Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a stove

Importing a stove

Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

treefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nice
Default Re: Importing a stove

Originally Posted by hevs
Thats a brilliant thread, made me lol at the "most Aussies wouldnt know they were being ripped off" bit
Yep that's the problem as internet shopping is a new thing so they just think its normal. Still amazes me the amount of people in my office (big 4 bank in Melb cbd) that have internet at home. Still hopefully it will slowly change for the better
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treefingers
Yep that's the problem as internet shopping is a new thing so they just think its normal. Still amazes me the amount of people in my office (big 4 bank in Melb cbd) that have internet at home. Still hopefully it will slowly change for the better
Hopefully, and that people do proper research into companies here plus the UK that are the same product
http://www.belling.com.au/about-us/
http://www.belling.com.au/whats-happened-to-stoves/
This is the Belling supplier in Australia...stating that the cookers are made in the UK and shipped here, and that they supply all parts etc etc.....

Last edited by hevs; Oct 11th 2011 at 9:35 am.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:55 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone who has already imported cooking items tell me if it would be feasible to import Englands Glory matches?
Thank you.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treefingers
Not much difference according to this...

http://www.internetworldstats.com/sp/au.htm

http://www.internetworldstats.com/eu/uk.htm

Do agree that people here do not believe... refuse to believe.... cannot accept they are being ripped off though.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:58 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Quick up date (in a non wigging out, calm fashion ) The friends stove arrived.
It was just a simple flexi hose attachment, available anywhere, that screwed into the valve on the back of the stove and on the other end onto the regulator, about 2 mins work, then the test with soapy water, job done! No issue whatsoever with the fitting of the gas, the gas plumber was flumoxed as to why they asked...
The only issue they had was with their old fuse box. The sparky ssaid because the stove has 4 ovens and you would have to assume that you woulkd use them all at once, that their antiquated box didnt have enough to isolate it properly, so they need a new box. But thats not due to it coming from the UK obviously. He was so impressed with it he is looking into ordering one himself....
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Quick up date (in a non wigging out, calm fashion ) The friends stove arrived.
It was just a simple flexi hose attachment, available anywhere, that screwed into the valve on the back of the stove and on the other end onto the regulator, about 2 mins work, then the test with soapy water, job done! No issue whatsoever with the fitting of the gas, the gas plumber was flumoxed as to why they asked...
The only issue they had was with their old fuse box. The sparky ssaid because the stove has 4 ovens and you would have to assume that you woulkd use them all at once, that their antiquated box didnt have enough to isolate it properly, so they need a new box. But thats not due to it coming from the UK obviously. He was so impressed with it he is looking into ordering one himself....

Yehp had a similar issue with our oven and the Ampage... takes a 32 amp connection. A lot of old houses similar to mine only have 40 amp connections. Luckily mine was rewired before I moved in, back in the late 70's I assume. Even then they only have 63 amp supplies after that you have to go to 3 phase. Learnt all of this during the course of this renovation. Checked with my Electrician who had to take the meter off to look at the incoming wiring. Will be right at our limit when we have the two reverse cycle air cons attached.

Ended up getting our Induction 2 oven Belling for 1750.... as an off the floor special during the Clive Peeters/HN changeover, circa 45 pct cheaper than list price.... at least 300 bucks under their supposed invoice price. Even that is 500 bucks or so dearer than the UK price.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

I am astounded.

Why would anyone go through the effort of importing Belling or Stoves ?..I would sooner take my chances with something off the boat from China

From what I can gather the main question here is about gas appliances and the differences.

You should have no problem connecting any UK gas cooker which has an equivalent sold in Australia (as you rightly pointed out earlier Rangemaster brand is sold as Falcon in oz but do not confuse with the Falcon range sold in the UK which are completely different models).

The main difference will be that the imported model will not have a compliance plate in it, however to bring a model into Australia and have the right to sell it there manufacturers have to send it off for testing at a cost of £5000/model. This covers the current model and any further variations (proving this is no more than a money making venture for the australian government since how do they know a modification still fits any requirements they may have!). The fact that the model you have has an Australian equivalent should be proof enough to an insurance company that they cannot wriggle out of a claim since it would definitely be possible to get a confirmation from the manufacturer that only the gas jets are changed to obtain certification.

As far as I can tell from customers I have supplied in Australia over the years the most work they have had to do is to change the gas jets which is quite a simple task for anyone competent with a screwdriver or no more than 20 minutes work for a gas fitter

Incidentally, if anyone wants to ask any questions regarding the whirlpool thread mentioned earlier through BE then feel free to msg me here (I am one of the regular posters on that thread).
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:33 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Importing a stove

Originally Posted by EllisG
I am astounded.

