Reload this Page >

Initial expenses on arrival

Initial expenses on arrival

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough
Default Initial expenses on arrival

Hi,

I'm trying to compile a list of initial expenses that we will incur on arrival. i.e. Drivers license (x 2), bond for rental, rental car, SIM card for phone (x 2), initial food shop, etc. This will help me decide how much cash & travellers cheques to take with me.

Any ideas what else?

Adrian
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:59 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial expenses on arrival

I saw this post and thought, 'oh, I remember Hevs and I chatted about this in a thread not so long back ... I'll point him in the direction of that'. Wish I'd not bloody bothered! Took ages to find, but I'm a stubborn type that doesn't give up easily ... The thread's at:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=brush

GG

Originally Posted by alrobson
Hi,

I'm trying to compile a list of initial expenses that we will incur on arrival. i.e. Drivers license (x 2), bond for rental, rental car, SIM card for phone (x 2), initial food shop, etc. This will help me decide how much cash & travellers cheques to take with me.

Any ideas what else?

Adrian
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alrobson
Hi,

Any ideas what else?

Adrian

I used my UK card (Nationwide) to get money out of Aussie cash machines. This was a really convenient way of dealing with the uncertain money situation at first. I know this isn't possible with all banks so you'd have to check yours.
I'm keeping this account open for convenience when we visit the UK or need a UK credit card for purchases on the web.

also remember money for sun block, large hat and mossie cream!

Good luck Ali
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do the driving tests straightaway, you can drive on your UK ones for three months I think, check anyway. Gives you a bit more time to become familiar with the Aussie roads and roadsigns, you'll be more likely to pass then too!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:31 pm
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jacqui
Don't do the driving tests straightaway, you can drive on your UK ones for three months I think, check anyway. Gives you a bit more time to become familiar with the Aussie roads and roadsigns, you'll be more likely to pass then too!
You dont need to take a test anymore i have just changed mine over to a WA one all i had to do is a eye test and if you are not sure if you are staying in the same house for more than a year only get one for a year
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Homer
You dont need to take a test anymore
That depends on what State the OP is going to be in. Some of us still have to do the theory test