Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Improving Kids Lives

Wikiposts

Improving Kids Lives

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:14 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Great discussion btw!

Anyway, carrying on:

Tbh, I still don't see why better social life/better/more outside activities.

Yes, in Oz you will be outside a bit more (though it also rains enough, and is often too hot, and tv/computer is still inside), but here in Europe kids can also play inside(with friends).
And to balance it out, Europe has more things created for indoor fun: pools inside, indoor playgrounds, more museums.

Once again: I'm not saying Oz is worse (I think Dazuk is excaggerating a bit sometimes!) just that I don't think better lives for kids should be the main reason.
And of course this isn't for a lot of you, luckily.
But for another lot it seems like it is.
I still think what McMercer said is the best reason. Some adventure, something different, not something better! And of course not something worse (which it could be if all things are balanced, but you miss family/friends, and kids are a bit older)

So, what do you lot think?

Edited to fix many typing mistakes .........

Last edited by Simone; Jan 27th 2004 at 10:26 am.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:16 am
dazuk

Originally posted by WBB
and he only ever spent 9 months in sydney, i was there longer than that on a working holiday.

well, 9 months gave me an idea of the palce, If I ever wish to return I will, Im married to an Aussie girl after all. I guess it doesnt matter to me to rush to oz as I think England is a great and exiteing country and may retire to Oz, maybe not who knows?

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:21 am
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by dazuk
well, 9 months gave me an idea of the palce, If I ever wish to return I will, Im married to an Aussie girl after all. I guess it doesnt matter to me to rush to oz as I think England is a great and exiteing country and may retire to Oz, maybe not who knows?
if your so easy going about it why are you hellbent on trying to depress the shit out of evey 1 else about going (which your not doing by the way)and your talking to ppl from the uk not just ENGLAND btw
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:22 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Improving Kids Lives

Well were here and doing it. The kids weren't our main reason for moving, the idea had been floated before they arrived. We wanted to do it to see some more of the world. Didn't want to live out the same 9-5 existence and kick back at 60 and say "what have I done with my life".

Yep theres shit over here to but the buckets a bit prettier. We are mortgageless and my wife can run her business part time and be sure she is there for the children. We are in a detatched house in a village 35km from Melb CBD. Our asperation in the UK was to live in a detached house in a village with a village primary. There was no way we could of reached that aspiration without an absolutely crippling mortgage.

I am working a 9 to 5 job again but instead of 3 hours a day commuting I spend just under an hour. Less stressed and more quality time with my kids is a result in my book.

In terms of kids education then I have to say thats a wait and see one. The school has a pretty good track record and the kids seem to really enjoy it. They have taken quite well to the skin protection regime and its now part of the routine. The school gives house points to those children who bring sun block to school to add a little more incentive and fun to the process. Education is in crisis in both UK and Oz from what I have seen and there is a degree of a lottery but you have to do your research, make sure the area you want has some decent schools that you can get your kids into.

Everyone wants something different and a lot of people will not get on here, I can't say that I'm 100% settled yet because I havn't been here anywhere near long enough but we are enjoying living the experience.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt this will get me some stick.

I think a lot of parents use the 'better life for kids' just the way some may take their kids to disneyland.Most kids don't have a clue about the disney characters.It's for the parents.

How do you spend more time in the outdoors when it gets dark not long after you get home?
Are you suggesting it does not rain or get cold in Australia?
It rains more than UK in lots of places.

Kids do their own thing .you can't decide what they do.They will still watch TV,play computers,do homework etc.

It is no safer,no less drugs,no less traffic in most towns,no less school bullies etc.etc.

BP I think you have really hit a raw nerve with this one.

My children live there but went in their 20's by choice. With qualifications and jobs to go to.
One is coming back to UK depite having two degrees and vast experience.To work that pays £60k in the UK but bugger all in Australia.

Go,by all means, but do it for the right reasons

G
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:35 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, good discussion, just everybody keep posting (and try and keep the initial post by bondipom in mind).
I'll be back in the morning, and will be looking forward to lots of replies!

Once again: (yes, I am terrified at being misunderstood!) I'm not saying don't go to Oz, and that Oz is worse than UK or Holland. Just different, some things worse, some things better, lots and lots the same!

Happy posting and good night!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:36 am
dazuk

Originally posted by userjay
if your so easy going about it why are you hellbent on trying to depress the shit out of evey 1 else about going (which your not doing by the way)and your talking to ppl from the uk not just ENGLAND btw
Well Jay, I just find all the bull posted here by desperate pom immos so amusing! Aus has problems like the Uk

There are dangers for kids there, ie drugs, booze and V8 tanks driven by thick as shit hoons. There are teenage mums in oz too!!

The cities are polluted and congested.

House prices are OK if you have loads of UK Sterling from a UK house sale. Once earning the rubber dollar house prices are as shit as being in the SE of England.

Aus TV is worse than UK TV and moving there will not relieve you of the boredom of watching home improvement shows. You will discover the beauty of watching 3 hours of aussie ads, while having a minute or 2 of "film" thrown in.

