Improving Kids Lives

Improving Kids Lives

Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Simone82
Well, just got up
And I am verrrry impressed!

I think this is still a great 'balanced' discussion!
Verrrrry interesting!!
Simone I wonder if you remember our discussion from before. I think you seem to think the UK is like Holland, I am afraid it isn't. I am German and I can tell you, I am absolutley shocked in what my 5 year old has to do in his first year in primary school. They start here at 4 years old and expect the child to be able to write their names count and spell before they even start school. He is only started in September and he already learned 50 words by recognition and lots more homework as well. If I could just turn off the heat a little for him, I think he would be much happier. It is all about what school are you going to and results from a very young age, I have never come across this in any other country.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by simbacat
Simone I wonder if you remember our discussion from before. I think you seem to think the UK is like Holland, I am afraid it isn't. I am German and I can tell you, I am absolutley shocked in what my 5 year old has to do in his first year in primary school. They start here at 4 years old and expect the child to be able to write their names count and spell before they even start school. He is only started in September and he already learned 50 words by recognition and lots more homework as well. If I could just turn off the heat a little for him, I think he would be much happier. It is all about what school are you going to and results from a very young age, I have never come across this in any other country.
Yep, I guess in that respect it is different.
And I also wouldn't like that part of it in the UK.
Though I still think: if that's the only thing you know, then what does it matter much (obviously you do know there's differences.)
But what about all those other millions of children in the UK? Ar they all unhappy, all brought up wrong, will they all have no future in the UK.

Anyway, yes I do understand you, I don't think that education is everything either. Not that I think it would really be that bad either. A lot of other kids seem to do fine....or not???
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Simone82
Yep, I guess in that respect it is different.
And I also wouldn't like that part of it in the UK.
Though I still think: if that's the only thing you know, then what does it matter much (obviously you do know there's differences.)
But what about all those other millions of children in the UK? Ar they all unhappy, all brought up wrong, will they all have no future in the UK.

Anyway, yes I do understand you, I don't think that education is everything either. Not that I think it would really be that bad either. A lot of other kids seem to do fine....or not???
As you say if that is all you know, you wouldn't be unhappy. So all of those kids in the UK are not unhappy they just live the lives they have to. But there seems to be a lot of parents these days, who want their children out of this rat race. Not all of them go to Australia but lots of them go to Spain and France as well.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:16 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I am an undecided on whether Aus or the UK is better - stupid argument really it depends on lots of factors.

It can be if you make changes that will make your time with your children more productive. But those changes can be very hard to find. We work longer hours here, have less money - but a bigger house and pool, I try and arrange my hours to see more of the children in the early evenings, but husband has job which means working weekends and we cannot survive on one salary. We could move away from the area we live but that would mean longer commute, lower incomes possibly and less choice and further to the beach (which the children do like 4 months of the year) - we didn't visit at all between April and November last year. Moving away would mean changes of schools and we spent a lot of time finding the right schools for our very different children.

On the other hand - the house is huge and the 13 year old boy has super fun when having mates over for privacy and pool and pool table room. We have fun evenings when friends come over round the pool and the kids are in and out quite a bit. We are still finding new things to try. They have had a wider experience by moving countries and I hope it will be of benefit to them regardless. Because we have less extended family here the time we spend as a group of four is more intense both good and bad in that!

As they grow older they will change and have different opinions - they may want to live in Europe/America/Aus - so basically where I live should be secondary to the choices they will want to make I will enjoy them now wherever I live. I didn't believe prior to the move they would be getting it better - just different.

So base line - depends what I focus on - then there is good and bad.

Cheers
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:13 pm
Badge

I do not have any kids but my only experiences with kids were in Australia (family, weeks of looking after 3 hyper kids, or 1 toddler -cousin) America (summer camp).

