Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

Old Oct 31st 2012, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

Originally Posted by mavine1

The trains on our line from surrey to London were comfortable, clean, fast, quiet. And full mostly of business men and women, kids out shopping and the odd drunken dickhead late at night. We recently got the train from Brisbane to Helensvale at 8pm on a saturday and it will be the last. The amount of 'high' young adults screaming and causing a scene on the train was distressing. One lot would get off and another lot would take their place. My daughter aged 10 was very upset. The train was packed so we couldn't change carriage and there didn't seem to be any ticket personnel or security present at any part of our journey. Possibly a one off but it was enough to make us decide to take the car next time. In Oz I am not constantly aware of the threat of terrorism. My husband worked in London for 7 years and I worried regularly about the threat. I don't worry here.
I see regional transport in Australia as attracting the marginalised and a particular demographic- as everyone else will drive. It won't match the affluent coming in from London suburbs/home counties.

I do remember though in London that different lines attracted different people.

I used to travel from SE London to SW London and go via Waterloo East and Waterloo, respectively. Chalk and cheese!
Old Oct 31st 2012, 6:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I see regional transport in Australia as attracting the marginalised and a particular demographic- as everyone else will drive. It won't match the affluent coming in from London suburbs/home counties.

I do remember though in London that different lines attracted different people.

I used to travel from SE London to SW London and go via Waterloo East and Waterloo, respectively. Chalk and cheese!
I'm not sure regional really comes into it. You can get exactly the same experience on a tram in Melbourne...I've sat on plenty of trams where everyone just sits quietly hoping the yobbos don't choose to interact with them!
Old Oct 31st 2012, 8:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm not sure regional really comes into it. You can get exactly the same experience on a tram in Melbourne...I've sat on plenty of trams where everyone just sits quietly hoping the yobbos don't choose to interact with them!
And indeed in Brisbane, some absolute horror stories on the trains there.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Come on the Ticket inspectors dont get on that often.

Got to admit, travelling on Melbourne Trains late at night is the dodgiest public transport experience I've had. Never had even an inkling of a problem on a tram before though. Although I did have very close to a brawl with a tram conductor years back when he dinged for the door to be shut between my hand and my then toddlers hand as we were getting on a tram back in the 80's.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Sydney it is the trains where you seem to get the most trouble, while the buses for the most part are fine. Whereas in London, in my experience the trains where mostly OK - and it was the buses where you got the scumbags.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:00 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Here in Sydney it is the trains where you seem to get the most trouble, while the buses for the most part are fine. Whereas in London, in my experience the trains where mostly OK - and it was the buses where you got the scumbags.
+1 (in general, although must admit I get late trains back from Sydney and never had any issues yet....mostly because I just crash!!)
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Of course - but the fact is, regional can be a bit dodgy - and you'll get people on trams in Melbourne who you wouldn't see high, or with a stubby (etc) on a regional train.
My point is that there are people who get the train because they have to - many people who get trams in Melbourne have options - live on a tram line in Melb
and you are considered to be lucky.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
That's because the hoodies want the cheaper or free option of a bus. I used to laugh when an inspector would get on at the front door, and the hoodies would make a hasty exit for the back door.