It rains a hell of a lot on the east coast in summer and then the sun is extreme when it comes out. This is definetely not a beautiful South of France type climate.

As for the ENGLAND comment, its where I live and by the way WBBB i love South Wales, i think the Brecon Beacons with their waterfalls, woodland walks and sheer rugged beauty can compare and shite over most of Aussies parched national parks, just to remind you all that Port Talbot is not South Wales per se

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:38 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Grayling
No doubt this will get me some stick.

I think a lot of parents use the 'better life for kids' just the way some may take their kids to disneyland.Most kids don't have a clue about the disney characters.It's for the parents.

How do you spend more time in the outdoors when it gets dark not long after you get home?
Are you suggesting it does not rain or get cold in Australia?
It rains more than UK in lots of places.

Kids do their own thing .you can't decide what they do.They will still watch TV,play computers,do homework etc.

It is no safer,no less drugs,no less traffic in most towns,no less school bullies etc.etc.

My children live there but went in their 20's by choice. With qualifications and jobs to go to.
One is coming back to UK depite having two degrees and vast experience.To work that pays £60k in the UK but bugger all in Australia.

Go,by all means, but do it for the right reasons

G
Arrghh! I was going to bed!
Anyway, VERY good points!!!

I forgot about the 'if the kids don't know what they're missing'/disneyland point!
HAve thought of it before though, very good point!
If I hadn't lived in Oz with goats/chooks/rabitts, I would've lived in Holland with just a rabbit, and would've been fine with that, cos wouldn't have known what I was missing!

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling

G
I certainly have touched a nerve and I thought I would. It is an important topic and as someone contemplating starting a family it is a subject I am interested in.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:40 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Well daz looks like you made the right move going back to the UK. Good on yer.

Well Jay, I just find all the bull posted here by desperate pom immos so amusing! Aus has problems like the Uk

There are dangers for kids there, ie drugs, booze and V8 tanks driven by thick as shit hoons. There are teenage mums in oz too!!

House prices are OK if you have loads of UK Sterling from a UK house sale. Once earning the rubber dollar house prices are as shit as being in the SE of England.

Aus TV is worse than UK TV and moving there will not relieve you of the boredom of watching home improvement shows. You will discover the beauty of watching 3 hours of aussie ads, while having a minute or 2 of "film" thrown in.

It rains a hell of a lot on the east coast in summer and then the sun is extreme when it comes out. This is definetely not a beautiful South of France type climate.

As for the ENGLAND comment, its where I live and by the way WBBB i love South Wales, i think the Brecon Beacons with their waterfalls, woodland walks and sheer rugged beauty can compare and shite over most of Aussies parched national parks, just to remind you all that Port Talbot is not South Wales per se

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by HUP
Well daz looks like you made the right move going back to the UK. Good on yer.

I odnt htink Daz will be happy anywhere...yesterday he was inh ere complaing about the traffic in London and driving for a living... i'll say it again..(as someone who owned a taxi company there) anyone who goes back to UK to do driving for a living and decides to do it in or around London is bloody bonkers!!

Please note i do not slag off UK ever...i didnt leave because i hated it...
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:45 am
Banned

so you obviously take the line that were not aware of any of these problems & that were going to the east coast & that were gona watch tv all day??by the way how many tadpoles have you got (being the initial start of the thread) just out of curiosity??p.s the west coast of scotland is 1 of the most stunning places in europe but no industry (unless you want to work on a fish farm or forestry commision) i just find your views very closed shop.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:47 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that whatever your reason for wanting to move from the uk to Oz it is never going to be a good enough reason for some.
To those of you who say the weather isnt everything, try living my life for the past 6 years, and you will agree it will be an improvement.
I am moving because I can...(I can hear the shrieks of horror from some already)....and because I want to.
As someone said, it s horrible having to keep the kids indoors 8 months of the year because of the weather.....(and before the UV brigade start jumping up and down, I know all about the skin cancer risks, I have worked in oncology)...and my kids want to play outside ALL THE TIME! Until you have lived in my shoes you dont know the first thing about what is right for my kids, and I beleive moving to somewhere they can play outside for the majority of the year is a good thing.
Moving because of the kids is just one of many reasons.

sue
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:48 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally posted by podgypossum
I dont htink Daz will be happy anywhere...yesterday he was inh ere complaing about the traffic in London
Yep I know, hes the sort of Pom who gets us the "whinging' label . Oh and by the way Daz I aint in the "everythings great in Australia" club I'm in the "I'm giving it a go club." . I'd rather be in that than the "everywhere I go is shit club" . Lifes full of shit get over it and get on with it

Last edited by HUP; Jan 27th 2004 at 10:52 am.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:51 am
Banned

Originally posted by HUP
Yep I know, hes the sort of Pom who gets us the "whinging' label . Oh and by the way Daz I aint in the "everythings great in Australia" club I'm in the "I'm giving it a go club." . I'd rather be in that the "everywhere I go is shit club" . Lifes full of shit get over it and get on with it
pmsl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.