I am staying with HUP and Hevs (hope you don't mind me using you as an example) and their kids spend all their time with mates who call around. They do house swaps - they have kids for a while, then someone else does it, this appears to be routine and casual - does this happen in UK? Everyones parents mucks in and everyone makes mates of the back of this. There's less dramas generally on the social front. Hev and HUP are doing well and they're all enjoying each other's company. I would love to rock up after work in to a semi rural area and see my kids in the pool like Hup does! The thought of going back to a small 'Brookside' 3 bed semi detached somewhere in the UK (if I was lucky) horrifies me, infact. I'm glad I got out before I even got married.

I am seriously glad I don't have kids in the UK as I can't see this happening quite so much - seriously. For one thing, people are more suspicious.

I think parenthood is probably easier in Australia with regard to BP's 'innocent' timeframe of a kid's life. I can also teach my son(s) footie skills knowing that he (they) will can make full use of them, whereas in England soccer is the go and I would be on a downward and sticky slope. lol (!) Sure, soccer is coming popular, but at least footie is on TV and thus heavily populised.

Much is made of 'too hot' but I'm in Melborne and I am seriously impressed with the weather - not as hot as I found Sydney or Brissy, so their is a degree of scope. Stick on a hat, t shirt, lotion and drink.

I accept that Australian teenagers have issues but this happens in all countries. It's not all V8s and Hooning. In a bad area you will always get hoons. I do know though that Australian kids seem better all rounders, and that free passes to museums are not that great in the big scheme of things. And bugger me, there are museums in Aussie cities, heck there are some even in Aussie small towns.

I also see that people don't 'live' in the UK - it's all work, go down pub, have a kick about in the park. The other day there were thousands of families picnicing at M Zoo on the grass, and a great atmosphere, I can't see this happening in London or Manchester. There would be massive gaps between the families etc.

I think Australia has more interest for a child, there is a pride in flora and fauna and animals, yet in the UK kids don't see interested in British wildlife - who wants to see pigeons, ducks and badgers (!) when you can have roos, bellbirds, kookaburras?

In countries like Canada, Australia people really 'live', there isn't this 'false living', where leisuretime is moreorless spent doing DIY etc. The UK has a massive outdoor scene, but in my opinion it is all about buying loads of gear from Cotswold to pose with and be in some cool uni club. And its not just teenagers. When I was working on a US summer camp the US and Australian counsellors got together and talked about sports, (I was sharing with a bunk load of aussies) outdoors, animals, camps, nature etc there was real common ground - whereas the UK counsellors seemed out of their depth and had no contribution - apart from when it came to the singing when most then started singing soccer songs. In fact that night many got fired.. ;-)

I was interested to read that someone said that we will be giving our kids huge mortgages to pay when they in turn becomes home owners - but this is the same in the UK - it is the children of home owning people that benefit as often it is the release of funds from equity that form deposits later on. The exchange rate means that those of us who were not home owners or modest home owners can improve our lot and get future generations in to the cycle. This is reason enough for many I suppose. Money saved in mortgage outgoings can be saved or reinvested.

Badge

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:18 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Improving Kids Lives

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Because we won't have a mortgage for one! my hubby won't need to work 6/7 days a week from 5am - 6pm then sometimes even later if he has private work! We will spend time together before our daughter is too old to want to spend time with us!
SNAP

Jill (off work feeling crap)

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by badgersmount

I am staying with HUP and Hevs (hope you don't mind me using you as an example) and their kids spend all their time with mates who call around. They do house swaps - they have kids for a while, then someone else does it, this appears to be routine and casual - does this happen in UK?

Yeah, this does happen to some degree, but it is very obvious that nobody particularly 'enjoys' it. Parents I have been involved with, seem happy to palm their kids off on anyone they know, for a few hours, never bother telling them when to come home, never calling to check if all is okay. God I know parents who leave their kids out playing after school and go to the pub! So my kids come home and say they're playing with X, I ask X if their mum knows, response is, she's in the Grey Horse or she's gone to Asda! I could never do that! So, if they end up round our house and it's raining, you end up with all the other kids mucky stuff cluttering up your house as well as your own! I have put a limit of half an hour, then it's round to your own house. We have a big garden but it's no good when it's wet, a rumpus room would be marvelous!

