Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a House In Adelaide - INFO

Buying a House In Adelaide - INFO

Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Buying a House In Adelaide - INFO

Hello!

Some of you may have noticed my searching random forums and asking stupid questions about buying houses.

I haven't actually bought one yet... BUT...
I have learnt lots about how it all works and what it seems to cost. I thought, in case there are others out there also looking for forum threads and asking much more sensible questions, I'd share that little bit of learning what I did with you....

As usual it's all to big for a forum thread... so it's here!PLEASE comment if you think I've got it wrong /right! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/thumbup.gif
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a House In Adelaide - INFO

Thanks to all those who have visited
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:27 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Seems pretty good to me. One thing that surprised us what that lenders take into consideration if you have children and also how many.

Think the cooling off period is good and I have preferred the system here for the house we bought.

Cheers,
Cooler
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Seems pretty good to me. One thing that surprised us what that lenders take into consideration if you have children and also how many.

Think the cooling off period is good and I have preferred the system here for the house we bought.

Cheers,
Cooler
That's good to know! I'm glad it worked out better... It all just seems a bit sudden!! lol Buy now, check it later, seems a bit scary to me but I can see the benefits in speeding it all up a bit

We don't have children yet, I guess we'll have that joy to come
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Well done - very good, clear advice for everyone in a similar situation.

My only question is about the "adding to mortgage stuff".

We went through a similar process last year and found out, basically we needed to save more. Because our advisor said we needed 10% or 15% and then add on an extra 6% for the stamp duty and other borrowing costs. Therefore needing 21% which is why we're saving like mad.

I know in the UK, it was added to the overall mortgage but certainly from the people (not very many) we've spoken to, it isn't?????

Makes a big difference that bl**dy 6% so if it could've been added I shall be very cranky with my advisor!

I suppose I should've taken 2nd opinions
Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jothefw

We went through a similar process last year and found out, basically we needed to save more. Because our advisor said we needed 10% or 15% and then add on an extra 6% for the stamp duty and other borrowing costs. Therefore needing 21% which is why we're saving like mad.

I know in the UK, it was added to the overall mortgage but certainly from the people (not very many) we've spoken to, it isn't?????

Makes a big difference that bl**dy 6% so if it could've been added I shall be very cranky with my advisor!

The only bit that would be added to the mortgage was the Mortgage Insurance. The rest we'd have to pay for from our savings
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Andrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really nice

Originally Posted by jothefw

At the time your Adviser was probably right, a lot of Banks reduced their Loan to Vale (LVR) ratios due to the GFC.

However you should speak to him again as most lenders have now increased their ratios again and there are lenders now allowing 95% loans with the ability to add the mortgage insurance effectively allowing a 97% lend.

This means that you will only require around 10% in total, 5% deposit and approx 5% costs (stamp duty etc).

Lenders have a habit of changing policy as and when business needs change. There are also a lot of varying policies out there so do not take no for an answer initially as there could be other lenders that will take you on.

Regards

Andy