Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ISP, Contracts, Bigpoo etc etc

ISP, Contracts, Bigpoo etc etc

Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ISP, Contracts, Bigpoo etc etc

Originally Posted by nicktork
135gig is only ~4gig per day... it's easily done.

(Corrie, Eastenders, Emmerdale, Skint, Extras, Johnny Ross, Parkinson, Wife Swap, X Factor & Xtra Factor, Football Focus, live Champs League and Premiership games, Match of the Day 1 & 2, Lost, Prison Break. Not to mention Skype, MSN, E-Mail, job applications, etc).

I've had about 3 days outage in the past 4 months with Wild and found it impossible to speak to anyone except the messaging service. I only recommend them if you're techie enough not to need to call them for support.

Other people seem to recommend Internode, I think they have a 80-90gig per month plan for about the same money as Wild's "unlimited" one.
cor blimey, thought I downloaded a lot and I only download 3 of those programmes!! just as a side question do you watch them on your PC or on the TV. we don't have a divx compatible dvd player so I just sit at the computer and watch it. wondered what kind of quality you get on a big TV.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:18 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernbird
I thought I downloaded a lot, obviously not. Someone is always on ours during the day and 30GB a month is ample for us.
Yeah me too!

I must admit in the UK my p2p client was on 24/7 and I must've been dl heaps then, but now it goes on for a couple of days a month! ... ... rubbish!

50Gb p/m would do easy I reckon.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:20 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

cor blimey, thought I downloaded a lot and I only download 3 of those programmes!! just as a side question do you watch them on your PC or on the TV. we don't have a divx compatible dvd player so I just sit at the computer and watch it. wondered what kind of quality you get on a big TV.
Good Guy's sell a half decent DivX playing DVD player for under $100
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:22 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Good Guy's sell a half decent DivX playing DVD player for under $100
yeah I have seen them but I don't want to waste any money if the quality is pants on my 42" TV. on my 19" computer LCD its fine and don't mind sitting here like a sad pap watching stuff!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nicktork
135gig is only ~4gig per day... it's easily done.

(Corrie, Eastenders, Emmerdale, Skint, Extras, Johnny Ross, Parkinson, Wife Swap, X Factor & Xtra Factor, Football Focus, live Champs League and Premiership games, Match of the Day 1 & 2, Lost, Prison Break. Not to mention Skype, MSN, E-Mail, job applications, etc).

I've had about 3 days outage in the past 4 months with Wild and found it impossible to speak to anyone except the messaging service. I only recommend them if you're techie enough not to need to call them for support.

Other people seem to recommend Internode, I think they have a 80-90gig per month plan for about the same money as Wild's "unlimited" one.
Yeah I suppose 4gig isn't a lot when you put it like that! ...lol

I guess I'm savvy enough to not need 'techie support' as long as the signal is coming down the pipe that is!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:23 am
Account Closed

yeah I have seen them but I don't want to waste any money if the quality is pants on my 42" TV. on my 19" computer LCD its fine and don't mind sitting here like a sad pap watching stuff!
I play movies on a 50" plasma and all good!

Well, as good as the rip is anyway!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We've just signed up with Internode - can't recommend 'em enough. We're on the 1.5Mb/256k Home Pro plan at 40Gb allowance. Since we make our living online reliability and network are hugely important and after speaking to lots of folks on Whirlpool and with Internode themselves, it became pretty obvious who we should be with. They have unmetered download servers, a full supernews newsgroup feed, no excess usage fees, 'free' uploads, their own fibre pipe direct to the states (means v.quick web access), loads of game servers (if you're into that sort of thing, which I am) and superb customer support. If you live 'metro' you can get their ADSL2 service as well.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I play movies on a 50" plasma and all good!

Well, as good as the rip is anyway!
I play my downloads on my LG PVR - it upscales the picture to the plasma's resolution and outputs the signal via progressive scan - makes for superb quality. Working my way through the new season of Spooks at the moment.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
We've just signed up with Internode - can't recommend 'em enough. We're on the 1.5Mb/256k Home Pro plan at 40Gb allowance. Since we make our living online reliability and network are hugely important and after speaking to lots of folks on Whirlpool and with Internode themselves, it became pretty obvious who we should be with. They have unmetered download servers, a full supernews newsgroup feed, no excess usage fees, 'free' uploads, their own fibre pipe direct to the states (means v.quick web access), loads of game servers (if you're into that sort of thing, which I am) and superb customer support. If you live 'metro' you can get their ADSL2 service as well.
Sounds good to me, especially as I know you know your stuff ...

40Gb will do fine I reckon.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Altho just have to hope none of this goes on :

Broadband ISP Exetel has announced that due to cost pressures it will halve the speed of peer to peer traffic such as BitTorrent for its users.

In a statement to customers, Exetel revealed that P2P traffic was becoming an increasing burden on its network, and that it would begin "de-prioritizing" it.

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

I play my downloads on my LG PVR - it upscales the picture to the plasma's resolution and outputs the signal via progressive scan - makes for superb quality. Working my way through the new season of Spooks at the moment.
am I better sticking to watching it on my pc or will a divx compatible dvd player do the same thing? don't need one of those pvr thingys as we have foxtel iq.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:49 am
Account Closed

am I better sticking to watching it on my pc or will a divx compatible dvd player do the same thing? don't need one of those pvr thingys as we have foxtel iq.
You could even use TV-out on your graphics card (as long as it has it!) to watch on the TV, but just a bit fiddly setting it all up. Been done before tho!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:23 am
Account Closed

We've just signed up with Internode
Just spoke to them and all looking good! ...

$39 to transfer over.

3 - 5 days to do the deed!

$65 if I leave within 6 months ... which is fine.

$89 for the 40Gb plan ... which'll do I reckon. Bigpoo want $139 for their 20Gb cap ...

Desired username is available! ...

What more can I want!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:26 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

You never know!

Does ANYONE have any idea how I can get out of a contract with Bigpoo?

I foolishly signed up for a 24 month contract in haste and am 6 months into it and cannot go on as their capping system is painful and driving me mad!! ...

They want $30 for each month I don't see it thru which is over $500 ... Money I simply don't have to throw away.

Ok, I know, I signed up for it!! ... but after just arriving in the country, not knowing that 'unlimited' bandwidth is actually 'unlimited' till you reach a certain amount! ... ... and 2 teenage kids who SOOOO NEED their MSN ... ... I did sign in haste as I say ...

Any help most appreciated.
It pays to do some research before entering into such draconian contracts (the fact they insist on a 2 year contract would satisfy my litmus test).

We went with AAPT who have no contract, excellent broadband service and it's all bundled in with the phone (which includes $50 worth of calls) for $117 per month.

My suggestion would be to cut your losses and move on....
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
It pays to do some research before entering into such draconian contracts (the fact they insist on a 2 year contract would satisfy my litmus test).

We went with AAPT who have no contract, excellent broadband service and it's all bundled in with the phone (which includes $50 worth of calls) for $117 per month.

My suggestion would be to cut your losses and move on....
Yeah as I said I 'foolishly' ...

Am gonna cut the loses tho, just deciding on who to go with but Internode ARE looking good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.