australia news | The Guardian
I don't think even the looney himself knew exactly what he was after.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Glad to hear that. Retaliation on both sides hopefully pointed towards the futility of inner group street/beach warfare with cooler heads bringing the rabble on both sides to heel.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Glad to hear that. Retaliation on both sides hopefully pointed towards the futility of inner group street/beach warfare with cooler heads bringing the rabble on both sides to heel.
Yep. And I think the recent event in Sydney demonstrates that. 10 years ago it might have meant greater resentment towards to Muslim community. I feel the wider community now looks at it as a few bad Islamic apples rather than Islam as a whole.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep. And I think the recent event in Sydney demonstrates that. 10 years ago it might have meant greater resentment towards to Muslim community. I feel the wider community now looks at it as a few bad Islamic apples rather than Islam as a whole.
I do tend to agree. Over this time Australia has matured to the extent that those of ill intent with the aim to create community unrest, can to a greater extent be muzzled. At the very least not to be able to claim to speak for the majority of citizens.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 8:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the wider community now looks at it as a few bad Islamic apples rather than Islam as a whole.
I'm so glad about that too
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

QUOTE=spouse of scouse;11505188] I'm so glad about that too[/QUOTE]

In a weird way I thought this was a nice article ..... The Telegraph ..... Cough cough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.