Info on Buderim area

Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Mac23 will become famous soon enough
Default Info on Buderim area

Hi All,
First post!
A bit of background..
My husband, myself and our two kids: 4 and 1, are currently looking into buying a property in the Buderim area (been there on holiday and loved it!)
I am a Physiotherapist and my hubbie works in IT. He is an Aussie and I am from the UK but we've all lived in Sydney for the last 9 years and now want a bit more peace and quiet! We love the beach and countryside so believe that the Buderim area has a bit of both! I was born in England- Manchester, but spent the majority of my youth in Scotland (in-land from Aberdeen) so miss the freedom of not living in a City! Sydney has been great but now the kids are getting older I want them to have more freedom!
Anyway, back to my questions!
There is nothing like getting inside info from people that actually live in an area, so that is why I am here!
I have a few questions so any advice would be GREATLY received!
1) The primary school in Buderim - any good? I've found lots of info on the High Schools in the area, but not so much on the primary schools. It does appear that the Mountain Creek high school is the best high school but I much prefer the houses around Buderim, and I believe this is not in the catchment for MCSS?
2) Are there any areas/streets in Buderim we should steer clear of....with all the rain and landslides recently, how has this affected some areas of Buderim?
3) This is the really sad question, but I am sure everyone moving to a new area thinks this, but is it a friendly area to make friends? I am assuming with having young kids we will meet families in the same situation?

We are coming up next week to look at a few properties and our plan is to rent it out if we get somewhere soon. Then , when we get good job offers up there, we will move up...be it very soon, or in a year or so. It would be great, in particular to know about the better areas to look from those in the know
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on Buderim area

Originally Posted by Mac23
Hi All,
First post!
A bit of background..
My husband, myself and our two kids: 4 and 1, are currently looking into buying a property in the Buderim area (been there on holiday and loved it!)
I am a Physiotherapist and my hubbie works in IT. He is an Aussie and I am from the UK but we've all lived in Sydney for the last 9 years and now want a bit more peace and quiet! We love the beach and countryside so believe that the Buderim area has a bit of both! I was born in England- Manchester, but spent the majority of my youth in Scotland (in-land from Aberdeen) so miss the freedom of not living in a City! Sydney has been great but now the kids are getting older I want them to have more freedom!
Anyway, back to my questions!
There is nothing like getting inside info from people that actually live in an area, so that is why I am here!
I have a few questions so any advice would be GREATLY received!
1) The primary school in Buderim - any good? I've found lots of info on the High Schools in the area, but not so much on the primary schools. It does appear that the Mountain Creek high school is the best high school but I much prefer the houses around Buderim, and I believe this is not in the catchment for MCSS?
2) Are there any areas/streets in Buderim we should steer clear of....with all the rain and landslides recently, how has this affected some areas of Buderim?
3) This is the really sad question, but I am sure everyone moving to a new area thinks this, but is it a friendly area to make friends? I am assuming with having young kids we will meet families in the same situation?

We are coming up next week to look at a few properties and our plan is to rent it out if we get somewhere soon. Then , when we get good job offers up there, we will move up...be it very soon, or in a year or so. It would be great, in particular to know about the better areas to look from those in the know
My son goes to Mt ck high.

Buderim has its own state primary school, usual pretty casual primary education, lots of play, little stress.

As far as I am aware it does not have a state high school, bud primary is a feeder school for the Mt creek high, you will find many street in buderim will be in the MT Ck high zone, if not you apply for an exemption. Were not in buderim or mt creek but kid goes to mt creek, exemption due to his brains - they had to have him LOL

Lots of private primary and high options, even the university is at the bottom of Buderim, several childcare and College options too. Hence its popularity with young families.

Slip, 2 houses have been in the media, in a well known slip area. When you buy you put in contract your 14 day building pest clause and and get the engineer/ building inspector to check for slip and do council checks too.

Having young kids is the best time to emigrate, they cant whinge as much about it and you have the bonus of kiddie activites with other parents attached.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jad n rich
My son goes to Mt ck high.

Buderim has its own state primary school, usual pretty casual primary education, lots of play, little stress.

