Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Independent Contractor vs Employee !

Independent Contractor vs Employee !

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Wibble_oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Independent Contractor vs Employee !

What are the pros n cons of working as an Independent Contractor against a staff role ?

Ta
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Independent Contractor vs Employee !

with respect, have you thought of searching, there is plenty of information out there.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wibble_oz
What are the pros n cons of working as an Independent Contractor against a staff role ?

Ta
As a contractor who was once a permie, I'd say the grass is always greener on the other side.

You don't quite realise how much things like holiday and sick leave are worth until you need them, financially I think it balances out once leave / super / insurances etc are all taken into account so I don't think I am better off contracting, actually I am a shade better off. but only because the last holiday I took was christmas, when they closed the office and kicked me out the door.

On a personal level I thought it would be great to try out lots of different work environments and then realised I hate the insecurity of always looking for another contract.

One plus for me is that I do my work, I go home. Period. Joe Bloggs & Co get what they pay for out of me and nothing more. No on call, no out of hours work (unless they want to pay me double time :-D
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dogscogs
As a contractor who was once a permie, I'd say the grass is always greener on the other side.

You don't quite realise how much things like holiday and sick leave are worth until you need them, financially I think it balances out once leave / super / insurances etc are all taken into account so I don't think I am better off contracting, actually I am a shade better off. but only because the last holiday I took was christmas, when they closed the office and kicked me out the door.

On a personal level I thought it would be great to try out lots of different work environments and then realised I hate the insecurity of always looking for another contract.

One plus for me is that I do my work, I go home. Period. Joe Bloggs & Co get what they pay for out of me and nothing more. No on call, no out of hours work (unless they want to pay me double time :-D
I totally agree with this. I've done both, and while I earned slightly more as a contractor I think I'd rather be a perm. Especially in the current environment I've seen plenty projects scrapped overnight and contractors terminated on minimum notice.

There is also more of a 'contractor culture' here than the UK and I have been on large project where there are more than 50 contractors (often all independent). This creates a competetive environment and means everyone is watching their backs etc.