Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in SE Qld or Nth NSW

Where to live in SE Qld or Nth NSW

Old May 15th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all
Default Where to live in SE Qld or Nth NSW

Hi Guys,

So I have done a few searches on this topic but nothing that comes up really suits exactly what I am after so I thought I might join and ask you all.

I live in Sydney and am an Australian citizen (born and raised) so there are no Visa issues to contend with but we are looking at making a sea change to the North NSW area or South East Queensland.

The most contact I have with this area is holidays from years ago as well as recent holidays around Byron Bay.

So as for background, we are a young couple in our 20's with no kids and as far as jobs are concerned my partner has an online business and I am a business student though i will need just a basic café job or something until I get my degree with the hopes of starting a business on completion. So basically we only need a general job market locally but commute to Brisbane or a major centre is ideal. Also my parents are looking at retiring and moving close by to us in the same area but as cashed up Sydney retiree's.

We need to be on acres because I have horses but also within about 40mins to the coast and beaches. We want to build also, so if we could possibly get a minimum of 5 vacant, cleared and flood free acres for less that $350k then that would be awesome.

We aren't big on the partying scene prefering to just have parties at our house and dinners with friends but that being said we don't want to be out in the sticks or surrounded only by bogans. I really really don't want to be living in the bogan centre of Australia or something.

We just want a nice relaxing lifestyle in a place that is a little bohemian and has a good music scene; don't suggest Nimbin. My ideal place would be around Bangalow in Nth NSW but that is insanely expensive at the moment so I was wondering if there were any other places that are just as nice at a fraction of the cost. Preferably we don't want to go north of the sunshine coast or too far inland but where would you suggest for all the people familiar with this area.

It has to be flood and fire free, have a lot of water etc.

If you got through all that you are a champion.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:58 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in SE Qld or Nth NSW

all execpt the price says gold coast hinterland
http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/siz...ce=refinements
but at sub $350k for 5 acres your going to have to be pretty remote to forfill that one
Old May 15th 2010, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Is 95 acres at $350,000 too much land

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...Sort=price-asc
Old May 15th 2010, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Mary River region out the back of the Sunshine Coast?

After the govt resumed all the land for the Mary River dam it was cancelled by Peter Garrett. Most of the land has not been bought back from the govt by the original owners.

Might be some good opportunities coming up there soon.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

North NSW

Uki
12 Acre, 3 bed home with 2 bed sleep out, 40 mins to goldcoast, airport, Byron. 30 mins to cabarita beach. 15 mins to town........$499 000
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...-uki-106119007

Nunderi
4 acre, 4 bed, pool 15 mins to Cabarita beach $565, 000
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...deri-105816933

Blue Knob
75 acre, 2x2 bed houses on site (add 15 mins to Uki travel times) $599, 000
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...e+knob-7268620
2 acre plots in this area are going for $135, 000

Dunoon (not far from Bangalow)
Land 18 acre $390, 000
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...dunoon-2732961

Murwillumbah
6 acre, 2 bed home
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...Sort=price-asc

For cheaper land you need to be looking closer to Lismore or down the coast near grafton
and dont dismiss Nimbin, well yeah forget Nimbin but there are some lovely surounding villages like the Channon, Dunoon, Sphinx rock and Blue Knob
Old May 16th 2010, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all

Thanks guys, Some great ideas so far. I am going to have a bit more of a look in these areas suggested.
Old May 16th 2010, 6:40 am
ABCDiamond

How about 3 Acres in Cornubia 25 minutes drive to the Gold Coast, $395,000, but no house on it.

Old May 16th 2010, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How about 3 Acres in Cornubia 25 minutes drive to the Gold Coast, $395,000, but no house on it.
That's a good one...they didn't want a house on the land and Cornubia would seem to fit most criteria really well.

Edit: I just re-read it and may fail this one: "that is a little bohemian and has a good music scene"....but it has far better access to Brisbane than most others.

Last edited by fish.01; May 16th 2010 at 11:25 am.
Old May 16th 2010, 11:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fish.01
That's a good one...they didn't want a house on the land and Cornubia would seem to fit most criteria really well.

Edit: I just re-read it and may fail this one: "that is a little bohemian and has a good music scene"....but it has far better access to Brisbane than most others.
Must be the wrong Cornubia No music scene in this one

I am not sure that "bohemian" describes it, but could be wrong, although it is only 18km away from me, on the run down to the Gold Coast.

Old May 16th 2010, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

As long as it is not over run by bogans we can deal with less quaint/bohemian style places. I was meaning bohemian in the same way as Byron Bay and Bangalow, I know there are many many arguments against it actually being this way but at least the people that live there 'think' they are bohemian and there is a pretty good music scene around those areas.
Unfortunately we can't afford the Byron Acreage price tag.
Old May 16th 2010, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sea Of Love
As long as it is not over run by bogans we can deal with less quaint/bohemian style places. I was meaning bohemian in the same way as Byron Bay and Bangalow, I know there are many many arguments against it actually being this way but at least the people that live there 'think' they are bohemian and there is a pretty good music scene around those areas.
Unfortunately we can't afford the Byron Acreage price tag.
I wouldn't say it is bogan free area as it is on the outskirts of Brisbane but lots of non bogans as well
Old May 16th 2010, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Must be the wrong Cornubia No music scene in this one

I am not sure that "bohemian" describes it, but could be wrong, although it is only 18km away from me, on the run down to the Gold Coast.
No, definitely not bohemian, after all Aldo lived near there
Old May 17th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Cornubia is in logan is it not....

Bohemian hmmm, not exactly got the feel of Northern NSW has it.

It has a certain 'feral acreage' feel i reckon if that's what the OP is looking for
Old May 17th 2010, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sammyg
Cornubia is in logan is it not....

Bohemian hmmm, not exactly got the feel of Northern NSW has it.

It has a certain 'feral acreage' feel i reckon if that's what the OP is looking for
bit harsh...some lovely parts I hear, can't tar every part of logan with the same brush
Old May 17th 2010, 10:42 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
bit harsh...some lovely parts I hear, can't tar every part of logan with the same brush
not unless its a really big brush

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.