As far as I am aware it does not have a state high school, bud primary is a feeder school for the Mt creek high, you will find many street in buderim will be in the MT Ck high zone, if not you apply for an exemption. Were not in buderim or mt creek but kid goes to mt creek, exemption due to his brains - they had to have him LOL

Lots of private primary and high options, even the university is at the bottom of Buderim, several childcare and College options too. Hence its popularity with young families.

Slip, 2 houses have been in the media, in a well known slip area. When you buy you put in contract your 14 day building pest clause and and get the engineer/ building inspector to check for slip and do council checks too.

Having young kids is the best time to emigrate, they cant whinge as much about it and you have the bonus of kiddie activites with other parents attached.
jad n rich

Thank you so much for the reply, just the kind of info i was after! i thought that the buderim primary would then feed into the mountain creek high, just needed to double check! From all the posts I can find there seems to be such an overwhelming positive attitude about the school.
Primary schools are primary schools, I think, and as long as the kids are happy there and they have motivated and involved parents, I don't think we can go wrong really.
My oldest who would start school next year is so excited about starting that it wouldn't matter where it was!
thanks again for the information.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

1) The primary school in Buderim - any good?
Yes its a nice school. nightmare traffic at pick up but nothing like manchester. My children are 6,4,2 and I figure I'll sort secondary out nearer the time as things change. My children don't go to buderim but I know heaps of kids who do and it is well regarded.

2) Are there any areas/streets in Buderim we should steer clear of....with all the rain and landslides recently, how has this affected some areas of BuderimVery much so. the areas around the steep side of the mountain - dixon road, cogill road have had a lot of easement flooding issues. Defo pay for a good building survey. also termites are an issue in the area. havea look at sunshinecoastdaily.com.au there was a lot of coverage on there and some of my friends have been quite badly affected.
My friend has a nice house on amberton court for sale/needs some work and my other friend has a fab house on somerset drive for sale. I want it! shes moving over to the new area and wants zero garden/town living but her house is nice.

Yes/No/Maybe i really missed Sydney when I came. Its an adjustment you know, just different priorities/different kind of life. I think I had a mourning period getting used to not being able to get food after 5pm on a saturday but I am very happy now.

my kids are the same age so we can catch up have coffee when you arrive if you like.

I meet lots of people all the time, cant really fit them in too well with the kids but there is a nice expat circle for odd bbqs and catch ups but at school you tend to meet other mums and make friends there. And of course sport if your husband or you play any sport

Last edited by odyssey; Mar 2nd 2011 at 9:24 am.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by odyssey
1) The primary school in Buderim - any good?
Yes its a nice school. nightmare traffic at pick up but nothing like manchester. My children are 6,4,2 and I figure I'll sort secondary out nearer the time as things change. My children don't go to buderim but I know heaps of kids who do and it is well regarded.

2) Are there any areas/streets in Buderim we should steer clear of....with all the rain and landslides recently, how has this affected some areas of BuderimVery much so. the areas around the steep side of the mountain - dixon road, cogill road have had a lot of easement flooding issues. Defo pay for a good building survey. also termites are an issue in the area. havea look at sunshinecoastdaily.com.au there was a lot of coverage on there and some of my friends have been quite badly affected.
My friend has a nice house on amberton court for sale/needs some work and my other friend has a fab house on somerset drive for sale. I want it! shes moving over to the new area and wants zero garden/town living but her house is nice.

Yes/No/Maybe i really missed Sydney when I came. Its an adjustment you know, just different priorities/different kind of life. I think I had a mourning period getting used to not being able to get food after 5pm on a saturday but I am very happy now.

my kids are the same age so we can catch up have coffee when you arrive if you like.

I meet lots of people all the time, cant really fit them in too well with the kids but there is a nice expat circle for odd bbqs and catch ups but at school you tend to meet other mums and make friends there. And of course sport if your husband or you play any sport
Thank you so much for the information. really appreciated. when we do eventually make the leap, buy a house in Buderim and secure jobs up there (seems a long list!) I may well be in touch!