Reload this Page >

Interview in Melbourne

Interview in Melbourne

Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

debtay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview in Melbourne

Hi there.

Hubs has just been asked to come for an interview for a job in Melbourne.

We're all living in Auckland for the moment so me and the kids would like to fly over with him and have a look around the place, see if we like it, what there is to do etc.

Can anyone recommend any good hotels, things to do, places to see etc. whilst we're there? Plan to spend 3-4 days, maybe more.

If he's successful I would love to hear from anyone who has made the move from NZ to Australia, tell of your experiences with visas, shipping, schools, buying houses etc. Am I right in believing that you can't buy a house there if you're only on a work visa and that you have to pay full school fees?

Sorry for all the questions
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:40 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview in Melbourne

Sue Vitnell's site is worth a look for starters:
http://www.newcomersnetwork.com/mel/home/index.php

Best regards.

Originally Posted by debtay
Hi there.

We're all living in Auckland for the moment so me and the kids would like to fly over with him and have a look around the place, see if we like it, what there is to do etc.

Can anyone recommend any good hotels, things to do, places to see etc. whilst we're there? Plan to spend 3-4 days, maybe more.

If he's successful I would love to hear from anyone who has made the move from NZ to Australia, tell of your experiences with visas, shipping, schools, buying houses etc. Am I right in believing that you can't buy a house there if you're only on a work visa and that you have to pay full school fees?

Old Nov 30th 2004, 2:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What's your current status in New Zealand? Citizens, permanent residents or temporary residents?

It's better to get sponsored for permanent residence over a temporary visa. As far as I know temp visa holders in Vic do not have to pay school fees to send the children to government schools (they do in NSW).

There are a range of other problems with the work visa, read the thread entitled '457 Visa Restrictions' at the top of the forum to know what you're getting yourselves into.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

If you are NZ permanent residents, be very careful if leaving NZ to come to Australia on a temporary visa. Unless you have indefinite RRVs you could end up having to return to the UK if the job did not work out. And even if you did have indefinite RRVs, if you end up having to go back to NZ you could face having to re-start the citizenship clock from scratch (with a possible 5 year wait) if you break your continuity of residence.

Others before you have got themselves into a complete mess by leaving NZ without citizenship to come and work in Australia on a temporary visa.

NZ permanent residence gives you no rights in Australia.

If the employer is willing to do a permanent visa sponsorship immediately it's different, however you are safer to wait until the permanent visa is approved before leaving NZ. A lot of people come to Australia on a work visa with verbal promises of sponsorship for PR only to discover after arriving that it's not 'company policy.'

If you've got NZ citizenship things are much easier, no need for a work visa and provided you're well skilled and aged less than 45, sorting out permanent residence ought not to be too difficult (either points tested or employer nominated).

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 30th 2004 at 2:49 am.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the detailed reply Jeremy. We are on Work to Residence Visas here in NZ so we accept that if we left to work in Australia we would be unable to return (unless we applied for PR before we left!)

Early days yet, the company he's looking to work for is a UK one, with offices in Australia. If a job offer is forthcoming will ask about PR sponsorship. We have over 120 points (with sponsorship from a rapidly aging aunt) so could fall back on applying in the normal way if we had to.

Good to hear all the pitfalls that can happen though. Makes you realise how simple the NZ system is.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:22 am
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at www.bcl.com.au/melbourne for acommodation in all price ranges .You can save by booking on line .

Steve

Hi there.

Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Early days yet, the company he's looking to work for is a UK one, with offices in Australia. If a job offer is forthcoming will ask about PR sponsorship. We have over 120 points (with sponsorship from a rapidly aging aunt) so could fall back on applying in the normal way if we had to.
Also visit http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au to see if you qualify for STNI.

Jeremy
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys, will have a look now.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hotel Club is quite good and you can sort by location, etc. We've stayed at Medina Grand Melbourne (serviced apartment that has everything a hotel offers) a few times - it's very good and centrally located in the CBD.

Good luck,
Mrs JTL