Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info On Job Hunting Whilst On Holiday!

Info On Job Hunting Whilst On Holiday!

Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

aliciaoggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Info On Job Hunting Whilst On Holiday!

Hi i am quite new to this site so please be gentle. My husband ,3 year old daughter and i are flying out to sydney for 3 weeks in march to visit my brother in law. We were going to apply for visa until they closed pathway d, do you think it is worth my husband looking for jobs while we are there in the hope that somebody would sponsor him to work? He works for virgin media as a telephone engineer. Does anybody know if this type of work is in demand.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Info On Job Hunting Whilst On Holiday!

Anybody!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:30 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE.

Its a great idea to talk to employers and find out ablout jobs on offer but will he need to pass a skills assessment before he is sponsored.

Have you spoke to an agent regarding sponsorship terms many offer free info initially.

I know of those that have got sponsors this way so hope it works for you
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Yes we have spoken to an agent the only way to get visa at the moment is to study, as my husband has no qualifications to go with his job or get an employer to sponsor him.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliciaoggy
Hi i am quite new to this site so please be gentle. My husband ,3 year old daughter and i are flying out to sydney for 3 weeks in march to visit my brother in law. We were going to apply for visa until they closed pathway d, do you think it is worth my husband looking for jobs while we are there in the hope that somebody would sponsor him to work? He works for virgin media as a telephone engineer. Does anybody know if this type of work is in demand.
Hi there,

Sites like Seek will give your husband an idea what kind of skills are in demand at the moment. He'd be better off talking to companies directly, so if he can find someone on here who works for someone like Telstra, Optus, AAPT, Commander, Internode, etcetera, that would probably help. Failing that, knock on their doors when he's in the area.

There are some threads on here already about what Australian resumes look like, so be sure that he reads these before presenting his English CV to potential employers / sponsors.

Hope this helps;

--paj
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help folks. Is there anybody out there that works for any of the telco companies that could give us any info on work availability, pay .And if anybody has been sponsored to work in oz by any of these companies it would be great to hear from you.Thanks again.