Reload this Page >

Shipping companies

Shipping companies

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:33 am
Just Joined

stmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping companies

Hi,

I have arranged to get quotes from a few shipping companies over the next few weeks. Somewhere on the internet I have seen a list of questions to ask. Does anyone know where I can find this list, or do u have a separate list.

Many thanks
Karen
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

ERAYJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping companies

Hi Try these:

1) Are they BAR Overseas Members (this means you have pre payment protection)
2) What is included in price. Check it is door to door and inc normal customs clearance, full export pack and wrap, and unpack at the other end.
3) Do they use Agents, if so who are they.(if they are used to doing overseas moving the rep should know this. You can then check online to see if there are any probs with the agent)
4)Check all companies are quoting on a similar volume and produce a list of items to be shipped.
5) Check that if it is Full Container that they load onsite. Some companies offer fcl service then take away and consolidate with other traffic. This is cheaper for the company, however it can slow down your consignment or even risks having your belongings returned to the UK if there were a problem with the other load yours was with.
6)Check that the company is offering insurance and not liability. Liability is not protected by FSA or Insurance Ombudsman.
7)If you get one very cheap price and the rest a bit higher, check that the company has a good reputation. Quite often cheap prices mean poor service and subcontracted labour.
8) Make sure it is only their own trained staff who will handle your belongings. Many companies sub out the collection and you have no control over how good or bad the subcontractor may be. They may have been chosen on price alone which could mean cheap material and untrained staff.

I hope that these help and I am sure others may want to add or pass comment. Best of luck