info advice

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:29 am
Just Joined

fenno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default info advice

I'm sorry for posting the most boring queries but i have so many questions i need answering.
How do people know where the good schools are? and do you register berfore you arrive or after?will there be enough places!!!!
How do people know where a good area is?
Do people rent somewhere before they buy? If so, how.
In what order does everyone do these things?

Am i being a little over caucious here or do people emigrate on a whim without much planning.
I would prefer to have everything in place and ready for our arrival but how do we get all neccacery info?

Me, wife and kids moving house anyway but wondering if life is better over there while we are on move.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:09 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: info advice

Hi there,

If you have a good search around this forum you will find tons & tons of info on the questions you've asked. But as a start I'd suggest: research, research, research! You need to firstly find out whether you are eligible for a visa (try searching the immigration forum), then which city has the best employment prospects for you, and then start researching your suburbs/areas within that city for your info on the best schools and property prices. I would say that most people do rent when they arrive - most stay in a motel/hotel/holiday rental/caravan park for the first few weeks until they secure their rented place. Have a look on realestate.com or domain.com to get a feel for the prices.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: info advice

I found out my info on schools by months all trawling through this and other expat sites, gratefully absorbing all of the info posted by others who had gone before. You tend to get a feel for which ones crop up time and again (together with suburbs) for both positive and negative views.

You can also look on http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/inte...son_Statistics
for the published school results, they only publish the results for year 12 and have both private and state in there. There is no info for primary schools but a lot of people say that nearly all of them are very similar standard and it's mainly high schools that people bother about.

You can also go on http://www2.eddept.wa.edu.au/schoolprofile/home.do for a brief write up of a school plus possibly website details.

For state schools you can't really register before you get here, they have catchment areas and if you live within it they have to take you (except in exceptional circumstances), so to register they want proof that you live within the catchment area. Some schools will take out of catchment children but only if they have the spare space. Most people tend to sort it out when they get here as it gives them a chance to check out the areas and make sure they made the right decision, also to have a look round the schools before making a firm decision.

I assume you can register with private schools before you get here, but I also assume that they would need a firm arrival date. However some private schools do have long waiting lists and I don't know how far in advance they would let you register whilst still in the UK.

There is a function on aussiemove.com that gives you all of the surrounding schools (both private and state) for a particular suburb, that will give you the websites for the private schools.

As with schools most of my info about suburbs was gleaned from these sites, but, also, as with schools it is all subjective. It can depend on what you want from your life here, distance required for work, affordability, what you are used to etc. Another function on aussiemove is a small description and median house prices for various suburbs together with a link to all threads mentioning that suburb.

Most people rent a fully furnished holiday rent for the first few weeks while they get settled, some will do so until their container arrives before moving into a long term unfirnished rent.

Order-wise you get your visa, sell your house (some sell first but get warned against it in case they don't get their visa), book accomodation, flights, car hire then go. (Oh and get job).

You're not being too cautious, some people do come on a whim others, like myself, researched to high heaven, each to their own.

It's a bit of a long post but I remember how it feels and since being here it's one of the few times I have been able to give back to these sites.

Good luck

Jillian