Reload this Page >

introduction and questions

introduction and questions

Old Jan 10th 2004, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default introduction and questions

Hi everyone
I am hoping to migrate to queensland in April, with my dh, 2 sons and daughter.
we have the visa, now we just need to sell the house.
we are one of the mad couples who are uprooting their family, never having been to Australia. we know this may seem very stupid, but we just don't have the money to there on holiday. we think it is worth the expense of just going for it. if we really don't like it then we will have spent a lot of money, but we will at least have tried. i should say though that we are confident that we will like it. dh has cousins in townsville, who have been very helpful about realistic info, as have his aunt and uncle who live in the uk.
i wonder if anyone can tell me if our radios will work in oz?
if anyone has any advice they would like to share with us i would be grateful. things we may not have thought of.
i should have said our children are 4,2and 3 months old
Old Jan 10th 2004, 6:52 am
WBB

Default Re: introduction and questions

Originally posted by bazfer
Hi everyone
we are one of the mad couples who are uprooting their family, never having been to Australia. we know this may seem very stupid, but we just don't have the money to there on holiday. we think it is worth the expense of just going for it. if we really don't like it then we will have spent a lot of money, but we will at least have tried. i should say though that we are confident that we will like it. dh has cousins in townsville, who have been very helpful about realistic info, as have his aunt and uncle who live in the uk.
if anyone has any advice they would like to share with us i would be grateful. things we may not have thought of.

welcome to the forum

good luck with the house sale, they say it can be worse than getting the visa.

your radios will work fine in aussie, i bought one while there and it works fine here.

good luck.

Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: introduction and questions

Hi everyone
Your radios will work but I hope you do not mind country music and endless talkback.

I would check it out here as it is far more costly emotionally and financially if it does not work out. Go to where you think your future lies and try out some job interviews and find out what the local problems are. How long have you lived where you are and how tight is your family? What are you hoping for in Oz?

At the very least do not burn your bridges to the UK. Your kids are young and they will adapt quickly but surely you would want to check out the environment you would be bringing them up in. I would give you a 50% chance of it working. Homesickness and unemployment ruin many an immos dream.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that.
unemployment will not thankfuly be a problem. both my dh and i are nurses, both of us have been offered work already, though i hope not to work for a while at least, never if possible!
dh and i have worked and lived abroad before, though never so far away. Family over here is not especailly close. i have siblings in canada and usa. my ohter family are spread around the country, so i don't see them very often. i know that we cannot be fully prepared for the impact of being so far away, but we have given it a ot of thought.
dh's family in oz have been wonderful and are looking forward to welcoming us to their families.
what do we want from oz. well we want the opportunity to bring our children up in a culture which welcomes children which has a good outdoor/sporty life style. again i am under no illusion that it will be perfect. i know sometimes it willbe too hot to do the activites they want to do outside. i know it will rain, but on the whole they will be able to do what they like best. we are a very active family and feel tha toz wil enable us to pursue our activities more fully. we also look forward to a country wher dh and i can pursue our careers whilst still be able to afford to live! unfortunately my nursing skills can only be used in the uk if we live a city, which we cannot afford to do, nor would we wish to do. in townsville i can use my skills and still live a quieter lifestyle.unfortunately we would be unable to afford the travel expenses of a holiday to oz without selling the house.
as nurses are in such demand in oz our pr visa came through very quickly. it was easier to apply for that immediately, than to get holiday visas, selll our house find we like. then have to come back to the uk to rent, apply for pr visa sort our jobs here etc.
we have said that we will give it 2 years, if anyone is unhappy after that then we will look at coming back to the uk. if we don't try we will never know. i hope that makes sense.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 9:06 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that.
unemployment will not thankfuly be a problem. both my dh and i are nurses, both of us have been offered work already, though i hope not to work for a while at least, never if possible!
dh and i have worked and lived abroad before, though never so far away. Family over here is not especailly close. i have siblings in canada and usa. my ohter family are spread around the country, so i don't see them very often. i know that we cannot be fully prepared for the impact of being so far away, but we have given it a ot of thought.
dh's family in oz have been wonderful and are looking forward to welcoming us to their families.
what do we want from oz. well we want the opportunity to bring our children up in a culture which welcomes children which has a good outdoor/sporty life style. again i am under no illusion that it will be perfect. i know sometimes it willbe too hot to do the activites they want to do outside. i know it will rain, but on the whole they will be able to do what they like best. we are a very active family and feel tha toz wil enable us to pursue our activities more fully. we also look forward to a country wher dh and i can pursue our careers whilst still be able to afford to live! unfortunately my nursing skills can only be used in the uk if we live a city, which we cannot afford to do, nor would we wish to do. in townsville i can use my skills and still live a quieter lifestyle.unfortunately we would be unable to afford the travel expenses of a holiday to oz without selling the house.
as nurses are in such demand in oz our pr visa came through very quickly. it was easier to apply for that immediately, than to get holiday visas, selll our house find we like. then have to come back to the uk to rent, apply for pr visa sort our jobs here etc.
we have said that we will give it 2 years, if anyone is unhappy after that then we will look at coming back to the uk. if we don't try we will never know. i hope that makes sense.

hi bazfer,
just out of interest did you front load your application, and how long did it take to come through??
cheers!!

sue
Old Jan 10th 2004, 9:11 am
Excellent Member

anne wilson will become famous soon enough

Good for you.

We emigrated without having been to Oz before, and its worked out brilliantly for us.

We both said that if it doesnt work out, we could always go back to the UK and pick up where we left off.

I hope everything works out for you all. Im sure you will love it.