[i]
I also see that people don't 'live' in the UK - it's all work, go down pub, have a kick about in the park. ...leisuretime is moreorless spent doing DIY etc.
Badge
You've obviously been spying on our house as this is a very accurate portrayal of daily life here.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:54 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
SNAP

Jill (off work feeling crap)
Left this forum last night feeling crap . This is so hard you have all put points forward that I can relate to or agree with in parts.

You constantly beat yourself up as a parent that you are making a hash of it and try to do what is best. Our daughters well being is of paramount importance but is not the only reason for the move (we have more family in Oz than the UK).

Obviously all the reasons people have are personal to them and this has been a great thread, even if it has confused my already scary thoughts:scared: . It keeps us re-questioning our reasons, it keeps me awake at night and leaves me with no illusions it will hard.

Good luck to everyone and I really mean that - feeling very weepy - again !!

Jill

Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:03 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is interesting.

We know what our kids are like, what they enjoy and what they dont.

Ours like to play outdoors in the fresh air, going to parks and stuff. Being stuck inside for most of the year (hand on heart tell me you go outside with the kids to a park when its p#ssing down) cos the weathers crap. If we do leave the house co the kids are fed up, we going to and indoor play area. Its still indoors!

We know that in OZ/NZ we wont be outdoors 27/7 ect. but it is nice to have the option for most of the year. If its too hot we will take to kids to an indoor play area, like if it was raining here.

We know that other areas still have similar social problems as the UK. We will try to minimise these by choosing a good area and educating our kids on what is right and wrong. I realise we cannot protect them from everything but they do have to learn for themselves as well.

As for us working harder and having less holidays together because we wont be earnig as much as in the UK. Well fortunately for us we wont have any mortage/debt so hopefully the above is not applicable to us. Yes we will have to work and bring in a certain amount, but I am certain we wont have the pressures we have now.

Also I would hate be in a nursing home when I am 80 whingeing about what I should have done when I was younger. We have 1 life and I for 1 am going to live it to the max.

If we move to OZ/NZ and dont like it. We sell up come back here and get jobs and carry on from where we left off. At least we would have given it a go.

Each family as different expectations and dreams of what they want for their kids. I dont for one minute think that what our idea of a perfect life is, is everyone elses. Live your life and enjoy. If it doesnt work out for whatever reason at least youve tried.

Good luck

Jack

PS I will now take cover and cling on to my ass whilst I still have one
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:12 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Go Bananas!

Please do not weep over your feelings - your love of your children is the most important feeling - I go up and down like a jack in the box. I do not know right/wrong but what I do know the little blighters grow up and will tell you

I moved Northern Ireland to England a few times of the whims of my parents during divorce and doing what is best as they saw it etc. Father left and became a Canadian and I had the opportunity to go there but didn't. I travelled loads in my youth, had a lot of moans about decisions my parents took - but to be honest mostly when I found something hard and it was easier to blame them and not me.

Now with my own I know there is no magic wand/country - you are best for your children, as long as you love and care and make the effort it will be good experience - even the shitty bits! SO the positive is you not the place.

The one very personal experience I will add - it can be very tough on a marriage and I know mine is a strong one - I know this because never once did I blame/hate the silly sod for wanting to emmigrate to Aus, nor has he shot me for moaning so much

Cheers
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:15 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Jack Daws

Ours like to play outdoors in the fresh air, going to parks and stuff. Being stuck inside for most of the year (hand on heart tell me you go outside with the kids to a park when its p#ssing down) cos the weathers crap. If we do leave the house co the kids are fed up, we going to and indoor play area. Its still indoors!

We know that in OZ/NZ we wont be outdoors 27/7 ect. but it is nice to have the option for most of the year. If its too hot we will take to kids to an indoor play area, like if it was raining here.

We know that other areas still have similar social problems as the UK. We will try to minimise these by choosing a good area and educating our kids on what is right and wrong. I realise we cannot protect them from everything but they do have to learn for themselves as well.

