Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance on a new build

Insurance on a new build

Old Sep 5th 2006, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance on a new build

Hi Guys.

Just have to let out my frustation, so thought this was as good a place as any!

We’re supposed to be moving into our new house on Friday. My other half visited the site this morning to discover that some B********** has stolen our $3,500 Smeg cooker. Can’t believe it. At the outset we were led to believe that any owner supplied items, once they were a fixture to the house, that the builders insurance would cover it. It was drummed into us at the beginning, not to have anything delivered on site unless it was going to be installed that day. So now the Builders are saying that their insurance does not cover owner supplied items. Well, why the hell didn’t they tell us. Sorry, I’m just so angry at the moment. They told us to phone the Master Builder’s Association to seek advice, but basically they don’t’ want to know. Apart from reporting it to Police theres very little we can do.

Has anyone else had a similar experience.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 5:04 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Insurance on a new build

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi Guys.

We’re supposed to be moving into our new house on Friday. My other half visited the site this morning to discover that some B********** has stolen our $3,500 Smeg cooker. Can’t believe it. At the outset we were led to believe that any owner supplied items, once they were a fixture to the house, that the builders insurance would cover it. It was drummed into us at the beginning, not to have anything delivered on site unless it was going to be installed that day. So now the Builders are saying that their insurance does not cover owner supplied items. Well, why the hell didn’t they tell us. Sorry, I’m just so angry at the moment. They told us to phone the Master Builder’s Association to seek advice, but basically they don’t’ want to know. Apart from reporting it to Police theres very little we can do.

Did the burglars force their way into the house?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Did the burglars force their way into the house?

From what we can see there is no evidence of forced entry, which makes me wonder whether it could possibly be someone who had access to the premises.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 5:13 am

From what we can see there is no evidence of forced entry, which makes me wonder whether it could possibly be someone who had access to the premises.
If there is no sign of forced entry then surely its the builders fault for not making sure that the building was secure........or its one of the peeps workin on it thats got sticky fingers............what do the police say?

Our builder used to leave the bloody key in the leckie box until I found out....well all do it mate he says....no to my ****in hoose ye dont I said. I went round everynight to check he hadnt put it back...the tradies just had to come to my house and get a key if they wanted in
Old Sep 5th 2006, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys.

Yes, stuff stolen from building sites is a well organised industry. Everthing from tiles to white goods, to bricks and framing materials, even after installed houseloads, even carpets get rolled up and stolen in the night. Hence the security fences you see around many sites now.

Police probably wont give a toss, last time we had stuff stolen police said its not their business, thats up to us to get a security firm, and drove off Sorry cant be more helpful but you would be one of thousands robbed every year, hopefully others will be aware now.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys.

Isn't there some kind of completion certificate which you sign once you are satisfied and thereby take ownership?

So if there's no cooker, then your house isn't complete.

PG
Old Sep 5th 2006, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
Isn't there some kind of completion certificate which you sign once you are satisfied and thereby take ownership?

So if there's no cooker, then your house isn't complete.

PG
The cooker was not part of the contract. It was an owner supplied item.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

oops sorry

Hope the thieves get their comeupance.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:51 pm

The house was obviously passed the lock up stage so the builder should make sure that it is secure....as there was no sign of forced entry then surely its the builders fault.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by biggy
The house was obviously passed the lock up stage so the builder should make sure that it is secure....as there was no sign of forced entry then surely its the builders fault.
Yes, and I think the builders have realised this as they have relented and decided to cover us for the replacement cost. We just had to get the original invoice made out to them so that they could put it through their insurance.

Thanks guys for all your comments.