Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Itemised Packing - now, later or don't bother?

Itemised Packing - now, later or don't bother?

Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

MidLifeCrisis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Itemised Packing - now, later or don't bother?

Hi we are hopefully moving to a rental here in the UK before getting our Visa. The question is really: When the packers come(ready to ship to container) do they itemise everything in a box, e.g. a box full of books - is every book itemised or does it just go down as 'Books'?

Reason being we are packing now(for moving into Rental) & we don't know whether to itemise everything now & then unpack it all in the rental & then get it all packed again by the International Packers

I know there is probably an insurance issue if we pack it ourselves, but I would rather just throw it all in a box without itemising as it is extremely tedious & time consuming

thanks, Mid.

Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; Feb 21st 2007 at 1:06 pm. Reason: tried to word it better & probably failed miserably :)
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Itemised Packing - now, later or don't bother?

They will probably want to pack everything themselves - even if it means lifting things out of one box in to another. They will not list every specific book, unless you have a few particularly expensive ones that you want listed specifically. It will say '80 books' etc. If you might want to replace things if your container washed up on the Devon coast ( ) then you could write specific brands etc down - although whether you'd get identical products in Australia I don't know.
I am aware that our things (Which are on their way now) did not get listed very specifically. However, we did our own valuation list which is what the insurers would refer to in the event of a Napoli!

(Have rambled on a bit there, hope some of it is relevant!)
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:34 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis
Hi we are hopefully moving to a rental here in the UK before getting our Visa. The question is really: When the packers come(ready to ship to container) do they itemise everything in a box, e.g. a box full of books - is every book itemised or does it just go down as 'Books'?

Reason being we are packing now(for moving into Rental) & we don't know whether to itemise everything now & then unpack it all in the rental & then get it all packed again by the International Packers

I know there is probably an insurance issue if we pack it ourselves, but I would rather just throw it all in a box without itemising as it is extremely tedious & time consuming

thanks, Mid.
Just keep things that might be of Intrest to AQIS ,together IE, KIT/products, Shoes/boots, Garden items, Wooden ornaments.
mark these boxes Clearly this will help with your clearence through the bond store inspection...........mm
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:47 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to bear in mind: If you read posts on here of otherpeople's experiences with removal companies, then many "removers"/customs/AQIS employees are light-fingered.

Unless you itemise your belongings (things like books, CDs, records) and check them off when you unpack them at the other end, you might not notice straightaway if something is missing.

Gina
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:55 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Another thing to bear in mind: If you read posts on here of otherpeople's experiences with removal companies, then many "removers"/customs/AQIS employees are light-fingered.

Unless you itemise your belongings (things like books, CDs, records) and check them off when you unpack them at the other end, you might not notice straightaway if something is missing.

Gina
Thats a bit scary someone just helping themselves when in a position of trust.
Lisa
xxxx
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by esperanza
They will probably want to pack everything themselves - even if it means lifting things out of one box in to another.
Yes, this is what I feared. We will probably just chuck everything in boxes to go into rental, then do all the itemising when we finally get visa & get international packers in.

Originally Posted by mr mover
Just keep things that might be of Intrest to AQIS ,together IE, KIT/products, Shoes/boots, Garden items, Wooden ornaments.
mark these boxes Clearly this will help with your clearence through the bond store inspection...........mm
Thanks for the tip Mr Mover

Mid.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina
Yeah, I was following a thread off another forum about light fingered removallers, makes you sick I'd like to take all our personal stuff on the plane with me so it doesnt get nicked but that would be impossible. Perhaps I will hollow out some books & put some jewllery & stuff in them..... just thought....... I hope they're not reading this thread

Mid