Which ISP?

Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which ISP?

I have been very happy with Hypermax broadband til today: good help support, billing etc.

This afternoon I got an email baldly saying they were shutting don in June - no explanation or apology! The email has a link to Telstra Bigpond.

The Bigpond site has many links to find out their charges - none works. I phoned them and they knew nothing about Hypermax....

Has anyone any recommendations for a broadband supplier in the Highlands for a moderate user - usually 2 - 300 Mb a month? I was paying $19.95 most months.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:08 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Re: Which ISP?

Originally Posted by Wol
I have been very happy with Hypermax broadband til today: good help support, billing etc.

This afternoon I got an email baldly saying they were shutting don in June - no explanation or apology! The email has a link to Telstra Bigpond.

The Bigpond site has many links to find out their charges - none works. I phoned them and they knew nothing about Hypermax....

Has anyone any recommendations for a broadband supplier in the Highlands for a moderate user - usually 2 - 300 Mb a month? I was paying $19.95 most months.
Ive just recieved the same mail...and Im absolutely fumming...! I like the way I have to go infor a 2 year contract or pay penaltys but they can just say Tuff S### ...! Ive only just recently gone with them on broadband from the dial up I had when I arrived here 7 months ago...They shouldnt have let me take it out really if they knew this was coming.

Anyway I would like to know the answer to your question to as all the other providers I have just been looking at cost a fortune...and as for them suggesting we go with BigPond...well what a scam
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:23 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used Optusnet for both dial-up and broadband for the last 18 months and have found them to be excellent.

I also have my home fone with them and get 3 month free BB a year.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

iinet ADSL2+ 24Mb (I get effective 9Mb), 40Gb for $79/month. It's really fast & I've had no problems.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
iinet ADSL2+ 24Mb (I get effective 9Mb), 40Gb for $79/month. It's really fast & I've had no problems.
That's four times what I've been paying: OK, I only had 200Mb before paying extra per Mb but I only used the 200Mb a couple of times in the last year.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
That's four times what I've been paying: OK, I only had 200Mb before paying extra per Mb but I only used the 200Mb a couple of times in the last year.
Cool. I download/upload a lot of bittorent from UKNova etc. so need a fast connection with a lot of Gb.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:18 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Recently signed up with Bigpond and got a 1.5mb line with unlimited bandwidth.

Well as unlimited as it seems to get over here, which is 20gb a month. In the UK I would easily do this some months, but we'll have to keep an eye on it.

Normally $99 pm but have got 9 months at $49 then up to $99, but you can jump about the plans if you want.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Recently signed up with Bigpond and got a 1.5mb line with unlimited bandwidth.

Well as unlimited as it seems to get over here, which is 20gb a month. In the UK I would easily do this some months, but we'll have to keep an eye on it.

Normally $99 pm but have got 9 months at $49 then up to $99, but you can jump about the plans if you want.
I would re-read your terms of contract. And keep big movers away from the terminal. Bigpond charge both ways. Not only does your 20gb include what you download, it also includes what your computer sends back up the tubes and that can be up to 20% of the volume fo your downloads just in comms handshaking and confirming download data integrity.

Just check your excess charges per mb. From memory it used to be 3c/mb. That's $30.00/gb. So if you move an extra 10gb (up AND down) over your 20gb, that'll cost you an extra $300.00.

Telstra's Bigpond regularly gets bagged on the fora. Have a look @ www.whirlpool.net.au
Old Apr 21st 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Internode have been pretty good for me.

$39.99 pm - 512kb, 8Gb pm, no extra charges if you go over (connection speed reduced to 56k until your next monthly period)

Always check out the capping on plans, which ususally seem a bit harsh compared with the UK.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ialibu
I would re-read your terms of contract. And keep big movers away from the terminal. Bigpond charge both ways. Not only does your 20gb include what you download, it also includes what your computer sends back up the tubes and that can be up to 20% of the volume fo your downloads just in comms handshaking and confirming download data integrity.

Just check your excess charges per mb. From memory it used to be 3c/mb. That's $30.00/gb. So if you move an extra 10gb (up AND down) over your 20gb, that'll cost you an extra $300.00.

Telstra's Bigpond regularly gets bagged on the fora. Have a look @ www.whirlpool.net.au
Cheers, but yeah I knew it was both ways.

The Bigpond site is actually quite decent and you can check how much you've used.

Once you hit your limit you simply get capped off at 64kb/s which isn't much use, but only till the end your month.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 2:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lostpom
Internode have been pretty good for me.

$39.99 pm - 512kb, 8Gb pm, no extra charges if you go over (connection speed reduced to 56k until your next monthly period)

Always check out the capping on plans, which ususally seem a bit harsh compared with the UK.
Thank you: I checked out Internode and they do seem to be a contender.

Have you had any problems with them? Help line OK?

And - are they anything to do with Telstra <g>?
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 3:28 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol

Wol Check out www.tpg.com.au I have just gone with them. Its the same deal we had with hypermax for $24.95 a month and as long as you are still at this moment connected to hypermax and havent cancelled there is no set up charge,seems a fairly simple swap over for extra $5 a month,which I think may be as good as we will get on price....
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 4:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by peppi
Wol Check out www.tpg.com.au I have just gone with them. Its the same deal we had with hypermax for $24.95 a month and as long as you are still at this moment connected to hypermax and havent cancelled there is no set up charge,seems a fairly simple swap over for extra $5 a month,which I think may be as good as we will get on price....
I did look at tpg but read a lot of adverse comments on the whirlpool forum links about their service. I haven't yet decided which way to go - I don't need a huge download capacity because I only use the internet for email, a forum or two and looking things up. Thanks anyway.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wol

They have been fine. Only a couple of service issues in 12 months which were resolved quickly. They had an outage (that I didn't even notice) a while back, and sent out emails to the whole user base explaining exactly what caused the problems and the new h/w they were installing and in what timescales to avoid the same probs in the future. More proactive than some of my previous providers. They were also fairly flexible in allowing me to sign over my plan to my friends house we were living in.

Huh - I was just checking out the state of play for ADSL back in Blighty the other day. Can't believe that 2Mb connections are now pretty much the standard from under £15pm !!

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/sum...order=tco2048k