Why would anyone go through the effort of importing Belling or Stoves ?..I would sooner take my chances with something off the boat from China
Which brands would you recommend?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Which brands would you recommend?
very much depends what you are after. Of the British cooker manufacturers left the only ones I'd really say was still of acceptable quality was Aga Rangemaster and Britannia, however our forte is the top end of the market (we sell a lot of Wolf cooking appliances from the States...v expensive though !! ).

The problem with both Wolf Britannia and Rangemaster is they do not make smaller than 90cm wide. In my opinion most of the 60-90 cm freestanding cookers in the market place leave a lot to be desired and if at all possible I would try my best to incorporate a built in oven and hob into my kitchen plan and furnish it with German appliances such as BSH group (Bosch Neff Siemens Gaggenau) or Miele.

If I had to choose a smaller freestanding cooker personally I would look at the Smeg cookers for a number of reasons. I like the look of them and have always found them to have great functionality. Another plus point for buying Smeg is that the director of Smeg's service company in the UK is a personal friend of mine and I was actually asking him last week trying to get details of any alterations they have to make for the Austalian market (the conclusion I made was it can only be the gas jets in the hob since they only offer Electric multifunction ovens)..he happened to mention that the guys at Smeg Service in Australia are really on the ball, an essential when dealing with any foreign manufacturer.

Hope this info helps and I really do urge you to read that thread at whirlpool which has lots of great first hand experience from people currently importing appliances into Australia
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:56 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Importing a stove

very much depends what you are after. Of the British cooker manufacturers left the only ones I'd really say was still of acceptable quality was Aga Rangemaster and Britannia, however our forte is the top end of the market (we sell a lot of Wolf cooking appliances from the States...v expensive though !! ).

The problem with both Wolf Britannia and Rangemaster is they do not make smaller than 90cm wide. In my opinion most of the 60-90 cm freestanding cookers in the market place leave a lot to be desired and if at all possible I would try my best to incorporate a built in oven and hob into my kitchen plan and furnish it with German appliances such as BSH group (Bosch Neff Siemens Gaggenau) or Miele.

If I had to choose a smaller freestanding cooker personally I would look at the Smeg cookers for a number of reasons. I like the look of them and have always found them to have great functionality. Another plus point for buying Smeg is that the director of Smeg's service company in the UK is a personal friend of mine and I was actually asking him last week trying to get details of any alterations they have to make for the Austalian market (the conclusion I made was it can only be the gas jets in the hob since they only offer Electric multifunction ovens)..he happened to mention that the guys at Smeg Service in Australia are really on the ball, an essential when dealing with any foreign manufacturer.

Hope this info helps and I really do urge you to read that thread at whirlpool which has lots of great first hand experience from people currently importing appliances into Australia
Thanks for the info.

The Whirlpool thread shows just how much price-gouging is rampant among European retailers to the Australian market. Incredible to see them charging us almost 150% more than they charge UK customers. No wonder we can't get decent prices over here.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 2nd 2011 at 3:14 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

I am astounded.

Pft, whatever, they get great reviews and are nice to look at and cook perfectly, they also offer a way better spec than falcon and yes, poor me couldnt stretch to an aga..... Its down to personal choice and as for importing it? Theres no effort, just huge savings.....

Last edited by hevs; Nov 18th 2011 at 10:39 am.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:28 am
Just Joined

MichaelF is an unknown quantity at this point

I am astounded.

As far as I can tell from customers I have supplied in Australia over the years the most work they have had to do is to change the gas jets which is quite a simple task for anyone competent with a screwdriver or no more than 20 minutes work for a gas fitter

Incidentally, if anyone wants to ask any questions regarding the whirlpool thread mentioned earlier through BE then feel free to msg me here (I am one of the regular posters on that thread).
Hi EllisG
I have been reading all the posts from this forum and whirlpool on importing a range cooker. We are looking at purchasing a Rangemaster Classic from the UK. As you have mentioned the gas pressure is different and the jets would need to be changed. My question is - who will sell me the Australian sized jets? I don't imagine the Australian distributer of Rangemaster (Falcon) is going to give them to me given I am not purchasing through them.

Cheers
Michael
Old Apr 6th 2012, 1:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Just thought Id update. Stove is here, it plumbed in, no new jets needed, no quiery from the electrician or the plumber and they were baffled as to why I asked if there was.
The stove is a total dream love love love it and worth every pound
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Great, nice to know another of these myths that Australia won't accept foreign goods is shown to be wrong.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We bought this Belling from HN here as an off the floor special when they changed from Clive Peeters for $1750. Really enjoying the induction top, tis a joy to use.

http://www.prestigeappliances.com.au...-hotplate.html

They only cost 700 quid in the UK though. So 700 dollars at current exchange rates cheaper than the cheapest possible price in Aus.... probably makes a 300 dollar difference landed ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.