Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Income Tax in Oz Question

Income Tax in Oz Question

Old May 2nd 2005, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice
Default Income Tax in Oz Question

I got my first ever payslip outside the UK last Friday and I got collared for paying 333 dollars in tax. If I remember rightly the Inland Revenue has something where you can earn a certain amount before paying tax (it used to be around 3 grand). Doesn't the Oz Tax Office have a similar allowance for new starters or migrants?
Thanks
Neil
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:45 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Income Tax in Oz Question

Are you talking about the tax-free threshold ?

For Australian residents, the first tax bracket, from $0 to $6,000, has a zero marginal rate of tax. Tax is applied to every dollar after this figure. This tax-free amount is called the tax-free threshold.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...u=5053&mfp=001

Old May 2nd 2005, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by Neil S
I got my first ever payslip outside the UK last Friday and I got collared for paying 333 dollars in tax. If I remember rightly the Inland Revenue has something where you can earn a certain amount before paying tax (it used to be around 3 grand). Doesn't the Oz Tax Office have a similar allowance for new starters or migrants?
Thanks
Neil
Even in the UK, when they calculate the tax for the year taking into account the threshold, the tax bill is still divided over the 12 months. I don't ever remember receiving a payslip with absolutely no tax to pay.

Unless I just earn sh** loads.
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:11 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Majj
Even in the UK, when they calculate the tax for the year taking into account the threshold, the tax bill is still divided over the 12 months. I don't ever remember receiving a payslip with absolutely no tax to pay.

Unless I just earn sh** loads.
Majj is right. With PAYG (and PAYE) your thresholds are spread across the year so that you get approximately the same amount of pay each month.

Here are the rates for the current tax year

up to $6,000 0%
up to $21,600 17%
up to $58,000 30%
up to $70,000 42%
above $70,000 47%

You also need to add 1.5% medicare.

Note that if you are only here for part of the tax year, then the first band (i.e. $6000) is reduced (pro rata) but the other bands are not.

Regards
Alistair

Last edited by kirsty&al; May 2nd 2005 at 4:14 am.