As for us working harder and having less holidays together because we wont be earnig as much as in the UK. Well fortunately for us we wont have any mortage/debt so hopefully the above is not applicable to us. Yes we will have to work and bring in a certain amount, but I am certain we wont have the pressures we have now.

Also I would hate be in a nursing home when I am 80 whingeing about what I should have done when I was younger. We have 1 life and I for 1 am going to live it to the max.

If we move to OZ/NZ and dont like it. We sell up come back here and get jobs and carry on from where we left off. At least we would have given it a go.

Each family as different expectations and dreams of what they want for their kids. I dont for one minute think that what our idea of a perfect life is, is everyone elses. Live your life and enjoy. If it doesnt work out for whatever reason at least youve tried.

Good luck

Jack

I work for a group of Nursing homes and a few weeks back got talking with a family of a lady who had just unfortunately passed away. She was nearly 107 !!!!!! and had had the most fab life . She had lived in the UK , Canada, back to the UK, Oz, NZ, Oz and back to the UK in our Care Home. She had raised a well balanced family who were all over the world and loved her dearly for giving them the chances she did.
I just thought to myself, if I am going to end up in a Care Home then I at least want to have some damn good memories and plenty of photo's to look back on.

Oh by the way , I agree with the rest of your post too (in a similar situ).

Jill

Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

this is an interesting thread isnt it .
Nosuchluck you had said in one thread , this isnt about money and what you have in the bank , but you commented on how you are coming out and wont have a mortage !!! Some of us arent sadly as lucky as that we will have to work long hours , just as we did in the UK , but even not having a mortage , you still need a decent wage to live on here , it seems to be a never ending stream of bills , bills and more bills. Hubby gets up before 5am and doesnt get home till 4.30 - 5.00 pm good days , he does 5 and half days a week , i have also been working 36 hours a week , in the UK i didnt work i was able to stop at home with the kids , i cant sadly again do that here.
The kids are happy which is good , some days they dont go out its to hot , then like today i said shall we go to the beach ? Nah thats boring , oh ok , the water slides nah done that , so its no different to home . At home though they could play out all weathers couldnt they , we dont get the extreme weather like here. But on the whole they seem ok , crime here is worse than were we came from , so its a little frightning , we have had in the 15 months we have been here within a mile radius 5 murders , to some of you from UK that may be the norm , but for us country bumpkins its not , and its frightning. My son said all the kids are into Tagging at the moment , and judging by the whole of perth at the moment , yes i agree , they graffiti everything and anything.
Suppose only time will tell if the kids have had a succesful upbringing here , im actually worried for the kids , but i think for me that would be where ever we were in the world as i worry for them , its a bad world isnt it.
Joanne
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
I work for a group of Nursing homes and a few weeks back got talking with a family of a lady who had just unfortunately passed away. She was nearly 107 !!!!!! and had had the most fab life . She had lived in the UK , Canada, back to the UK, Oz, NZ, Oz and back to the UK in our Care Home. She had raised a well balanced family who were all over the world and loved her dearly for giving them the chances she did.
I just thought to myself, if I am going to end up in a Care Home then I at least want to have some damn good memories and plenty of photo's to look back on.

Oh by the way , I agree with the rest of your post too (in a similar situ).

Jill
I have a Great Aunt (or something) who lives in British Columbia and she is 106. She has lived in Canada since she was a girl, along with her 6 sisters. She is the eldest.

Apparently, she is still very sprightly and holds on to all of her marbles!

sandy
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Jack Daws

Good luck

Jack

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments Jack Daws and have pretty much the same reasons for going as you.

Everyone has their reasons and no-one's are any more valid or right than anyone else's...no matter what some people on this forum would have us believe.

Good luck to you too.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Try keeping them out of the beautiful cancerous rays. There is more to life than weather.
Although I am seeking a move to Oz...........wether is only a part of the deal.

I'll miss our wonderful museums.............if it's pissing down, try a visit to the Natural History or Science museum as they are just bloody superb.............helps if you live in the South though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.