Interview query

Old May 28th 2010, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Eternal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview query

Hi,

i am into IT field and will be in Adelaide by the end of the coming month and had a query related to the interview as to what is the trend there as per the dress code for the interview is concern?

rgds

thanks

great forum
Old May 28th 2010, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview query

Put a suit on, regardless of the normal office dress code, I would wear a suit for interview.
Old May 28th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eternal
Hi,

i am into IT field and will be in Adelaide by the end of the coming month and had a query related to the interview as to what is the trend there as per the dress code for the interview is concern?

rgds

thanks

great forum
Shower, sh|t, shave and wear a suit.

Cheers

Steve
Old May 29th 2010, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

rgds
Old May 29th 2010, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Eternal
Hi,

Thanks for the reply

rgds
I recently had an interview with 2 IT guys. They were in jeans and t-shirts, I had a suit on. They told me I was a bit overdressed (more to break the ice I guess) but wouldn't expect anything else. Oh yes - I got the job !
Old May 29th 2010, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi Carlap,

thanks for the reply and congrats for the job.

rgds
Old May 29th 2010, 11:35 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future

Definitely, definitely a suit..... you can go more casual if and when you land the job.
Old May 31st 2010, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

palpal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genevieve
Definitely, definitely a suit..... you can go more casual if and when you land the job.
Hi,
I will have a second interview. What is the probability to get the job? So far, my interview went well and they seem have interest on me. They've asked when I can join, ask my expected salary, and talk about the team that I will join.

Do Australian employers do a lot of interview for one post or do they just interview one and stop interviewing others if they've found a suitable one?

Appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
Old May 31st 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask are you a permanent resident or citizen? if not its a bit of a waste of time to just arrive and try and get a job. Without the visa you wont find employment. Also can I ask is english your first language?
Old May 31st 2010, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by palpal
Hi,
I will have a second interview. What is the probability to get the job? So far, my interview went well and they seem have interest on me. They've asked when I can join, ask my expected salary, and talk about the team that I will join.

Do Australian employers do a lot of interview for one post or do they just interview one and stop interviewing others if they've found a suitable one?

Appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
They will most probably interview a few candidates for a role. Unless there are simply no other applicants out there, but I doubt that this would be the case in IT.
Old May 31st 2010, 11:01 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Generally a few candidates will be interviewed (3 or 4) with the preferred candidate then being offered a 2nd interview.

If you have a 2nd interview you pretty much have the job in the bag.

(Of course there are always exceptions - and I did once get rejected following a 2nd interview.. never found out why exactly...)
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Generally a few candidates will be interviewed (3 or 4) with the preferred candidate then being offered a 2nd interview.

If you have a 2nd interview you pretty much have the job in the bag.

(Of course there are always exceptions - and I did once get rejected following a 2nd interview.. never found out why exactly...)
This is kind of my experience. I think if everything happens quickly you are the most likely. For me, from application, reject email (yes I got this first), interview, second telephone interview, offer all happened within a week. The things they were saying at the first interview made me feel very condifent that I had it.

About a year ago I had my only other interview. Again went well, but after a week or so I asked when a decision might be made and was told in a few days. A couple of weeks later I was rejected. I think the main candidate(s) get a quick second interview and a few others kept on hold in case the first one falls through.

However, I would be careful going to the second interview thinking its yours. This may not be the case and you could blow it with the wrong attitutde. Just assume you are maybe in the top three and with some effort it could be yours. I went off and spent some extra time rearching more about the company which I made an effort to speak about in the interview.

A few nerves can be a good thing, rather than an over confident attitude.

Last edited by carlap; Jun 1st 2010 at 7:07 am.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by palpal
Hi,
What is the probability to get the job?
Sorry but how is anyone on here going to be able to tell you that? In some cases you may have got the job, in some you won't. It's like asking how long a piece of string is!

Good luck with the second interview.