Internet in Oz

Old Feb 19th 2005, 4:52 pm
joveazey

Default Internet in Oz

Another dumb question from me - when we get to Perth can we just get a disk for Internet as in UK (ie. Freeserve etc.) Never had to install before as always been on a network at the office and when I work from home I dial up our server at work. Feel a bit of a dunce not knowing about home computing !

JO

Old Feb 19th 2005, 5:12 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Internet in Oz

www.optusnet.com.au for example....
Old Feb 19th 2005, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

BillyGoatGruff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joveazey
Another dumb question from me - when we get to Perth can we just get a disk for Internet as in UK (ie. Freeserve etc.) Never had to install before as always been on a network at the office and when I work from home I dial up our server at work. Feel a bit of a dunce not knowing about home computing !

JO
there's no "free" internet providers in oz, so you'll have to sign up with someone (for dial up dodo seems a good, cheap choice).

The reason there is no free 'net is because the local call model is different. In the UK you pay for your local call per minute and then freeserve (or whoever) get money back from BT from the cost of the of the 0845 call. In oz you pay for the call connection (about 18c), and then you can stay online for as long as you want.

Jon
Old Feb 19th 2005, 11:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I signed up with Hypermax dial-up: costs $9.95 a month plus 10c per MB capped at total $19.95 pm. There are all sorts of schemes out there at about the same price, but I have found HM to be very efficient, almost no dropouts (about 3 in 4 months) and about three times faster than dial-up in the UK.

You have to add the 20c per local call, of course but you can stay online 3 hrs at a time with HM before having to redial.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 11:24 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

So what`s the cost of adsl in Perth? What`s the best deal?

I have uncapped adsl here for £24 pm.

The great thing about adsl is that it doesn`t tie up your phone line as well. I`d hate to go back to dial-up if at all possible.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stormz
So what`s the cost of adsl in Perth? What`s the best deal?

I have uncapped adsl here for £24 pm.

The great thing about adsl is that it doesn`t tie up your phone line as well. I`d hate to go back to dial-up if at all possible.
There is no uncapped here!
I am on "unlimited" cable and that is limited to 10Gb per month, after which the speed is knocked down to 56Kbps! (modem speeds)
I do get around 900Kbs down and around 128Kbps in normal use.

Price through Telstra is $59.95 pm, so about £24, ADSL plans are similar prices.

All intercontinental IP seems to be routed out through the USA I have noticed (via Sydney) so UK sites are a bit slower to access from here.

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2005, 5:26 am
ABCDiamond

Try aanet for ADSL
Since February 1st aaNet is now available in Western Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory as well as Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
A current special is 1512/256k with 8Gb downloads for $45 per month.
Extra Gb at $3 each
http://www.aanet.com.au/plans.html
I've just switched over to this one from Telstra 256k ($59.95)

aanet's 256/56k unlimited plan is also $45 per month

Old Feb 20th 2005, 5:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Try aanet for ADSL

A current special is 1512/256k with 8Gb downloads for $45 per month.
Extra Gb at $3 each
http://www.aanet.com.au/plans.html
I've just switched over to this one from Telstra 256k ($59.95)

aanet's 256/56k unlimited plan is also $45 per month
Yep I am on that 1500sp plan.

iinet and iprimus offer faster plans if you are one of the few within reach of an exchange with their DSLAM inside.

www.whirpool.net.au gives a big picture on the net.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:34 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Stormz]So what`s the cost of adsl in Perth? What`s the best deal?
QUOTE]

Best deal you'll find is..... http://www.tpg.com.au/

Have the 1.5/256 and it works like a dream for AUD 40 per month cheaper than anyone else !

They also do a phone deal on it too.