Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:17 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

with the influx of certain migrants to the uk i bet a lot has shifted culturally!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:19 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

Originally Posted by commonwealth
with the influx of certain migrants to the uk i bet a lot has shifted culturally!
That is really the unspoken topic isn't it.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
That is really the unspoken topic isn't it.
Unspoken? I don't think so! Squillions of hours of debate on the subject on here in the past!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
I thought many had moved back...
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
No different to someone in the opposite situation I would assume, there are plenty of people happy with their lives in Australia that spend loads of time on here Where have I slagged off someones choice of home ?
The UK is far from perfect BUT it is perfect for us
Home as in home where a person resides, not their house! I'm pleased you have found your prefect place, however still can't understand why you come on here running Australia down? We're all different, thank god

And no I wasn't being rude just stating a fact
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:19 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by curly
I've never commented on any of your posts before, I'd like to ask if the UK is so perfect and you're there living on Cloud 9 why are you always on here?
I'm perfectly happy where I'm living too, yet don't feel the need to slag off anybody else's choice of home Also I don't hang around in the 'Moving back to the UK forum!'

Sorry Buzzy for hijacking your thread, enjoyed reading about your experience in the UK We've also been here 5 years, however haven't been back at all!

What a good question he is living the dream in cyberspace, posting on BE.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CindyHelens
Oh yeah... and how about some cultural differences between Australia and England... are there any changes yet?
I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean. Australia is leaning much more toward Asian migration now and that is showing there but cultural differences between here and Australia, not really sure ?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:40 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Yes OP....it HAS turned into a UK v Oz posting!!!
I must say though that I found Curlys posting quite rude. Quote "I've never commented on any of your posts before, I'd like to ask if the UK is so perfect and you're there living on Cloud 9 why are you always on here?
I'm perfectly happy where I'm living too, yet don't feel the need to slag off anybody else's choice of home Also I don't hang around in the 'Moving back to the UK forum!'

He never slagged anyone off. He also has as much right as anybody to post on here as he was an expat and anyway this forum is open to all. When ever I hear the term 'slag off' it makes me think less of the person saying it especially when it is completely wrong and stated in a defensive manner.
The OP made a subjective assessment of their experience going back to UK, some people agree with it and can emphasise and some people disagree and can't see the same vision. That's all cool. We all choose to leave or stay or visit based upon our own experiences. As I stated before I love our life here, but I do miss the UK, warts and all.
Its good to debate but as soon as its gets to a bullying stage, which it nearly has here, then that's when you need to look at yourselves and think what you are saying. Mob mentality does rule on BE sometimes.
Thanks, yeah it was rude but no more so than I have come to expect in here to be honest, not the OP specifically. As you say the mob mentality is unfortunately rearing it's ugly head but you get that
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that had they gone to a different part of the UK, perhaps many of the comments would be totally different, some better, some perhaps worse, and that if people visited different parts of Australia, they would have different stories to tell.
As for the stinging nettles, as they aren't dangerous, just a bit uncomfortable, perhaps it would be simpler to let then touch them, they would only do it once..
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:01 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
What a good question he is living the dream in cyberspace, posting on BE.
I think Chris is an easy target for people who think that the UK is a dive and Australia is God's Utopia, because he doesn't agree.

I have a great life in Australia, I had a great life in the UK - yet I spent and spend incredible amounts of time online - I don't see how the two are so mutually exclusive..

I never thought I'd say this but Chris doesn't run everything down in Australia (even if he does have a habit of trying to make every comparison a competition)
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:02 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I suspect that had they gone to a different part of the UK, perhaps many of the comments would be totally different, some better, some perhaps worse, and that if people visited different parts of Australia, they would have different stories to tell.
As for the stinging nettles, as they aren't dangerous, just a bit uncomfortable, perhaps it would be simpler to let then touch them, they would only do it once..
And then you can introduce them to the wonderful soothing world of dock leaves
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:07 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dreamy
And then you can introduce them to the wonderful soothing world of dock leaves
I also used Dock leaves when I was in the woods and needed a crap.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I think Chris is an easy target for people who think that the UK is a dive and Australia is God's Utopia, because he doesn't agree.

I have a great life in Australia, I had a great life in the UK - yet I spent and spend incredible amounts of time online - I don't see how the two are so mutually exclusive..

I never thought I'd say this but Chris doesn't run everything down in Australia (even if he does have a habit of trying to make every comparison a competition)
I'm not sure if this discussion would have ever raised it's head 10 years ago, when the $A was lower, and Australia was in the "good times" of growth, people could sell up in the UK and tranfer a good chuck of change over and be pretty comfortable. Things have changed and in some respects it's easier for someone from the UK to make a good wedge of dollars in Oz and send them home. On the other hand those who are looking to move country forever may not find it so easy.

I'm with you. There's things in both the UK and Oz I love and I'm hopeful I'm pretty open minded on the subject. I will continue to be a ping pomer and proud of it.

You are right though, Chris does have a habit of turning this into a competition. Not sure what happen to him in Oz but there's some deep seeded bad feeling toward the place. As someone suggested take it with a grain of salt.

The poster did mention in the original post that this thread might turn into a competition.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:19 pm
Banned

The UK is a fantastic country, it's one of the best countries in the world, so is Australia, although some would have us believe both are third world countries.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 10:13 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The poster did mention in the original post that this thread might turn into a competition.
I'm not sure I understand this point about the 'competition'.

The OP made many comparisons. So either, no one replies - not a competition. Everyone agrees - not a competition. People post opposing views or discuss those comparisons relating to where they live - suddenly it's a competition!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.