Introduction

Old May 20th 2016, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction

I have to say, all this talk of Accountants being in a massive over supply is a big worry for Mrs TB. She is a CPA and has lots of years experience of working for blue chips in Sydney but all the same, makes moving back a bit more nervous.
Old May 20th 2016, 7:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Another thing to think about it jobs. Accounting is on the list, however, it was flagged for removal but hasn't been. The reason it was flagged is there is an over supply of accountants in Australia
One thing the world is not short of - accountants

Anywhere
Old May 20th 2016, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Paul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice and pointers, it has given us food for thought.
Old May 20th 2016, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Well you didn't quote what you replying to, so I thought you were responding to the OP's first post.
Why do people get so frigging narky around here?
I don't see it being narky pointing out the difficulty in obtaining accountant employment. Nor in the blind belief that official government criteria with regards to employment 'shortages' not being quite as it may well appear.

The original post did state did state accountancy I believe and as spouse will likely encounter issues of recognition in their profession, very valid to point out potential difficulties without adverse comments, one would have thought.
Old May 20th 2016, 9:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I don't see it being narky pointing out the difficulty in obtaining accountant employment. Nor in the blind belief that official government criteria with regards to employment 'shortages' not being quite as it may well appear.

The original post did state did state accountancy I believe and as spouse will likely encounter issues of recognition in their profession, very valid to point out potential difficulties without adverse comments, one would have thought.
Oh quite right, old chap
Old May 20th 2016, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I have to say, all this talk of Accountants being in a massive over supply is a big worry for Mrs TB. She is a CPA and has lots of years experience of working for blue chips in Sydney but all the same, makes moving back a bit more nervous.
Drawing upon my past recollection of Mrs TB. She is a highly successful accountant that has already worked in senior positions in Australia. But even the best can struggle if the economic cycle is against them and she could struggle purely because of lack of options. On the other hand, Australia is also trying to encourage female leaders so this is something she could play to her advantage - gender has been a male advantage for centuries remember.

There is no comparison to the OP, who actulaly isn't even an accountant at all. Of course anyone if the UK can call themselves an accountant in theory as it is not a protected term, but qualified accountants such as myself would know that AAT is not an accountant, it is a book keeper. OP will not even get a visa right now, never mind be competition in workforce.
Old May 20th 2016, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Paul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond reputePaul2202 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Drawing upon my past recollection of Mrs TB. She is a highly successful accountant that has already worked in senior positions in Australia. But even the best can struggle if the economic cycle is against them and she could struggle purely because of lack of options. On the other hand, Australia is also trying to encourage female leaders so this is something she could play to her advantage - gender has been a male advantage for centuries remember.

There is no comparison to the OP, who actulaly isn't even an accountant at all. Of course anyone if the UK can call themselves an accountant in theory as it is not a protected term, but qualified accountants such as myself would know that AAT is not an accountant, it is a book keeper. OP will not even get a visa right now, never mind be competition in workforce.
Bermudashorts, I come on this site to get some initial advice regarding moving to Austrailia, with regards to visas etc, and everyone has been more than helpful. I have not come on to the site to be questioned about what I am or not.

I may not be a fully qualified accountant, on paper, but I am certainly more than a book keeper, as my 20 years of doing the job stand me in good stead.

So once again thank you for advice given, but please don't question what some one is when you don't even know them.
Old May 20th 2016, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BS, I appreciate that Mrs TB has had some successesful roles and has an amazing work ethic. She did her degree and and CPA whilst working full time because she said there was no point in being qualified without experience. She also chose a university that had a reputation for being hard ( nutter!), she's not like me, I'm 'Mr 51%'

She's not held any really senior positions but has been a major contributor and direct report to some senior global and regional CFOs and has had very 'visible' roles She used to want to be a CFO but now she just wants to work hard and be a Mum.

