Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on suburbs in victoria

Info on suburbs in victoria

Old May 17th 2006, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future
Default Info on suburbs in victoria

We have 2 children ages 2 & 3 and wonder if anyone can tell me what the best suburb out of these would be to bring them up.Frankston, Carrum Downs, Seaford, Berwick, Cranbourne.

Any information would help.

Thanks Sharon
Old May 17th 2006, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Info on suburbs in victoria

Hi

Well taste is a very individual thing. Berwick certainly looks to prettiest in a new build kind of way.

Frankston and Cranbourne do not exactly have good reputations - though given that Frankston real estate prices are cheap combined with the fact that it is a beachside suburb with a reasonable train link, a very good public sector school and a soon-to-be-completed Eastern Freeway it is the real estate agents tip for the place to buy - if that is the kind of thing you find important, and the kind of thing you believe.

Seaford and Carrum. Again, not considered glamourous.

But then again, local snobberies are odd things. However badly locals talk of them, none of them are remotely as bad as some of those not-so-good UK inner city suburbs we all know of.

If you can afford Berwick, why not look at Frankston South?

Neil
Old May 17th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future

Thanks Neil will look at Frankston South.

Regards

Sharon
Old May 17th 2006, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Also a shooting right outside Carrum Downs primary school yesterday !!!

I'd go with Frankston South personally, which is held in a very different esteem from Frankston itself. Berwick is lovely, but a little too far from the coast for me. Frankston South, you can see the city from there across the bay from Olivers Hill. Superb feeling.

I am going to try to attach some photos from Olivers Hill
Attached Thumbnails Info on suburbs in victoria-s4200018.jpg  
Old May 17th 2006, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzy

I'd go with Frankston South personally, which is held in a very different esteem from Frankston itself. Berwick is lovely, but a little too far from the coast for me. Frankston South, you can see the city from there across the bay from Olivers Hill. Superb feeling.

what's so nice about Berwick? Just wondering as I've never been there.
Old May 17th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by r1c1
We have 2 children ages 2 & 3 and wonder if anyone can tell me what the best suburb out of these would be to bring them up.Frankston, Carrum Downs, Seaford, Berwick, Cranbourne.

Thanks Sharon
Hi,my sister lives in Frankston south near mount eliza I think its called!.It seems a good area,thats where we hope to buy when we get there!Would also like to stay in Mornington but a bit more expensive I think,cheers Dave
Old May 17th 2006, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Frankston photos:

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/frankston/photos/

Carrum and Seaford have the advantage of not being so far out as the rest (if inner city and CBD access is important) but a big difference in property prices close to the beach and the other side of the Frankston railway line and Nepean Hwy. Frankston Sth is a good suggestion and parts of Frankston are fine too - excellent shopping, schools and beach plus the other things mentioned.

OzTennis
Old May 17th 2006, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all replys.

Gives me a lot to think about. Loved the pictures of Frankston.
Old May 17th 2006, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

minimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura about

Nice piccy - any good for snorkelling round there?
Old May 18th 2006, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Abject_Rage will become famous soon enoughAbject_Rage will become famous soon enough

Thanks Sharon

FYI, we've just bought a house in Seaford, right at the top near Carrum station, and it's fantastic. I wouldn't worry too much about reputations of certain spots - in my experience so far, albeit limited, we've stayed in Frankston, Chelsea and Seaford, and we've found them all fine. In fact, in my opinion, Chelsea, considered 'posher' than the other 2 suburbs I mentioned, was the worst for us, in terms of seeming more run down, more hobos, etc.

We have 3 kids and the house is the other side of the beach/ Nepean Hwy, but only a few minutes' walk to get to the beach. You hear the trains, but I like them, and the road is definitely far quieter than if you've paid premium prices for something on or just off the Nepean, which is busy just about all times of the day.

I've lived in Chapeltown (very 'interesting' part of Leeds), gangster-land East End (Bethnal Green) and a few rough areas in Sydney, San Francisco and London and so pretty much everywhere in Bayside Melbourne seems like paradise.
Old May 18th 2006, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Not sure, but there are certainly good fish to be caught. My hubby caught 20 on a boat trip the other day, including 5 sharks.

A good place for snorkelling is Ricketts Point, which is about 30 minutes closer to the city along the coast. There is actually a marine national park there. Shallow and lots of rocks so I'm sure it would be good there.
Old May 18th 2006, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

minimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura about

Not sure, but there are certainly good fish to be caught. My hubby caught 20 on a boat trip the other day, including 5 sharks.

A good place for snorkelling is Ricketts Point, which is about 30 minutes closer to the city along the coast. There is actually a marine national park there. Shallow and lots of rocks so I'm sure it would be good there.
just looked it up on google - looks well worth a visit.
Old May 18th 2006, 9:15 pm
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

Thanks Sharon
i would choose berwick ,frankston has a bad reputation ,dont know much about the other areas.

Last edited by Des; May 18th 2006 at 9:19 pm.