Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

iPhone, Nokia N97 - what else?

iPhone, Nokia N97 - what else?

Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:03 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default iPhone, Nokia N97 - what else?

I am looking to get an iPhone 3Gs but have heard bad reviews about it including battery overheating, or not lasting and the fact it is a sealed battery, if it runs out after the 12 month warranty then you have to send it to Apple to be repaired at your cost.

Someone at work said the Nokia N97 is good, I have an N95 which has been brilliant.

Basically I like taking photos/videos, picture messaging, video calls but really like all the applications on the iPhone.

What have you found to be good in the way of mobiles, I would like to be able to store notes as well.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:20 am
Just Joined

LondonIrish74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: iPhone, Nokia N97 - what else?

Hi PP - I also had the N95 & N96, which are both very good phones, but now have the Iphone. The Iphone camera is only 2MP and rubbish compared to the 5MP camera on the Nokias. Also, the Iphone doesn't have video recording, unless you opt for the 16 or 32Gb versions.

What the Iphone does have though is an unbelievable amount of apps, which in my opinion puts it way ahead of the nokia's. If I want to take photos now, I use a digital camera!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I have an iPhone 3GS and love it to death!

What LondonIrish says is basically correct though, the camera is not good, despite all the fanfare about it on the Apple website. It does shoot video and that seems better quality than the still images - its 3MP by the way, not 2.

If you can't leave it alone the battery life is short - especially if you use it for wifi.

The range of apps is fantastic and some of them are really useful.

I don't think you can beat the interface...much prefer it over the N97's keyboard.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:48 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am looking to get an iPhone 3Gs but have heard bad reviews about it including battery overheating, or not lasting and the fact it is a sealed battery, if it runs out after the 12 month warranty then you have to send it to Apple to be repaired at your cost.

Someone at work said the Nokia N97 is good, I have an N95 which has been brilliant.

Basically I like taking photos/videos, picture messaging, video calls but really like all the applications on the iPhone.

What have you found to be good in the way of mobiles, I would like to be able to store notes as well.
This is the kind of thing that makes the iPhone great. http://www.appstorehq.com/ustreamliv...one-102534/app .It's quite literally ahead of it's time when you think that none of the other established phone manufacturers can even come close to an equal offering?

The ustream application blew all of my colleagues away today. Quite simply amazing.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:55 am
ABCDiamond

LG Xenon.
My daughter has been comparing the LG Xenon to the Nokia N97, and wants the Xenon from choice.

I've just ordered one for her.

Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:59 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

iSpeedy is a good app as well.
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ispee...329939889?mt=8

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
This is the kind of thing that makes the iPhone great. http://www.appstorehq.com/ustreamliv...one-102534/app .It's quite literally ahead of it's time when you think that none of the other established phone manufacturers can even come close to an equal offering?

The ustream application blew all of my colleagues away today. Quite simply amazing.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

Wow! That's great....I was sure it was gonna be a link to the Sheep Launcher game though!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:05 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Wow! That's great....I was sure it was gonna be a link to the Sheep Launcher game though!
If there's one thing I've learnt recently, it's that sheep love to be streamed....
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:16 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point about the photos.

Ive heard there has been some iphone issues with the IGs 16gb overheating or something?

I would worry about if the phone broke after the 12 month warranty, and you are tied into a 24 month contract.

Really want an iphone and I guess photos dont matter, videos however are important.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:17 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Fair point about the photos.

Ive heard there has been some iphone issues with the IGs 16gb overheating or something?

I would worry about if the phone broke after the 12 month warranty, and you are tied into a 24 month contract.

Really want an iphone and I guess photos dont matter, videos however are important.
I'm seriously impressed with the video quality on the iPhone 3GS. It's better than that of the N95 without a doubt...
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Just a new iphone user here and the battery life does bug me but my son tells me you can get a battery extender which doubles as a case - says he is going to send me one for Christmas so I will let you know if it works (wish I could remember what it was called) I actually think the picture quality is heaps better than my SE C905 (of the defunct down button) which professes to be a camera phone. Having taken a 30 sec video of my granddaughter this morning and sent it to my parents all from the iphone I am beginning to think that I really like the iphone!

Biggest downside of the iphone for me is that I like to use Opera as my browser and the iphone wont support it.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Palm Treo and I love it. It's one that operates on the Palm OS, the newer ones run on Windows. Search the Treonauts website for full information on the Palm range. My Palm has a great organiser, "to do list", contacts, memos, Word/Excel/Powerpoint/PDF program, QWERTY keyboard, internet, music (though I haven't used that yet), camera, lots of other stuff, and you can buy applications. Palm was the pioneer in smartphones. You can back everything up to your PC or Mac, and transfer files to your Palm. I've even bought a wireless fold up keyboard, so that I use it like a laptop when I'm out.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Another iPhone addict here. Bought mine outright from the Apple store so I didn't end up paying twice as much for it on some locked in contract.

Agree with all the other comments about the camera - it sucks donkey cock - was very depressing coming from a Nokia N95 which took great stills. I think the video's sucky too - it's just in motion so it's not as noticeable, but it all comes from the same lame 3Megapixel CCD, so how could it be any better than the stills?

But as others have said, it's the apps that make it great. I find myself checking my email, updating Facebook, twittering and surfing the web on the iPhone in preference to my Mac. Some truly brilliant apps on there - the Google app with voice recognition so you can speak a search to it, Wunder Radio that streams internet radio stations better than any PC or Mac app I've ever seen, Tripview for my Sydney commutes, an amazing Facebook app etc etc. Oh and it makes calls too.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
Another iPhone addict here. Bought mine outright from the Apple store so I didn't end up paying twice as much for it on some locked in contract.

Agree with all the other comments about the camera - it sucks donkey cock - was very depressing coming from a Nokia N95 which took great stills. I think the video's sucky too - it's just in motion so it's not as noticeable, but it all comes from the same lame 3Megapixel CCD, so how could it be any better than the stills?

But as others have said, it's the apps that make it great. I find myself checking my email, updating Facebook, twittering and surfing the web on the iPhone in preference to my Mac. Some truly brilliant apps on there - the Google app with voice recognition so you can speak a search to it, Wunder Radio that streams internet radio stations better than any PC or Mac app I've ever seen, Tripview for my Sydney commutes, an amazing Facebook app etc etc. Oh and it makes calls too.
Ive been checking both N97 and iPhone out all evening, I can buy out of my contract for $170 to upgrade so I think I shall wait a bit and go into the shops and check out the phone.

I do like a good camera phone and N95 takes some wicked photos, I dont like having to carry a separate camera with me.

With the phone reviews there is something bad with all of them but many do complain about the photo quality and battery of the iPhone.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:53 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

The i-phone is great unless you want to call somebody. The battery life is pants and I frequently had calls dropped. I binned it and went back to a phone instead of a gadget.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.