Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance question

Insurance question

Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Insurance question

I am at this very moment trying to do an inventory of everything coming with us, a mammoth task. I am presuming the removers will also do some sort of inventory although how detailed this will be I don't know, does anyone know?

I have been told by the removers that we need to send in the insurance forms beforehand however, to be approved. Looking at my list I don't think we can afford to insure everything and was only going to itemise things we would have to replace, or anything of high value. Will this be okay?

Anyone got any tips on insurance?? Has anyone had to claim? Has anyone risked it and not insured at all?

Thanks

Loopy
Old Mar 12th 2003, 11:41 am
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in exactly the same position, any advice anyone??

Sarah
Old Mar 12th 2003, 2:11 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by FOX
We are in exactly the same position, any advice anyone??

Sarah

Had the man from the movers in this morning. He spoke about insurance and said that the sensible way (in his mind) was to mention everything but not to price the unimportant things or those that you would not want or be able to replace (sentimental) but to be sure to correctly price those items you would replace and to be sure that you itemise the higher priced ones in a box

i.e. Box of 10 crystal and cut glass decanters
4 @ £????
2 @ £..????
3 @ £.....??
1 @ £????

That way they would not say (one decanter broken) and give you a 10th of the value of the whole box (it may be the best one broken)

He said obviously you would not bother to itemise books and photograph albums and etc unless they were good reference books which you would want to replace

When he said it is seemed to make sense - hope I explained OK

:scared:
Old Mar 12th 2003, 2:14 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Loopy,

We ran out of time and so had to fill our insurance forms in today, after talking to the removals company, pickfords in this case, we decided to only insure what we would have to/want to replace immediately, and things that are highly likely to get damaged.

This has cut down the cost considerably, my husband has convinced me that the likelihood of it all going missing is very small!!

Oh well gives me something else to worry about for the next few months!! Now I don't have to worry about not getting the visa, or what rate we should wait for to change or money (went for it today at 2.705) I was feeling far to calm!

Sarah
Old Mar 12th 2003, 2:16 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by FOX
Hi Loopy,

We ran out of time and so had to fill our insurance forms in today, after talking to the removals company, pickfords in this case, we decided to only insure what we would have to/want to replace immediately, and things that are highly likely to get damaged.

This has cut down the cost considerably, my husband has convinced me that the likelihood of it all going missing is very small!!

Oh well gives me something else to worry about for the next few months!! Now I don't have to worry about not getting the visa, or what rate we should wait for to change or money (went for it today at 2.705) I was feeling far to calm!

Sarah

The 11th comandment for would be migrants:

Don't worry about anything you can't change so put your feet up.