One of the reasons Oz appeals ( or did) was that there seemed to be a lot more opportunities for part time fully qualified accountants in Oz compared to UK, which would suit her down to the ground now. But of course, things change so rapidly in this climate.
Old May 20th 2016, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paul2202
Bermudashorts, I come on this site to get some initial advice regarding moving to Austrailia, with regards to visas etc, and everyone has been more than helpful. I have not come on to the site to be questioned about what I am or not.

I may not be a fully qualified accountant, on paper, but I am certainly more than a book keeper, as my 20 years of doing the job stand me in good stead.

So once again thank you for advice given, but please don't question what some one is when you don't even know them.
I wish you well but I don't think BS is at fault here. You said you were an Accountant but you're not a qualified Accountant. I appreciate what you are saying but this is Immigration we are talking about, where unfortunately, what you do in a practical sense, usually needs to be backed up by qualifications.
Old May 20th 2016, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I wish you well but I don't think BS is at fault here. You said you were an Accountant but you're not a qualified Accountant. I appreciate what you are saying but this is Immigration we are talking about, where unfortunately, what you do in a practical sense, usually needs to be backed up by qualifications.
And that I understand, and if he worded it like you just have, that would have been fine.
Old May 20th 2016, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have very carefully explained your situation earlier in the thread, but it didn't seem to sink in. You seemed to think it was something you needed to "look into" rather than acknowledge it being the absolute show stopper that it is. So I tried a blunter approach, I am sorry that truth hurts sometimes.

You are not an accountant. You might get away with calling yourself that in UK, but you won't be able to for immigration purposes and also in the Australian workplace you would not be able to say that either, they are a bit fussier than UK about people going around calling themselves accountants when they are not.

I have no opinion on your personal attributes as I have never met you. I have met lots of very handy part qualified accountants and unqualified people working in finance teams and I do not believe that passing three years of degree level exams necessarily makes somebody better in the workplace. But it won't get you a visa and I also believe you will have trouble securing work inAustralia as they do like their bits of paper.
Old May 20th 2016, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

I have very carefully explained your situation earlier in the thread, but it didn't seem to sink in. You seemed to think it was something you needed to "look into" rather than acknowledge it being the absolute show stopper that it is. So I tried a blunter approach, I am sorry that truth hurts sometimes.

You are not an accountant. You might get away with calling yourself that in UK, but you won't be able to for immigration purposes and also in the Australian workplace you would not be able to say that either, they are a bit fussier than UK about people going around calling themselves accountants when they are not.

I have no opinion on your personal attributes as I have never met you. I have met lots of very handy part qualified accountants and unqualified people working in finance teams and I do not believe that passing three years of degree level exams necessarily makes somebody better in the workplace. But it won't get you a visa and I also believe you will have trouble securing work inAustralia as they do like their bits of paper.
My actual response that it was something we had to add to our list of things to do. So your first post which was very helpful and certainly did sink in.

I have never thought that getting to Australia would be easy, hence me asking for advice.

I thank you once again for your help.
Old May 21st 2016, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway glad we're agreed that the world in the context expressed, is rather over indulged with accountants whatever shape or size.
Old May 21st 2016, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My actual response that it was something we had to add to our list of things to do. So your first post which was very helpful and certainly did sink in.

I have never thought that getting to Australia would be easy, hence me asking for advice.

I thank you once again for your help.
Good luck with it amd again I am sorry for offence. I had just travelled 24 hours back to Australia for a holiday and was quite tired when I posted and I can see I was over blunt. Although I am not known for my sensitivity anyway it must be said.

I would actually far rather the immigration processes favoured the progression of people such as yourself versus the gazillions of students that can take an accounting degree (which is not that hard as a full time course) have not a day of work experience but yet can still pass accountant skills assessment, whereas you will not. Accounting is quite unusual in this regard as most people need to prove a track record of work, but sadly not those that have passed an accoutning degree.
Old May 21st 2016, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Anyway glad we're agreed that the world in the context expressed, is rather over indulged with accountants whatever shape or size.
There are definitely too many accountants everywhere to make migration a sensible option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.