Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Overseas high school student

Overseas high school student

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Overseas high school student

My friend in Hong Kong is considering sending her daughter to Australia for her high school years and if she (the daughter) likes it to stay on and take a degree too. As her daughter be regarded as an overseas student will she be permitted to attend state schools? In any case, would her school fees be substantially higher? Would I better contacting the department of education in each of the states that she is interested in?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overseas high school student

Originally Posted by discobay
My friend in Hong Kong is considering sending her daughter to Australia for her high school years and if she (the daughter) likes it to stay on and take a degree too. As her daughter be regarded as an overseas student will she be permitted to attend state schools? In any case, would her school fees be substantially higher? Would I better contacting the department of education in each of the states that she is interested in?
Does the daughter have a visa enabling her to live/study in Aus? Or does she already hold citizenship?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Does the daughter have a visa enabling her to live/study in Aus? Or does she already hold citizenship?
No she has no visa. This is the first stage in her enquiry into studying overseas.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

She would need an international student visa and, yes, she could attend state schools but it will cost her anything from $10k pa upwards. Many Asian kids do that - just a wander around any Aus university and it will be a case of spot the Anglo.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The International Students we have (mainly German and Brazilian) pay about $20,000 for one semester I can think of so many more things to do with my money than that, mind you, there were one or two of them last year who I could fully understand why their parents wanted shot of them for six months
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

That does sound steep. I'll pass the information back that it can cost from $10,000 pa for her daughter's high school education.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Probably easiest to phone the department of education for the state being considered.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
For Queensland, here's the cost (school fees, homestay, insurance, etc) for international students at state schools:
http://www.eqi.com.au/programs/program-fees.html

And the list of Queensland state schools that accept international students:
http://www.eqi.com.au/apps/school-profiles.php

Other states have similar websites, Google's your best friend.

Mrs JTL
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

That is very helpful thank you.