Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Increase in skilled migration

Increase in skilled migration

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dave, Tracy & Emily is on a distinguished road
Default Increase in skilled migration

This will be good news for all those in the skilled cat. waiting for visa's.

Migrants to kickstart economy
By Steve Lewis and Elizabeth Colman
March 03, 2005
THE Howard Government plans a dramatic increase in its migrant intake to the highest level in decades, as part of a bid to help plug the national skills shortage threatening economic growth.

Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone is pushing for a massive one-year rise of 20,000 in skilled places, taking the overall migration program to about 140,000 in 2005-06 - the biggest in nearly 20 years.
It comes amid warnings from the Reserve Bank, which lifted interest rates yesterday to quell consumer spending, that economic growth could be retarded by skills shortages, which would also force up the price of labour and fuel inflation.

Official figures yesterday also showed the economy grew over the past year at just 1.5 per cent, including the worst quarterly growth rate in four years.

Advertisement:
The Vanstone plan, which has yet to be formally considered by cabinet, would see the number of skilled migrant places rise to almost 100,000, compared with a forecast 77,100 this year.

"It's a proposal for a dramatic increase," one well-placed source said.

The migration plan is expected to focus on areas of greatest need, including doctors, mechanics, boilermakers, hairdressers, pharmacists and accountants.

Business groups have been urging the Government to relax restrictions on skilled migrants to address glaring labour shortages across Australia. Coalition MPs have also raised concerns at the difficulties many employers are facing in hiring workers in the bush.

Migration experts stress that the ageing population and the record levels of emigration and skills vacancies require a drastic increase.

While immigration is no longer a hot-button issue politically, Senator Vanstone's bold plan is generating some nervousness in government ranks. It will have a short-term effect on the budget, with higher immigration levels resulting in a series of one-off costs.

But Peter Costello is keen to see a higher level of skilled migration, although he questions whether Australia will be able to compete against other developed economies.

"We should re-fashion our immigration program to skilled immigration. I think we have got places for people. I would like to encourage that," the Treasurer said.

"I don't want to overlook the fact that we should train young Australians in skills and I would say to young Australians, 'There has never been a better time to be a plumber or an electrician - you can make a really decent income'."

But Mr Costello appeared to dampen expectations the Government would allow "guest workers" on short-term working visas.

"Look, in some countries where there are labour shortages they have guest workers, don't they?" he said.

"Singapore does, the Middle East does. I don't think Australia would agree to that.

"I don't think it is a part of the Australian ethos, I don't think it is consistent with our culture and I don't think it would be acceptable."

Senator Vanstone last week flagged a trial program for guest workers, following a recommendation of a foreign affairs committee that the South Pacific could provide workers for Australia.

It is expected cabinet will consider Senator Vanstone's migration plan shortly. The final program will be announced either next month or in the May budget.

Senator Vanstone was in Indonesia last night and unavailable for comment. But it is understood the minister is advocating a relaxation of rules on skilled migrant visas to try to improve prospects of attracting new workers.